Fear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear

Kind of a silly topic perhaps. The issue is that although I've been playing on the TG server for months now, I'm afraid of ever picking up a tank or apc, or plane, and the few adventures I took part in on attack helicopters always ended prematurely not because we crash or anything, but because I don't have the necessary battlefield experience ingame to be able to operate it effectively. I feel that my fear of letting down the team may be taking away from my experience in the game, and I'm sure that other people may have felt the same. The question is what can be done about this. Perhaps, joining a clan might help? Or playing with some people specifically? This kind of feels like a plea for help :|

Re: Fear

Flying - boot up a local server and fly around
    Tanks/Apcs/SL/Commander - just do it, only way to learn and anyone that gets mad at a learner is a jerk and needs to be medicated ;) Also just join up with tank squads, they usually fill up with people that know a thing or two. ( I added SL and Commander because it applies in the same way )

Comment

go to realitymod.com/forums

search for "Kashan 64 Insurgency Practice Map"

Unfortunatly, this is not for .7. I have no confirmation if it works. But it lets you use any vehicle or weapon, etc, without penalty.
      Skud

Comment

For flying, your best bet is to load up maps in singleplayer and practice, practice practice. For tanks/APCs, jump on the server and join an armor squad. Theres lots of us who would be more than willing to teach you the tools of the trade. Just make sure you voice the fact that you're noobish at it and you'll get some good training.

Comment

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/kash...n+training+map

1.) It has been recently updated for .7

2.) It works, for me.

Comment

Gumball's link did not work for me but I found it here:
            http://www.realitymod.com/forum/kash...ng-t24557.html
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              For flying, your best bet is to load up maps in singleplayer and practice, practice practice. For tanks/APCs, jump on the server and join an armor squad. Theres lots of us who would be more than willing to teach you the tools of the trade. Just make sure you voice the fact that you're noobish at it and you'll get some good training.
              its not easy, Its hard to me, becuase english its not my basic language... anyways i undertand the basic, like go here, repair me, retreat etc etc

Comment

I guess thats one way to do it with tanks and apcs, but when it comes to flying I dont think you all got my point. You can't just load up a map in a local server and practice flying, and using the attack helicopters. It has to be done on a real game because, you dont have human enemies nor do you have a mate with whom you have to learn to communicate well enough to operate the weapons.

Comment

If you ever want to learn how to tank just look for a 3-man tank squad and ask for an invite, even if there's already three of us in it. I usually run one of those, and I'd be glad to show you the ropes.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by FeistySheep. View Post
                    Kind of a silly topic perhaps. The issue is that although I've been playing on the TG server for months now, I'm afraid of ever picking up a tank or apc, or plane, and the few adventures I took part in on attack helicopters always ended prematurely not because we crash or anything, but because I don't have the necessary battlefield experience ingame to be able to operate it effectively.
                    Not a silly topic at all. To be perfectly honest, I still feel the this way about helicopters. I know they are important assets, but I've just never gotten on an empty server with someone and practiced. Result: I don't fly in PR. Doesn't really bother me. If you want to learn, go download teamspeak. There's a tutorial under the FAQ on the top of this page, it's really simple to set up. Every night of the week there are a bunch of people on the PR channel who I'm sure would love to jump on a server with you and teach you how it works.

I also used to feel timid about commanding, and now I occasionally step up. Just let your SLs know you're a first timer and you are likely to find a veteran who will help guide you a little. A noob commander is better than no commander at all. You'll never learn if you don't try. Who knows, you might be the next AFsoccer!

When I first installed PR I had NO IDEA what I was doing, because it was all new to me. So I found an infantry squad with what seemed like a decent SL, told them I was a noob and volunteered to be the medic. Then I stuck to my SL like glue. I followed orders and soaked it all in. Made it easy to learn. Tanking is no different. In both cases: communicate, follow orders, listen, and learn. I'd suggest you find an armor squad and volunteer to be their wrench. Your job is to keep the squad up and to keep sneaky engineers off the tanks with the .50 cal. The next best thing is to drive the #2 tank in the squad. You will be taking commands from your gunner, and you'll both be taking commands from your SL. Not too many critical decisions to be made on your part. Again, the key is letting everybody know that you are new to tanking but not to PR.

Once you learn tanks, APCs are easy. The tactics are different, but the controls are almost identical. Before you know it you'll be leading armor attacks and safely transporting and supporting infantry squads all over the battlefield. And keep this in mind: noobs jump solo into tanks, APCs, choppers, and jets on the TG server all day, every day. Every single map that plays, it happens at least once. Because you are asking and you want to learn the right way to do it, you are already lightyears ahead of them. I love getting guys like you in my squads: guys who are willing to listen and want to learn. You're welcome anytime. Good luck!

~Pilot
                    Last edited by A_Grounded_Pilot; 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM.

|
                    |

Comment

Originally posted by FeistySheep. View Post
                      I guess thats one way to do it with tanks and apcs, but when it comes to flying I dont think you all got my point. You can't just load up a map in a local server and practice flying, and using the attack helicopters. It has to be done on a real game because, you dont have human enemies nor do you have a mate with whom you have to learn to communicate well enough to operate the weapons.
                      True enough but the first thing is just to get comfortable with the controls. You need to be able to fly reliably before you worry about engaging targets or evading enemy fire. I fly the attack helos quite a bit and can gun fairly well, but if someone gets a lock on me I still panic and do a hard banking turn into the ground! :row__635:

But really, it comes down to just doing it. Practice on a local server (hell, practice on some public low-pop server if you want) and join up here. Get into an asset squad, tell them you're still a bit shaky, you'll be fine.
                      And it's not at all mandatory that you do or even can drive or pilot - there are many good infantry-only players who never do get a crewman or pilot kit.
                      |TG-6th|Belhade
                      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Hey Feisty. You might want to check out this thread. Proof you're not alone :)

Haikus are easy.
                        But sometimes they don't make sense.
                        Refrigerator.

Comment

Help may be on the way!

.7 has introduced a whole new level of coordination and complexity, and a majority of it is centered around using air assets. I think *all* of us feel a little lost when it comes to flying, especially with the new air support system for ground troops.

TGU (Tactical Gamer University) will be working on putting together training on this topic, and all are welcome to sign up for the courses!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Shortly before (I think) the picture in the thread linked to by Caffeine was taken, I was in Red's 'air' squad. I jumped in a Eurofighter, taxied onto the runway, got ready for takeoff, and then lost my nerve. I taxied back to the hangar, reversed it into the hangar, jumped out and left the server. Earlier in the day, I had seen lots of people 'flaming' (for want of a better word) because some people kept getting in planes and full throttle-ing them onto the taxiway, then crashing. I really didn't want that to be me, even though I knew I could taxi well.
                            So, in short, I understand your point FeistySheep, and will go and plug my jostick into my PC in a few mins to practice flying some more!
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Hey man! Did we give up when the germans attacked pearl harbor? NO!! Get your rusty as**s in there and practice. Helo flying should be fun but approached with caution as well as strapping your self into the lawn darts and taking a chance with that. I love when I get those people yelling at me to do this and that, go here, go there and have no idea they are asking. Go to CP "Charlie" and pick these guys up!! no...Now!! I will ignore these orders until I have successfully undertaken the task of looking to see what, if any, resistance to my approach will be and then noone jumps on when I get there. It is my opinion that these folks have no idea, rhyme or reason about keeping the asset in play, they just wait for another to spawn and chalk it up to a loss. So, go somewhere and get some experience and return and dont be scared, because that is the root of failure.

** And I was quoting Animal House, I know the germans attacked Manila***

:-)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X