Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I break into PR with the minimum amout of noobtime?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I break into PR with the minimum amout of noobtime?

I'm thinking about trying out PR for the first time soon. I've ghosted the forum here for a little while, and read through the intended use of vehicles and weapons (an issue we have with 2142 to a very limited extent).

Is there a noob instruction thread on etiquette and advice on how not to drive your team crazy? I'm a bit intimidated by the game's rep, and want to get started the right way. I know almost nothing about it, and haven't installed the game or looked through any documentation yet. Thanks!

Re: How can I break into PR with the minimum amout of noobtime?

Aye, actually, a few more of the 3rd were talking about checking this mod out more last night.

Comment

The beginner's documentation I think you're looking for is the manual which comes with the download of PR. Join in at password nights and join a squad that's willing to teach you the ropes.
      Don't attempt to fly choppers or any kind of airborne vehicle before training on a private server.
      Supressive fire actually works in PR, so use it often.
      Remember that PR is relatively slow paced compared to vanilla. So take you're time and don't be afraid to ask.
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

It really isn't too bad. Just a few key things to learn really. When I first started I found that most everyone in-game was helpful and didn't really care that you were new. If I were you, I would get in-game with some of guys and just ask questions. It is a lot easier to explain things that way.

Comment

1. READ the PDF placed on your desktop when you install. The PR guide is even GREAT for longtime players like myself to consult from time to time.
          2. Like Crawlingeye said, be aware that flight physics are VERY hard to get good at in this game. I had been playing PR for over 6 months before I began flying choppers with success. I havent even moved onto jets (Lack of joystick though..)
          3. Stick to basic infantry for now. Learn the 4 classes, and know them by heart. (Cept SF)
          Skud

Comment

I know flight mechanics have changed a ton, but are the controls the same layout for vanilla? Joystick the most preferred, even for helicopters?

Definitely gonna try and do another private server and figure out how to get a pilot kit correctly to check out stuff.

Comment

I found PW nights to be a great night to learn. I don't play PR much, but when you are in the mood, there is nothing like it.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I don't get a lot of free time all together, but I've been hankering for a whack at this for quite a while.

Comment

Just dont get intimidated the first time you play or lose. It happens and is part of the game. Many people try it, get frustrated when they lose or do something, and never come back.
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                    Just dont get intimidated the first time you play or lose. It happens and is part of the game. Many people try it, get frustrated when they lose or do something, and never come back.
                    Also, one of the hardest things to get a grip on is figuring out who to shoot at. It takes good use of the minimap and in game spotting. So, TK's are inevitable...just try to minimize it and don't let it get to you. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Speaking from a noob point of view, all of the suggestions above are spot on. Go for infantry first as either a rifleman or something else you are familiar with. There are small changes to each kit, but nothing too hard to grasp. This isn't a game to just jump in and wing it. I tried that and was immediately confused about the crewman kits for Armor and how kits were obtained. As said above, read the manual. It may be a pain to read when you can't get your hands dirty in the game to help you understand but at least give the manual a good once over. Then play a few rounds and then go back and study the parts that had you a little stumped. It's not a hard game to get the hang of, just different from vBF2 and you have to steer your brain away from that.

Also, I wouldn't plan on doing much at first except being a regular guy in the squad. Some kits are scarce and hard to come by, like HAT, Sniper and Marksman. K.I.S.S. is definitely something to keep in mind. For the first week of playing I stayed on my SL's six and just watched, listened and learned.

I am just now getting over my total noob-ness and am now moving up to vehicle noob-ness. I have gotten the hang of my normal Engineer and Support kits and have tried out other kits to get a better understanding of how they work. You never know when your Squad's HAT guy goes down and you will be asked to pick up his kit and use it effectively. Vehicles also take a little getting used to over vBF2. Being a vehicle crew-member takes a little more thought and you definitely have to coordinate with the other crew to successfully spot and engage the enemy targets.

And yes, don't get discouraged if you feel sort of lost in PR after mastering BF2 when you first get online and play. It was a bit intimidating to me since I am new at TG and didn't want to make a complete fool of myself. I still make mistakes and frequently take pot shots at team members in the distance (sorry guys) but I've been at it about two weeks now and I feel I am a much more effective team member and I am gaining confidence. Not enough to take on a Squad of my own, but I am much more comfortable in game than I was when I started.

Just my .02

Comment

The 2142 guys wont have as much of a problem with this as most other gamers would. They're already used to pesky things like uniforms being extremely similar and hard to differentiate and learning the ins and outs of kits.

The major things you have to keep in mind when you play PR:
                        -The game moves infinitely slower than 2142. Sometimes there is a constant battle going on, but most of the time, you sit and wait.
                        -Everyone in 2142 was hugely impressed with the massive size of the Highway Tampa map, in PR, that size map is the norm.
                        -Kits are not variable. You only get the equipment that comes standard with the kit. No upgrades.
                        -You can change out kits mid-game to specialty kits, such as Heavy Anti-Tank or sniper kits. You just have to know when and where to do so.
                        -You dont have crosshairs.
                        -Your chances of getting kicked from the server are 1000x what they are in 2142, not for misbehaving, but for negative score that comes with dying in a vehicle or some such nonsense, and it does get annoying. Thankfully, 60 seconds later, you can come back.

I highly recommend you just dive in and give it a go if you're interested. As always, look for other TG members to show you the ropes. Most people who are actually interested in learning can pick up the game in 1-2 rounds (1 round MAX if it's kashan desert). Of course, like any other game, you'll learn the nuances and intricacies of pro PR gameplay as you go on.

Comment

If you need any "In-game" help...let me know.

Just look for the TG Assault squad and I will personally show you the ropes:)
                          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                            If you need any "In-game" help...let me know.

Just look for the TG Assault squad and I will personally show you the ropes:)
                            ...if you're quick enough to get in...

Any advice I would give has pretty much been covered. The only thing I would add is just let your squad leader know you are new to the mod and want to learn. If he doesn't seem interested in having a noob in his squad, look for another. There are plenty of SLs who take pride in teaching guys the 'right way' to play, so you'll find one fairly quickly. You won't regret giving PR a try...

~Pilot

|
                            |

Comment

My suggestions are:

If you want to pilot, even though it takes a long time of experience, get into one of the pilot squads that usually pop up on Kashan during PW nights, most of the time they are lead by members of the Pirate Wing, which is one of the Irregular platoons. Im sure they can help anyone who is interested in flying.

My other suggestion is when you play on the Insurgents, join a squad lead by Gumball or Warehouse, or even BigGaayAl if he comes back to PR. After the experiences I have had with each of them, they know how to use the civilian very well. Such as protecting the SL, or just jumping around in front of an APC, or even grappling hooking your way on to light poles on the side of the road in Al Basrah.

Almost forgot, if you squad with Dirtboy, don't let him sing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X