my first attempt at SL and introduction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first attempt at SL and introduction

Hello everyone,I don't know if anyone on here has played with me but I've been playing on this awesome server for a while.I see the teamwork here far superior to most tactical shooters I've ever played,and with that I'd like to take a shot at SL.
    I mainly rarely tried it before because of my take on RP realism(squad/fire team formations,battle drills,contact reports)and how it can be a little hard to do with some not knowing exactly what all of that means.On the other hand with the new version it seems that all those things are needed just to survive.Just to cut to the chase,I didn't want to seem over bearing and overly technical in a game meant for fun.

This is an outline of how I'd like to run a squad:

1.squad split into two fire teams with the other team having its own TL to facilitate fire and maneuver
    2.dedicated squad positions ( saw gunner, at gunner, medic etc)
    3.basic knowledge of bounding,supporting fires,flanking,breaking contact.
    4.contact reports:distance ,direction, description.

Now this is all easily said than done,even though I do know a lot of these things are implemented I don't know if its being done to this extent.I hope people now understand my intention on the server if my attempt at Sl'ing is a bit over detailed.I know there are a lot of great players on here who can make this kind of thing happen if not already happening.

Re: my first attempt at SL and introduction

Dont sweat it man. We have and have had lots of people who like to run tight formations, fireteams and MTC proceedures with their squads. If anything, your ability to understand that stuff makes you a better squad leader than a lot of players around here to begin with, and it certainly makes it easier for you to manage a competent squad. If people gripe at you about it, tell them that they need to find a different squad or they need to listen and learn.

Comment

i look forward to playing with you Gonzo.

Comment

Love to play in squad with fire squads and I will definitely try to join your squad next time I see you, It very hard for a squad leader to maintain specially if you having few player rotations.

The only guy I know out there right now who is using fire quads successfully is disp0sableHer0 (no idea if I spelled it right)

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Hey Gonzo, think I've seen you out there a few times now. There's a lot of us out there that want precisely what you seem to want to do as SL. I am familiar to a degree with a lot of what you say and if I sl and have an able squad I will try to instil something similar.

If you have a slot in your squad sling me an invite, I'm always interested in trying to improve the tactical side of my game (well any side of it really, it could all do with it lol).

Seriously, if any player is serious about the TG way I would imagine they would be happy in your squads. If they query it, explain and give them a chance. If they still don't get on board then graciously invite them to find another squad.

Keep up the good work mate, see you out there.

Comment

Fireteams are okay but I 've seen only few rounds where they actually worked. People often forget which fireteam they are in or change kits without permission. You need well trained soldiers with lots of discipline for this.

I never actually tried it myself but I like to use people on point and surpression fire. Fireteams require lots of communication and tend to end up with more chit chat than actually playing the game...
            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

As some of you may know, me and TopCat have been experimenting with 8 man sections split up in 2-4 man fireteams for quite a while now. They work great to some extent and it's great fun!

Anyway, just holler over TS or ingame and you and me can maybe set one up ;)
              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
                Fireteams are okay but I 've seen only few rounds where they actually worked. People often forget which fireteam they are in or change kits without permission. You need well trained soldiers with lots of discipline for this.

It only starts to be usefull when everyone knows exactly what the other will do. If this automation is acquired, then the SL knows exactly where everyone is at any time, and communication becomes very simple.

In the mip fireteams, using your callsign "alpha1 down", lets your squad know what player is down, regardless of who is actually playing in that position.

Well its a lot of fun when you know the ropes. And off course I'm a sucker for using formations, if just because it looks so cool in game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo2-22 View Post
                  Hello everyone,I don't know if anyone on here has played with me but I've been playing on this awesome server for a while.I see the teamwork here far superior to most tactical shooters I've ever played,and with that I'd like to take a shot at SL.
                  I mainly rarely tried it before because of my take on RP realism(squad/fire team formations,battle drills,contact reports)and how it can be a little hard to do with some not knowing exactly what all of that means.On the other hand with the new version it seems that all those things are needed just to survive.Just to cut to the chase,I didn't want to seem over bearing and overly technical in a game meant for fun.

1.squad split into two fire teams with the other team having its own TL to facilitate fire and maneuver

Now this is all easily said than done,even though I do know a lot of these things are implemented I don't know if its being done to this extent.I hope people now understand my intention on the server if my attempt at Sl'ing is a bit over detailed.I know there are a lot of great players on here who can make this kind of thing happen if not already happening.
                  You'll have good success with all of these if you get the right squad going together here at TG.

Especially fireteam usage is awesome although less used because of it's complexitiy and different gameplay. I feel using them for fast attacks or attacking on several fronts to throw off the enemy is good. It's also good for flanking or similar tactics when you're surrounded or on defence.

Comment

While I enjoy playing Medic for Inf squads and MG Man/Engineer in Tank squads, I'd be happy as Larry to play SAW gunner in a squad that actually used me properly!

Last time I used a SAW, I was suppressing as ordered by the SL only to have an SM run into my fire and then punish me for the TK...

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo2-22 View Post

that's exactly what i am looking for! that's why i stick to TG
                      looking forward to playing with you

Comment

I've effectively used fireteams a few times. The key is to make sure you have an effective leader for your second FT. I'll only split the squad if I have another decent SL on board - someone whose squad I have been a member of. I will designate them as the FT2 lead and it actually makes my life easier, as I no longer have to worry about the exact positions of 5 other guys. I can set FT2 off to do something and then just worry about where my 2 guys are.

~Pilot

|
                        |

Comment

In my experience the two fireteam squad works very well. Granted I normally try to play in Disposable's squad if he's in game, and he is an excellent SL. I think it takes a great SL to keep everyone focused, and coordinated. As for the comms, the leader of the second fireteam is usually a regular and it's not hard to know their voice. And while we are frequently all jumbled together as a complete squad, it's easy for the SL to say "SM1, take SM2 and SM3 over to this location (map pointer) and look for a RP." Then we go and get it done. It can sometimes be a big advantage to split your squad and attack from different directions but everyone in the squad needs to know their role and cooperate. It can work and I personally enjoy the tactical aspect of it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X