Lots of non-regs on password night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of non-regs on password night

I am not trying to start a flame thread or anything, but last night, as well as on thursday's PW night, I have noticed a lot of non-regs, and it has shown in some of the gameplay/maps. My only concern is that are people signing up and then telling everyone they know on xfire what the password is etc.

It was just a bit odd, that is all.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Lots of non-regs on password night

I noticed this too, and it's great to have new people playing PR. Just make sure you're reading the manual and the TG rules (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ncements-sops/). One of which is that you cannot give out the password. Also, if you want to try your hand at commanding, I highly recommend starting out on the more simple maps (i.e. ones that don't have air assets and the need for lots of inter-squad coordination). Once you're used to assigning orders and generally keeping up with the game, then you can jump into the much more complex maps.

Comment

Agreed. PW night got off to a decent start with Qinling, then I had to go and when I got back for Kashan it was horrible. Our squad and Fuzzhead's squad seemed to be the only ones in the field consistently. No rally points set up. We got airlifted from north bunker to north village just in time to see an armored column approaching from U.S. main, got trashed when they retook the village and THEN capped the north bunker. We went back, tried to get back north bunker, which we did with the help of Fuzz's squad, and then we all quit because we got mauled by the U.S. rifles one too many times.

During this match I heard from several people how terrible the teamwork was between QinLing and Kashan. For the past two password nights, both with the new .7, it has been disappointing at best.

Originally posted by AFsoccer View Post
      I noticed this too, and it's great to have new people playing PR. Just make sure you're reading the manual and the TG rules (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ncements-sops/). One of which is that you cannot give out the password. Also, if you want to try your hand at commanding, I highly recommend starting out on the more simple maps (i.e. ones that don't have air assets and the need for lots of inter-squad coordination). Once you're used to assigning orders and generally keeping up with the game, then you can jump into the much more complex maps.
      Soccer is correct - maps like QinLing are extremely demanding on the commander (I've done it twice, both times I was completely drained by the end of the map). The air coordination and constant coms require some extreme multi-tasking. Not a good map for a first-time commander.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by AFsoccer View Post
        I noticed this too, and it's great to have new people playing PR. Just make sure you're reading the manual and the TG rules. One of which is that you cannot give out the password. Also, if you want to try your hand at commanding, I highly recommend starting out on the more simple maps (i.e. ones that don't have air assets and the need for lots of inter-squad coordination). Once you're used to assigning orders and generally keeping up with the game, then you can jump into the much more complex maps.
        I commanded on Kashan for the first time last night, on the US side and it was hard. I usually only step up for commander on the smaller primarily infantry maps and the Kashan was a real step up.

I had great infantry squads and air squads(when they weren't shot down ;) ) but the armour element was our weakest point. It went tits up at the start of the round when the armour squad decided to head for south village when it was already capped despite being ordered to the hills east of the north bunker! It was only after constantly ordering the SL over VOIP and placing movemarkers that he went where I wanted him but the other two tanks in his squad headed through south village then west before making their way to the west side of the bunkers. For the rest of the round I had problems with the tanks going out without AA and not supporting the infantry trying to cap the flags.

Comment

Yep lots of non regs were on last night. Many of the people who were on messed a lot the squads up. People driving tanks solo, while being in an infantry squad, people creating multiple armor squads, no rally points being laid down, etc... gives the commander a headache.:madsmile: Someone hand me a tylenol pill.

Comment

Remember guys...non regulars need to be treated with the same amount of respect as admins, regulars, Apo...etc etc! Granted, there was probably a FEW causing some headaches, but alot of them wanted to be in a teamwork oriented enviroment...much like you. Just because they were non-Regulars, does not mean they don't like teamwork!

If you recall before .7 came out, I made a post regarding a surge in new players. It stated that we need to give them some patience and LOTS of guidance. This still holds true and we NEED to stay true to our TG core and show them the light! I challange each one of you to do this. Remember, this sort of thing does not go un-noticed...I SEE EVERYTHING;)!

I understand that there needs to be some changes to PW nights and there might be something different next week! I will keep you all posted.

Dirt
            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
              Remember guys...non regulars need to be treated with the same amount of respect as admins, regulars, Apo...etc etc! Granted, there was probably a FEW causing some headaches, but alot of them wanted to be in a teamwork oriented enviroment...much like you. Just because they were non-Regulars, does not mean they don't like teamwork!

If you recall before .7 came out, I made a post regarding a surge in new players. It stated that we need to give them some patience and LOTS of guidance. This still holds true and we NEED to stay true to our TG core and show them the light! I challange each one of you to do this. Remember, this sort of thing does not go un-noticed...I SEE EVERYTHING;)!

I understand that there needs to be some changes to PW nights and there might be something different next week! I will keep you all posted.

Dirt
              You are correct dirt, i should have worded it differently, there were lots of regs who might not be completely familiar with the TG way of playing PR, i know for a while i was a non-reg, and even then it took me a few months to keep up with u guys, still i am sometimes the last guy in the pack running up to the front.

