Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little PR help , with Vista that is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little PR help , with Vista that is...

Hi all, this is a question for PR folks only, so I posted here instead of in tech questions......I have .7 loaded on my XP machine, and it runs great. My new laptop is a good one (Asus G2-B1) and has Vista Premium. I have 2 Gig of Ram and think that the 4 gig upgrade was what I should have done.

System info:
    Vista Premium
    Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.4 GHz
    2 gig Ram
    Geforce 8600M GT

When I loaded PR .6, I could not get it to run on this laptop. It would flash the black screen and then back to desktop. Never saw the Black Sands Studio Intro. This was off a fresh install of BF2 and everything, patches, PB, etc. I uninstalled with CCleaner and just played on my other XP machine.

Would any of you PR tech folk be so kind as to give me a suggestion on getting .7 to run on this laptop? Is is Vista? My card? or me?
    sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Re: A little PR help , with Vista that is...

Flash black and back is usually a dx error I think. It thinks you dont have a video card or something like that, unable to render 3d graphics

I dont have vista but Ive heard you can right click and make sure its run as dx9 and as 32bit, etc

Use the latest nvidia driver or goto http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Also have a look at

start > run > dxdiag > display > test direct3D

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Thanks Sabre, I should add that I play company of heroes and COD4 with no issues, full settings....just not PR.

Comment

ah I see, I was presuming you only play PR of course :row__523:

Clear the cache, my docs > mods > DELETE

Those other games are more modern so try the right click thing i guess

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Does it sound like this problem?

From http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html :

Launching/Loading Issues: The most common problem with BF2 is that the game crashes to desktop or goes to a black screen when you first launch it. The reason for this is either incompatible hardware (make sure you meet all the minimum specs), or more usually the fact that you're not running at the default Windows XP refresh rate (60Hz). By default the game tries to launch at [email protected] initially, so your system must be able to run that same resolution and refresh rate, otherwise the game will abort. If you are using any refresh rate override program/method, disable it (e.g. if you're using Refresh Force, click the 'Restore Original Settings' button and apply). Alternatively, see the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide for details on how to set a different startup resolution, in case your graphics card/monitor simply cannot do [email protected] resolution. Once you've got the game running, you can then change the resolution to suit your taste in the in-game settings, and importantly you can select a higher refresh rate. Then you can reapply any refresh rate override and the game will launch without any problems. To set a non-standard resolution see the Advanced Tweaking section.
          I believe there is also some vista specific tips in that guide too.

HTH.

Comment

Thanks Jam, I have seen that but it applies to XP, and I think my issue on the new system is Vista related...see above specs.

Comment

Stevieray, I run Vista with a Geforce 8800GTS and do not have any persistent problems at the moment.

However, I do remember that when I first installed .613 I had the black screen and CTD error that you're describing. I think it was a corrupted download of PR that was causing it. Maybe try downloading it again...

EDIT: Also, try the thing that sabre mentioned about deleting the Battlefield 2 folder (in Vista -> Drive C: > Users > "Computer Name" > Documents > Battlefield 2) before you reinstall BF2. ie Uninstall BF2 and PR, manually delete that aforementioned folder, then reinstall everything. I've heard that after reinstalling, keeping that folder can sometimes cause failure to load. The bad thing is that you'll need to reset all your video options etc.

Comment

Ok, thanks to everyone, up and running BUT now when I try to get on the server I get the message that I am running an older version....which there is no way I am. Help? Please before I crawl into the fetal position?

Comment

looks like im having the same thing ? i just installed BF2 with new patch try the game and it runs , but i just loaded in poe.7 it installed but when i click on shortcut , the BF 2 logo comes on and the screen goes black and then its back to desktop ? ...... im so not liking vista ! nothing but problems for me any idea how to fix this ?

Comment

You did patch with 1.41 right? Set compatibly to xp and run as admin for Vista. I fixed a ctd once by tossing the bf2 folder in my docs to trash, as it resets everything to default next time you start pr with a new folder.(this is a pain in the backside redoing your setup so save as last resort.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X