No announcement yet.

How to Cure... Looping Sound with System Freeze problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Cure... Looping Sound with System Freeze problem

Hi all,

I used to have a couple of problems. The most annoying one was my PR and my PC System would be frozen(locked up) with a constantly looping sound. Sometimes it was a PR weapon sound that would be looping, sometimes it would be sound bite from voip. Usually a weapon sound though. I would encounter this problem two or three times a day. The only choice I would have was to shut off the power to the system. Ctrl-Alt delete to bring up the Task Manager didn't work, Ctrl+Esc to bring up the Start Program menu didn't work, nor did pressing the Power Down button on the front of the PC. I would have to cut the power completely off with the switch in the back(PSU power button).

Here's what I believe is a 100% cure/fix for this problem as it's been several days now since I made the change. I wanted to be sure it really fixed the problem before posting the cure.

Turn your 'Sound Quality' setting from High(or Ultra High) to Medium.

If you have Hardware and EAX options checked you can leave them checked. :)

I have an Audigy 2 Platinum Soundcard and had my Sound Quality setting on High. After setting it to Medium, I don't really notice too much difference in the sound quality. I have heard there is a noticeable difference if you have an X-Fi Soundcard and set it to Ultra High. So X-Fi owners that are having this problem might cringe at the thought of turning it down to Medium. All I can say is, if you want/value system stability, this is the fix. Naturally, the choice is yours.

This problem indicates some sort of a slight problem with the format(for lack of a better word/knowledge) with one of the sounds in PR. I say slight because it seems not all systems are having this problem. Perhaps the number of systems it affects might just be a minority, but I do know it does affect a number of users/systems. There is a thirteen page thread about this problem on the PR forum. This problem is also present in another mod. Apparently it's a problem with the AT-ST Walker sound in the First Strike mod(a star wars mod).

Now, even vBF2 isn't completely perfect in regards to this sound problem on my system. On somewhat rare occasion I would get the looping weapon sound in vBF2 also, until the person with the weapon either fired it or changed weapons. But vBF2 never locked up/froze my system.

The other problem I was having was that vBF2 or PR would CTD(poof, game disappears and you're back at your desktop) and leave a dump file(.dmp file) in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Dmp. This would also happen about two or three times a day. This problem seems to be cured now too. If you have a bunch of dump files in that folder you can delete them to free up HD space, and probably speed up defragging your HD a little.

Just as an fyi, even though my systems is pretty old now by PC aging standards it consists of all high quality parts. Nothing cheap in it at all. For grins and giggles I will list my specs at the bottom.

Lastly, if you've been having this problem and this fixes it, I wouldn't mind hearing about it from you here! :)

System Specs:

Intel P4 3.4C Northwood Core with Hyperthreading on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU, 2 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, Samsung 214T MultiSync 21" Digital LCD Monitor(1600 x 1200 native res), HIS(ATI) X1950 Pro 512 MB AGP Videocard with IceQ3 Cooler and Catalyst v7.11 Driver, DirectX 9.0c v9.21.1148(November 2007 update), Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with Driver v02.09.0016, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, Western Digital 250 GB w/8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Parallel ATA HDD, WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit, Norton Internet Security 2008(Firewall and Anti-Virus), Comcast Cable Internet Connection
    Last edited by OneTinSoldier; 01-04-2008, 08:36 PM.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed