Tank squad and 0.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank squad and 0.7

Overall I like the new version of PR. My problem arises when I have a tank squad. A proper tank squad has 3 people per tank a driver, gunner and engineer. If I have 2 tanks that means I either:

A) do not drop rallies and have two engineers (hoping they do not die or that someone gets dropped and you lose a crew kit)
    B) have an officer and an engineer (hoping that the engineer does not get over worked with his weakened wrench)

Personally I think B works best. I'm not going to tell you reasons why. I want to know what you think, or do you have a better idea.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Re: Tank squad and 0.7

I was in a solid tank squad the other night on Quinlin(sp?)

It consisted of:

2 tanks, both with a driver and a gunner.
    1 Eng who rode shotgun with either of the tanks. (he moved back and forth between the tanks)
    1 man operating the Mobile AAA gun.

The SL was a tank driver for ease of marking targets and concentrating fire from both tanks on a single target which if you don't know makes a huge difference in your squads survivability.

Comment

With the lack of anti-tank on demand I think this is balanced well. In infantry maps (where your engies are more likely to be shot) there should be supporting infantry squads that can assist in repairs if required. In larger tank maps engineers usually won't get killed too often. You always have firebases, bunkers, or even commander posts to fall upon if you have lost your engineers

I know having an infinite flow of engineers to repair your tank is great for staying alive. But I don't recall the last time I have heard of field engineers repairing tanks when being engaged by another tank, or a squad of infantry with a LAT or HAT

With this I think its much better as you have to retreat for repairs, or at least get to a safe place.

Comment

The other solution is to simply get on TS and drop into the appropriate team coordination channel for your team. This is far and away the best tool for inter-squad communication. Last night on qinling, I had guys from other squads rearming my HAT and repairing my AAA just because I asked over teamspeak. Later on during Kynongan'Ni, We coordinated an entire team's offensive and defensive strategy over TS in real time.

Comment

Personally, I like to do

2 Tanks,

3 per tank your Option A.

I did this a few nights ago on Kashan with a ROCK SOLID set of tankers, I was gunning and together our two tanks went un-killed the entire round. I was amazed to say the least. 39-0. killed 5 Abrams, a couple APC's an AA and a bunch of infantry

Comment

The way I have figgured is to have your armor squad and to have a smaller 3 manned Crew Cheif / Wrench Squad. your Engi's will sit back in a truck a few hundred meters away and wait for Armor to request Support. This gives the Infi squad a chance to constantly rally up and stay with the fight.

Just my $00.02
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I think the squad with 2 tanks and an engineer each, work the best. VOIP can be a bit confusing but nowhere near as bad as a 3 tank squad. The enginees should have some transport that they leave in a safe place nearby the tanks so incase one engineer gets killed the other can go back to base and pick him up.

A single tank squad can work quite well, you don't have to filter out what's said in VOIP as it all about your tank however when you come up against a squad of multiple tanks your usually doomed.

I've tried 3 tank squads but it's very hard to communicate with everyone shouting out targets, direction, damage taken. I realised afterwards I should have been muting some of the other guys to make my life easier. Would this work ok?

SL driving tank 1 mutes the gunners in tank 2 and 3.
              The gunners mute everyone apart from their driver and the SL.
              Tank drivers mute everyone apart from their gunner and the SL.

Another big disadvantage with the 3 tank squad is you usually can't get a diacated engineer squad to back you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                B) have an officer and an engineer (hoping that the engineer does not get over worked with his weakened wrench)

Personally I think B works best. I'm not going to tell you reasons why. I want to know what you think, or do you have a better idea.
                Well the reason I like this is because:
                1. the SL can spot, provide a rally point and watch out for enemy engineers.
                2. tanks are not all ways available back at your main. You have the option of switching to a temporary Inf squad close to the action.
                3. if the SL is able to grab a Com truck you can build firebases when needed. This helps the whole team along with resupplying your tanks.
                4. if your staying in one spot defending and you have a rally close by the SL can spawn engineer and grab officer later.

