A Quick Hint: Compass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Hint: Compass

Whne I play as SL in PR, I always use my compass to designate targets, and I always find ppl who are incapable of following the compass. I want to make this ABSOLUTELY clear for those who dont use the compass: it is by far the single most effective WEAPON a squad can get. Since we havent got GUI's and Heads-Up displays like other games, we NEED to orientate AROUND the compass.

What I find is that a bunch of people do not know west, or 255 Degrees. I think those who dont, not only ruin the whole teamplay based enviroment, but also the realism. If you arent familiar with "squad formations" or "calling out enemy on compass", then get USED to IT.

The compass is there for a reason:
    First of all, top orientate around the map.
    Secondly, to mark out targets and waypoints: When in SQUAD FORMATION, you will litelarly be formed intoa formation that hasa designated direction, from that direction the whole squad can mark out enemy on the compass for ACCURATE fire.

Saying things like: enemy on the road, to the left, is not only vague (who's left? mine or yours? what road? wth are you on about thats a friendly!) but also pretty useless.

Squad leader, or whoever MUST call out targets on the COMPASS: i.e:

"Enemy Footsoldier approaching from 255 Degrees, 200m range" (use SOFLAM to mark range), thne the statement can bebacked up by PHYSICAL LANDMARKS, i.e "Watch the horizon of that HILL at DUE NORTH".

The Squad MATES MUST follow the instructions of SL, and not turn to face other direction, if you dont cover the flank, the squad formation will be OVER-RUN and outflanked, it will be YOUR FAULT. Ive sene this many times where one person says: enemy at East, and the WHOLE squad turns to find enemy, that is pretty "sillygoose" because you just exposed 300 Degrees to the enemy and your squad is not vulrenable to fire from both sides and the rear. ALWAYS cover YOUR designated coverage area, and do not look in other direction, unless your squad leader tells you to, or unless the SL is down and you should be RETREATING at that stage.

Now, in TG, I dont see neither Tactical Formations, neither accurate systems of calling out targets. I would like SL's and players to CONCIDER this and IMPLEMENT it, so far ive only seen 3 People in total using this system.

Re: A Quick Hint: Compass

The bearing of the compass is not completely accurate. If i am stood 50 metres away from you and you say "Hostiles, NE 35" then it would be a different bearing for me.
    Smurfs law - Though Shalt back track wherever possible

Comment

Originally posted by broomish View Post
      The bearing of the compass is not completely accurate. If i am stood 50 metres away from you and you say "Hostiles, NE 35" then it would be a different bearing for me.
      Like I saidm you use bearing in SQUAD formations, but also if you are standing 50 metres away and have BASIC knowledge of PYTHAGORAS THEOREM, you can compensate an ACUTE or OBTUSE angle.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelVonLugen View Post
        Like I saidm you use bearing in SQUAD formations, but also if you are standing 50 metres away and have BASIC knowledge of PYTHAGORAS THEOREM, you can compensate an ACUTE or OBTUSE angle.
        This has already been debated here... http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ng-system.html

Comment

Although I agree with your point Colonel, your tone (by using the caps for emphasis) comes off harshly. Could you tone it down?

Really people overuse the degrees when a general "Northeast" or "North" will do wonders for the rest of the squad that is nearby.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Could you please stop being so condescending all the time, man? I hear enough of it from you in-game (and I don't even squad with you). I don't need to read this from you on the forums -_-.

Lord of the Mangoes
            In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
            In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Comment

hmmm, isn't Pythagora's theorum only for right-angle triangles? sounds like a lot of math....
              let's try it anyways: a^2 + b^2 = c^2
              I'm 50m away, and SL spots target 200m away @ 255* angle
              55^2 + 200^2 = 207^2, so target is 207m from me (assuming a 90* angle)
              but angle is really 255*, so im 165* off target...

nvm my head hurts...let's leave Pythagoras out of this one.
              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by JCTango View Post
                Could you please stop being so condescending all the time, man? I hear enough of it from you in-game (and I don't even squad with you). I don't need to read this from you on the forums -_-.
                Whoa guys...lets take a step back and keep it TG like...there's no need to call someone out in the forums, or in game over something like this. I don't know the Colonel from a hole in the wall but I do know we'll need to work together to come up with an sop we all can use effectively...

JC...a simple negative rep with a helpful comment would go a lot further than a public call out...And Colonel...JC's right...use of caps implies condescension...which you probably didn't mean to imply...

I put some time into PR back in the .4-.5 days. I'll be back soon with my mates from the 1st...I look forward to squadding up with both of you.

From the sounds of it, it looks like my time on the TG Arma hardcore server will pay off well in the new mod. No tags, no gps, no mini map...nothing but a compass, a topo map and your own judgment to fix your bearing and keep track of your men...man that was hard to get used to but very rewarding when done right...from my perspective it sounds like PR is loading up on the R...can't wait to see it.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by JCTango View Post
                  I was about to post the same thing, saw this guy on the server for the first time just after .7 came out and he was already acting like he ran the place. Example, he asks for a ride at the main base while I'm manning an APC and asks to go to mine on qwai river. Fair enough, i was heading there anyways. Halfway there you start telling me to go "your way" which mind you was right into an AT trap as my crew had just died there 2 minutes before. So i take the apc into the river and move north from there making the trip maybe 30 seconds longer and the entire time your yelling at me and calling me a newb because i didn't take the road into a certain death, yeah silly me i apologize for using tactics and preserving an Asset.

You honestly need to be more polite and treat other players with respect, especially if they are following all the rules and not being a smacktard. With you being new here I would say it's especially important as you don't want regulars getting the wrong idea about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                    JC...a simple negative rep with a helpful comment would go a lot further than a public call out...And Colonel...JC's right...use of caps implies condescension...which you probably didn't mean to imply...
                    Colonel, while I personally thank you for trying to instill an essence of teamwork within the TG community, a more approachable means of communication would be appreciated. People generally heed advice when it's not given in an abrasive manner.

=).

Smile! Don't worry, be happy.

Lord of the Mangoes
                    In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
                    In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Comment

is this guy still around?
                      sigpic

Comment

i think now is an apropriate time to close this thread before it gets into a flame thread.
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I prefer NW or NE, etc to compass bearing numbers. Numbers implies accuracy beyond what we really have on the fly, they only have to look in the general direction and then figure the distance to target

If you use north, I dont even have to look down really, I allready know which side of the map is north (actually we often seem to play dead on north to south or west to east, real life is probably a bit more complex still. )

A second reference is needed unless your speaking to someone in the same vehicle, ie. north of {flag}

The tank teamwork thing requires more patience then I have personally, its not easy to coordinate

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I'm not going to lock the thread, because it has potential, but please guys keep the conversations on track and on topic

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

yea you can guesstimate the bearing..

what I always do is give the bearing off of the squad leader..... as everyone knows where he is at on hte map and you should be reporting to him anyways, so all he needs to know is the enemy bearing and distance, he places an attack command, then everyone else can just use that.

simple as pie for squad members and squad leaders

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X