No announcement yet.

Commanders...please identify yourself!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commanders...please identify yourself!

No, this isn't a poll to see who does the commander role on a regular basis although those people of course deserve our thanks. :)

Just a request to commanders to please identify themselves when they are talking to squads.

I ended up doing SL (US) during a round of Phoenix last night where my squad was defending the market. I kept hearing chatter about what was happening at the western flag and eventually figured out by the end of the round that at least some of that was the commander. ;) So needless to say my squad may have gotten some unnecessary, rather stern comments from me about remaining focused on our mission. :row__687: It didn't even occur to me that it might have been the commander speaking because I didn't know some of the squad members and the commander had already verified our defense assignment.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Commanders...please identify yourself!

Im confused here. Are you stating that you had no idea what your mission objective was because of "chatter" from the commander? If so, Do you want "future" commanders to identify themselves when speaking? I have been guilty of stating objectives and not directing individual squads, but I also like to give the general layout of the battleplan as it is unfolding throughout the game. Then, we continue to raise awareness and take individual squad plans into consideration. As a note, I still notice NON-VOIP SL, Commanders leading in the games, which is fine, but please acknowledge your teammates.

Comment

When I command I usually start with "Squad x.." That way everyone knows who I am talking to, and (hopefully) no one gets confused. The only way for me to communicate is to talk to all squads, the individual squad voip doesn't work for me.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by DoorGunner53E View Post
        Im confused here. Are you stating that you had no idea what your mission objective was because of "chatter" from the commander? If so, Do you want "future" commanders to identify themselves when speaking? I have been guilty of stating objectives and not directing individual squads, but I also like to give the general layout of the battleplan as it is unfolding throughout the game. Then, we continue to raise awareness and take individual squad plans into consideration. As a note, I still notice NON-VOIP SL, Commanders leading in the games, which is fine, but please acknowledge your teammates.
        I knew what my objective was, it was just confusing since the chat I was getting was very localized to a part of the map I wasn't at. I thought it was just the SMs looking at the map and making observations and recommendations which happens often enough. :) As a SL I need to know what's coming from the commander (who I try my best to obey) and what's coming from the SMs. Something as simple as starting off "Commander to ..." would do the trick. Or Nardini's example of "Squad x..." would work too assuming the commander was talking to a specific squad.

If my squad is needed elsewhere then a commander can simply give me an in game order to go there. While I'm at it here, minimizing command chat is also a good thing because an active VOIP squad can have a good amount of their own chatter going on. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Additionally, using the B instead of the V button means you talk only to the highlighted squad(s), which cuts down on the amount of unnecessary chatter SLs receive.

Comment

Originally posted by mingmong View Post
            Additionally, using the B instead of the V button means you talk only to the highlighted squad(s), which cuts down on the amount of unnecessary chatter SLs receive.
            I know, but for some reason whenever I use B no one can hear me.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Agreed. I just wanted to know, I was a little trivialized on your first post, localized reports probably didnt help you that much. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DoorGunner53E View Post
                Agreed. I just wanted to know, I was a little trivialized on your first post, localized reports probably didnt help you that much. :-)
                I don't think you were the commander for my team for that round but I was just using that as an example in any case. Its happened before.

I'm assuming its helpful, but as a SL I always try to use a similar protocol when talking to the commander. Usually something along the lines of "Command, this is Squad X, ...".

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Bernout, I was not the commander. However, I agree and it is helpful to see that these ideas are brought up. Good ideas. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                    Did you change your default VOIP key? Try making a secondary key for ti and use that.

It's really annoying when commanders talk a lot and don't talk to individual squads. Sometimes you can get really tempted to mute them out all together.
                    Before the effect one believes in different causes than one does after the effect.

Comment

you hae to be on the commander screen to talk to individual squads using B key

Comment

isnt that a nice little tip!

Now i wont get yelled at by annoyed sl's
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                          Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                          When I command my "B" key does nothing...and I've tried darn hard to figure out why, because it used to work just fine. So now, when I CO I advise the SLs that I have to voip spam all of them, and then try to be economical with my words.

As to Bernout's point...I try to follow this rough SOP:
                          As CO
                          "Squad x, this is Goat. Expect contacts your east."
                          or, if I know who the SL is
                          "Dirt, this is Goat. Expect contacts east."

As SL
                          "Command, this is Goat in Squad 1...", then usually wait for Command to give me the channel.

Either way...follow the same comms pattern...eliminate the confusion.

{receiver} {transmitter, i.e. you} {message}

e.g.

A: "United 123, Chicago Tower, cleared for landing on runway 27 left."
                          B: "Chicago Tower, United 123, roger that runway 27 left."

A: "Command, this is Bernout in squad 1, over"
                          B: "Bernout, this is Goat, go."
                          A: "Goat, Bernout, can you send backup our location?"
                          B: "Bernout, Goat, hold 1 please"
                          B: "Squad 2, this command, please expedite to squad 1."
                          C: "Hey Goat, this is Dirt in squad 2, we're on our way."
                          B: "Bernout, Goat, squad 2 is enroute now."
                          A: "Command, Squad 1. I ask for help and you throw dirt at me?" ;)

You get the idea. It may seem tedious...but if you avoid taking shortcuts until you've got good comms going between the SL & CO it will help a lot.

Cheers,

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                          if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post

I dont co often but I dont like how the caps screen/map cuts out walking or driving forward. I only flick back to it shortly because of that.

It helps if you have a distinctive voice, you cant expect people to look down to see whose talking all the time.
                            That or be more authoritive

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

yea i agree with you sabre, i HATE The commander screen, i like the SL capslock screen ALOT more

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X