I do like the idea of having anti air close by and would seriously look at that idea. I also would change this up if I was involved in a large battle plan, like TG vs OPREAL. I find I just can not always expect my other team mates to give me a hand, when I play normal everyday PR. This way my squad is independent of others except CO.

OK feel free to comment on this and don't hold anything back.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

my personal approach: do not drop rallies, as you spawn on the SL and the SL shouldn't die. ever. he drives a tank and puts markers for ease of spotting targets for the gunner and tank B. you're a tank commander and you should be a god and never die :).

Comment

Originally posted by iios View Post
                    my personal approach: do not drop rallies, as you spawn on the SL and the SL shouldn't die. ever. he drives a tank and puts markers for ease of spotting targets for the gunner and tank B. you're a tank commander and you should be a god and never die :).
                    Tank squad and 0.7

No SL spawn.

Comment

I have only been in a tank twice since the release, and I have to say, that the challenger tank was not what i was expecting it to be....I have sat in the gunners seat, and its weird, the bulls-eye target, i am a fan of the abrams much more, in both here and in real life, the brits don't know what they are missing.

The thing that strikes me is that, with the release of 0.7 and the addition to the 30 second delay of switching from driver to gunner, PEOPLE ARE STILL USING 1-MAN TANKS!!!!!!!!

I really think there should be a rule put into place that prohibits the use of one man tanks and APCs...if they do it once kick em, if they do it again ban em......

IIOs I like your idea, but I also like the idea of having a three man tank crew, spawning as SL dropping a rally, opening up the squad and then having those who join spawn as engineers and bring up support trrucks to build firebases and drop supplies.

but yes a SL with an officer kit is very worth while, because it gives a extended HUD display for not only the armor in your control, but in the other squads as well, and gives an extended hand for the commander to reach out and bomb or shell an enemy tank with a jet/tank/chopper, or good ol' fashioned JDAM.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                        I have only been in a tank twice since the release, and I have to say, that the challenger tank was not what i was expecting it to be....I have sat in the gunners seat, and its weird, the bulls-eye target, i am a fan of the abrams much more, in both here and in real life, the brits don't know what they are missing.

The thing that strikes me is that, with the release of 0.7 and the addition to the 30 second delay of switching from driver to gunner, PEOPLE ARE STILL USING 1-MAN TANKS!!!!!!!!

I really think there should be a rule put into place that prohibits the use of one man tanks and APCs...if they do it once kick em, if they do it again ban em......

IIOs I like your idea, but I also like the idea of having a three man tank crew, spawning as SL dropping a rally, opening up the squad and then having those who join spawn as engineers and bring up support trrucks to build firebases and drop supplies.

but yes a SL with an officer kit is very worth while, because it gives a extended HUD display for not only the armor in your control, but in the other squads as well, and gives an extended hand for the commander to reach out and bomb or shell an enemy tank with a jet/tank/chopper, or good ol' fashioned JDAM.
                        What do you do on a FOGB map like Kashan when 2 Crewmen from Armor Squad bailed before the tank blew and muggins here who was a Combat Engineer manning the turret MG died? Am I not allowed to spawn at main and bring up one of the unused tanks to the Crewmen?

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                          The way I have figgured is to have your armor squad and to have a smaller 3 manned Crew Cheif / Wrench Squad. your Engi's will sit back in a truck a few hundred meters away and wait for Armor to request Support. This gives the Infi squad a chance to constantly rally up and stay with the fight.

Just my $00.02
                          You could go one step further and have an Armor Support squad with 2 CEs, an Officer and a Medic in the truck and have a Crewman and another CE sat in the Mobile AAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminal Boy View Post
                            What do you do on a FOGB map like Kashan when 2 Crewmen from Armor Squad bailed before the tank blew and muggins here who was a Combat Engineer manning the turret MG died? Am I not allowed to spawn at main and bring up one of the unused tanks to the Crewmen?
                            that is acceptable in my mind...i am talking about those persons who take 1-man tanks and apcs and use it as a 1 man tank or apc....
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by UberJ View Post
                              Tank squad and 0.7

No SL spawn.
                              well that chaps the ass of my plan.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server