I just meant to say there were non-regs who really didn't appreciate what TG does with the PW nights....it was very frustrating at points......squads capping flags then abadoning the flag to move onto another one etc....it was just an off night imho.....but that is just mine....i don't speak and won't and can't speak for the rest...

I just thought it was odd that the minute the password changed, it was fully almost immdediately while some guys on TS still were having problems loading up....that is all....
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I'll bet if we ran some "Learn TG"-squads for all those non-regs, we'd convert them into TG worshipers in one round!

Comment

I agree with post above, make a squad called 'Learn TG' and teach them the ways, for example placing and attack marker for covering fire, or destroy for rally points, which to my surprise alot of the new peeps dont really know what they mean :D
                  PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                    Agreed. PW night got off to a decent start with Qinling, then I had to go and when I got back for Kashan it was horrible. Our squad and Fuzzhead's squad seemed to be the only ones in the field consistently. No rally points set up. We got airlifted from north bunker to north village just in time to see an armored column approaching from U.S. main, got trashed when they retook the village and THEN capped the north bunker. We went back, tried to get back north bunker, which we did with the help of Fuzz's squad, and then we all quit because we got mauled by the U.S. rifles one too many times.

During this match I heard from several people how terrible the teamwork was between QinLing and Kashan. For the past two password nights, both with the new .7, it has been disappointing at best.

Soccer is correct - maps like QinLing are extremely demanding on the commander (I've done it twice, both times I was completely drained by the end of the map). The air coordination and constant coms require some extreme multi-tasking. Not a good map for a first-time commander.
                    Your squads were not the only ones fighting and trying their Best to get NV back. The squad I was in was an armor squad and they of course stayed their distance to help tank out what they could till US infantry started getting in the way. I was the only infantry in that armor squad but was running around with an enemy HAT most of the map till later on when I was gunning an APC till my driver got disconnected then I had to do both gun and shoot cause all other members were already in a tank or mobile AA. But with out the support of the armor squad the team would of had a hard time, we helped keep enemy at bay the best we could. I also had made a comment to my squad that it looked like some squads were just sitting there, not trying to advance or anything, at one time for 5 whole minutes a full squad just sat at our firebase and did nothing at all. My guess waiting for specific weapons to become available. That is the biggest thing see wrong with most of the maps that have any type of armor or air vehicles(heli's and jets). Everybody squabbles over them, not just them either but the special kits. A lot of people will purposely sit and wait for a certain weapon to become available again.
                    What I had read about the password night it is not the fact the server is passworded for TG SM only, but any person that had joined the TG site and signed up as long as they read the rules(they make the password kind of hard to locate unless you do read TG forums a little and possibly they will also read the rules more or better.). If they are passing the password around then shame on them, not much could be done about it cause you are not going to get people admitting to doing that.
                    Not all new comers to the server are the smacktards, I have seen a lot of regulars that are the ones that are doing completely idiotic and stupid things BTW. I have been in quite a few of those squads myself, something like you just seen a flag get taken but the next flag that can be taken by the enemy just sits there and waits to be captured and when you look at the map not a single soul is around it to defend it. When you make the comment to the SL he just reports back the CO wants us here. That is one of those times I want to completely disobey cause you know you are going to lose the next flag. I have even asked the SL to make sure the CO knows that this flag is defenseless, they claimed they did let them know but the CO said it was clear, 5 seconds later it drops and goes neutral.
                    AND the thing is most of the SL I have had this happen to team with were wearing TG tags. So, I know there is the chain of command and all but common sense does play a big role in this game, that is what I call a smacktard. A person that lacks that common sense to think for themselves when the time calls for it.

Anyway, I would say that it isn't just the new comers that cause the game to have a bad outcome, it is anybody that can not think for themselves when the time calls for it. If a person sees a flag was taken and the next flag is defenseless then they should go back and defend it. The CO's need to start recognizing these situations and take better control by designating a squad to go back and defend. The squads that stand around for 5 minutes doing absolutely nothing in an area that has no reason for anybody to even being there is another thing CO's need to look for and get them into the battle either defending or attacking. It definitely isn't a lot of the newcomers that are the cause of the problems I see. It is SL and CO. Start reporting people who are not listening to orders unless they explain themselves and the reason sounds good. The newcomers fault would be rushing in to get killed, picking kits that have no purpose for the squad they may be, or disobeying SL orders all together(spawning in the wrong place or heading off to be a lonewolfer with the sniper rifle). Most newcomers whe warned by the SL that I have seen will usually start listening after the first warning, if not the SL usually will kick and then let the person back in and tell them to start listening or leave the squad for a person that will follow his orders.

I just get so rowled up when people start blaming their poor game on the newcomers when it isn't them at all.

BTW, NOT SORRY FOR THIS RANT

PS.
                    sorry I read better and noticed we were on different teams but this still holds true to whatever team you would happened to be on.
                    Last edited by msdz; 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

While I agree that we should have patience with new players, there seems to have been an explosion of somewhat rebellious and non-team oriented players popping into the server. I'm not going to name names, mainly because I can't remember them all. But they don't seem to want to listen to the SL, even when the SL is someone of obvious leadership ability like Disposable.

