Mini-Map (M-key) transparency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Map (M-key) transparency

You newer guys might try adjusting the transparency of your HUD in the settings screen to 5%, so that you can hit "M" to pull up your map and still see the surrounding terrain through it. Sure helps a ton while flying, and helps me keep track of my squad while moving on foot.
    -Just remember that you can't left click to spot or anything while the map is up, or you will fire your gun by mistake, which might make your SL angry.
    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Re: Mini-Map (M-key) transparency

thats happend to me before. I was in Dirtboys squad in OGT and we were at the GB main and i think it was broomish was at the flag and i was checking the map and i clicked and shot broomish in the face!
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
      thats happend to me before. I was in Dirtboys squad in OGT and we were at the GB main and i think it was broomish was at the flag and i was checking the map and i clicked and shot broomish in the face!
      lol
      after you did it, did you say "hey broomish, sorry 'bout ya face!" in your best Mr. T voice???
      |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

lol no but that would have been great!
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Honestly, I don't like the idea of using the map in this manner. It seems to be a loophole in the idea of taking out the minimap. If someone else wants to do it, that's fine, but I feel it's almost a cheat in a way and I won't use it in this manner. I do miss the minimap and the spotting but I found that if I pay attention to the lay of the land and glance at the map every so often, I keep a good situational awareness and can move a lot more like in real life. In a lot of ways I think my time playing Airsoft has gotten me used to the idea of not having all the electronic gadgetry to tell me where I am and where the bad guys are. We are still a long way from realism but it is getting better and I don't think the transparent map will really be that necessary as more people get used to playing 0.7. I would expect that the DEVs will take action on the use of the map in this way soon so I don't know if I would get used to using it.

Comment

I was also very disappointed when somebody suggested this to myself & the squad. The developers are trying to make this as much as a fair, realistic, and team based game as possible. We should be embracing their guidelines & rules, not looking for ways to exploit them.

Units are (or at least should) be less spread out in 0.6, with less solo'ing smacktards than normal. With this you should be able to keep situational awareness by just viewing your map once and a while.

My three cents.

Comment

Sorry, but IMO this is one situation where the whole realism argument has been taken one step too far. Unless the admins make it a hard rule I'm going to keep on using it.

Its one thing not to be able to easily spot enemies for your squad and team, but its another not to be able to even tell where your squad members are. Especially as a SL! As I mentioned in the other topic, if the devs do take this ability away then I won't care at that point because I'm out of here. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Ive always used this since playing bf2, I can remember using it on wake island for example as it helps stop collisions when crossing the island runway and is very usefull when people spot an enemy jet on your tail, etc

I only used it on foot every now and again in a game because it does get in the way but I did not adjust anything to keep on playing this way in .7 In the past Ive posted screenshots of it here and on rm forums I think, so they allready knew people used the map like this.

I dont like the removal of minimap or spotting and its not the same as reducing ammo or whatever because that sucks but it also adds to the game in its feel and gameplay whereas no minimap means I can not tell if my own squaddie was standing alongside me or not. (think of how NVG FOV is, its a bit like that)

The bf2 field of vision does not match the human peripheral vision which is essential to basic awareness, ie. its unrealistic! :icon_lol:

The spotting thing is similar and its just about convenience and time scale. I dont object so much about that but I dont see what it 'adds' to the game either.

They did excellent on ammo, accuracy and mobile respawns. Thats all good because its changing how the game is played with new tactics to replace the oversimplified arcade gameplay

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

i dont see anything wrong with this. but in general, i only use the map to know where teamates are before i shoot. that's about it.
                  Skud

Comment

IMO using the map like this way is fine, but a bit unnecesary, ESPECIALLY if your just a squad member. if your lost, then yea this can be useful. but if your with your squad and they are not asshats then no need to see the entire map as that is the squad leaders job

Comment

I use it in 100% transparency.. It greatly reduces TK's and I dont feel as if I am "CHEATING" at all. If the devs want it gone.. they will simply remove the transparency abillity, or they will remove the "M" minimap and leave only the "CAPSLOCK" map. I expect my foes to use whatever means at their disposal, and I will do the same.

Last edited by llPANCHOll; 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I think using the map IS realistic.
                        The 2 second delay it takes to bring up the "M" screen simulates pulling out a map or a PDA that has real time feeds with battlefield information. And you can't spot and do other features while the map is up.

Last I checked, the marines were beginning to use technology much like the gear seen in Ghost Recon AWF. I know PDA's tied to real-time UAV feeds have been in use for quite some time now. Perhaps the devs could simulate you looking down at a map/gps system perhaps.

In any case, for those of you chosing not to use the map, especially when flying, maybe that's why your scores suck?
                        |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I saw it used in fuzzhead's 5 part squad training video and learned it there. I only set the transparncy to 7 and used it that way in.7 just so i can still have a heads up to find cover because i ALWAYS get sniped when reading the map. Always.,,then I just put it away when i'm done.If SL might keep it out a little longer but i like it now that i can focus on my immediate surrounding and not have my screen look like a cockpit, I think my KTD improved in this mod cause i'm not staring at that Garmin and actually seeing what in front of me.

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that using the "M" map is unrealistic, just the opposite. But I do think the idea of running the transparency up so that you can leave the map up all the time and see though it is a little cheesy. I don't consider it a cheat, but I do think it's a loophole that does take away from the realism. I don't think it gives much of an advantage since it's rather distracting. I don't buy the new tech excuse either since we are testing those type systems but they are still a good ways out before it becomes standard equipment. I don't play the GRAW series because of this type of thing and the fact that it has strayed way wide of the mark set by the original GR. Tom Clancy should have never sold out his name to be put on games without his approval. Anyway, I only feel this way about using the map as an infantry soldier. In an aircraft it would be more necessary because of the large amount of ground being covered and it's somewhat similar to the kneeboard map if nothing else. Oh, and as far as scores, I don't think mine suck since the only score I care about is the 1-10 score I give each round according to how much fun I'm having.
                            Last edited by Elwenil; 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

If its in the mod then it should be OK to use it. Saying that there are alot of bugs so maybe it it will be changed if the devs don't like it soon. I tried it, but the grid distracts me and I get killed faster than normal lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X