I remember several guys constantly whining about leaving our position and going to attack another point and after the SL and other SMs tell them no, they jump out and leave the squad and join another or make their own. Now, I am not saying that that is not their right to do so, but some of these new individuals have little or no concept of playing for the advancement of the team. Anyone familiar with Disposable's usual squad type knows that it excels in defending positions with extreme prejudice. As a matter of fact, it is sometimes disastrous to order us to move on another point since we frequently lose the point we were defending originally. (Commanders please take note, lol!) I for one, love that role of a squad and don't mind scanning the horizon and listening for incoming enemy vehicles for 20 minutes at a time with no real action. I know that what we are doing is critical in most cases and I'm happy to do it. It's not for everyone, but does leaving the squad to run off and make their own really help or hinder? Certainly I can argue that not listening to the SL or CO is a hindrance and this trend seems to be growing, unfortunately.

So while we should be polite and helpful with the new guys, we should all also be aware that some of these new guys may not be the mold-able clay that we want and may resist our attempts to bring them around to the TG way. As I said, some are pretty arrogant and refuse to listen to helpful suggestions or SL orders. I do think that some "Learn TG" squads would help but I think this sort of needs to be watched before it brings more chaos.
                      Last edited by Elwenil; 01-07-2008, 06:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

some personal experience of mine says sometimes Tard's just need a ban to help them figure it out. When I first came to TG from Vanilla I was acting like a 'nilla tard on the server. People kept telling me to cut it out and shortly after i was issued my Ban, No kick no warning nothing. Well i went back to Vanilla for a few days, it sucked. I went to the other PR servers for a few days, That sucked. so finally i googled Tactical Gamer and Found this website. I read some material Made an acount PM'd an admin and talked it over for a few minutes he pointed out i was wrong i realized and i said Sorry won't happen again. The Ban was lifted and Now i've been playing here ever since. So, Ban's aren't a bad thing. infact if users are trying to get a player to help the team instead of doing his own thing and he doesn't. I think a Ban is the best way to go about it, A LOT of players will come back because frankly BF2 just flat out sucks. so do most of the other PR servers IMO.

Field of Dreams re-written

If You Ban them, They will come.

Like a moth to a light bulb

my .02 Cents

Comment

Rally points, rally points, rally points!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen a healthy mix of new people too. But on the positive side, I love the new guys who do everything you tell them, down to a T. Ive had guys who had only played a couple rounds willing to stand at a corner or on a mounted gun for like 15 mins without a peep of complaint. Sometimes I even feel bad when we're on D and they don't get action, but I try to vary up the scout roles and stuff.

Could be that some squadleader before me had "made it clear" that they had better listen. Who knows, maybe that's necessary. I endured some harsh words here and there my first couple weeks. But look at me! Zero to hero almost over night. :icon12:
                          sigpic

Comment

my opinion on password nights - its a good concept but it needs more structure.

TG is large enough that I think this could be arranged on the 2 password nights.

All password nights beforehand have a commander designated to a team. This commander should stick around for most of the night or should have a suitable backup if he cant be there the whole night.

That way, there is a TG regular who is commanding the team the whole time. If there is a squad who is being worthless, they can get warned and if necesary kicked, for not following the CO orders.

That is my favorite TG rule, the fact that the chain of command actually means something and that disciplinary action is a very real consequence for not obeying orders.

I think password night plays really great when both teams have competent commanders, even if one team is doing better at least there is some structure. I think password night is not worth attending if there is no commander.

I think the benefits of sorting out commanders before a password night are very great, and its not a very big hassle as you usually have a bunch of TG regulars on anyways, its just a matter of getting one to agree to command.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                              my opinion on password nights - its a good concept but it needs more structure.

TG is large enough that I think this could be arranged on the 2 password nights.

All password nights beforehand have a commander designated to a team. This commander should stick around for most of the night or should have a suitable backup if he cant be there the whole night.

That way, there is a TG regular who is commanding the team the whole time. If there is a squad who is being worthless, they can get warned and if necesary kicked, for not following the CO orders.

That is my favorite TG rule, the fact that the chain of command actually means something and that disciplinary action is a very real consequence for not obeying orders.

I think password night plays really great when both teams have competent commanders, even if one team is doing better at least there is some structure. I think password night is not worth attending if there is no commander.

I think the benefits of sorting out commanders before a password night are very great, and its not a very big hassle as you usually have a bunch of TG regulars on anyways, its just a matter of getting one to agree to command.
                              I agree with Fuzz on this completely. The changes in .7 really require a commander for any team to be successful. The loss of the mobile spawn demands that a team must place bunkers/firebases to be able to advance the front and hold acquired territory. If there are air assets involved then you had better have that commander available.

We could almost set them up like mini-scrims. The rotation is published beforehand and people volunteer to command. This may be somewhat of a headache, but if there is a pool to choose from then when real life gets in the way, there are always backups available. We don't have to go to the lengths of publishing battle plans or any of that - just some type of organization would make it so much better than just another pub night with one extra step required for people to join the server.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X