You blew up my pc!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You blew up my pc!!

Last night after a GREAT round of Kashan, some terrorist violated the Geneva Convention and nuked my PC as we switched to Sunset City.

Seriously though, my PC is fried! It crashed when the server died and wouldn't let me unload the game. I alt-f4'd and got out finally. When I restarted BF2, the game froze at the Account Login screen. I was still on Teamspeak and could talk for a while. Then everything froze. I couldn't get out ANY way. No alt-f4, no ctrl-alt-del, no alt-tab, nothing!

So I hit the power button on the PC, as I have no reset button. Power back up after 2 minutes as normal, and it says my win.sys file is corrupt or missing!

WTF?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! :icon_conf: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

Any tips? I need to find my backup XP disk to try to boot from disk and see if I can repair the file.

Cross your fingers for me, this blows!
    sigpic

Re: You blew up my pc!!

Originally posted by Cpt_RatBastard View Post
    Last night after a GREAT round of Kashan, some terrorist violated the Geneva Convention and nuked my PC as we switched to Sunset City.

Seriously though, my PC is fried! It crashed when the server died and wouldn't let me unload the game. I alt-f4'd and got out finally. When I restarted BF2, the game froze at the Account Login screen. I was still on Teamspeak and could talk for a while. Then everything froze. I couldn't get out ANY way. No alt-f4, no ctrl-alt-del, no alt-tab, nothing!

So I hit the power button on the PC, as I have no reset button. Power back up after 2 minutes as normal, and it says my win.sys file is corrupt or missing!

WTF?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! :icon_conf: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

Any tips? I need to find my backup XP disk to try to boot from disk and see if I can repair the file.

Cross your fingers for me, this blows!

do you have a dell? or alienware which is owned by dell? can you not load into windows at all?

if you can't find the disk, you will have to erase the HD entirely.

a few weeks ago i had spyware which locked me out of my computer and after doing scan after scan after scan and spyware scans, in the end i had to erase the HD and have my friend reinstall everything again....i know how you feel, it sucks.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

google is your friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I tinker with old computers I find in the trash, and they will usually boot up with a random error message like the one you have, and I just google it and read through the answers, and usually find one that works.
      You may end of having to play around in the command prompt to bring it back, if at all.
      Crazy thing is, when I get back into the hard drive, there is usually lots of personal data still on it. Everything from bank accounts and CC numbers to pictures of their apt. and some rather hot pictures.
      People, please don't ever just throw out a hard drive. There is a good chance some evil person won't be as kind as me and erase the drive.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Not good. You dont have to wipe the drive, you could just buy another! Usually the windows setup disk will repair, reinstall or install a new windows directory.

The server crashed or froze after Kashan so it was like that for everyone pretty much. If it freezes try leaving it for 5 mins, eventually bf2 should say connection lost

Kashan should be last on the server list as it does tend to do this, I was kicked out at the map start along with 20 others

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
          do you have a dell? or alienware which is owned by dell? can you not load into windows at all?

if you can't find the disk, you will have to erase the HD entirely.

a few weeks ago i had spyware which locked me out of my computer and after doing scan after scan after scan and spyware scans, in the end i had to erase the HD and have my friend reinstall everything again....i know how you feel, it sucks.

If you poke around techspot.com you can usually find or get answers to fix most problems. There is a very good thread in there about removing viruses and spyware. I was able to get rid of a virus without having to reinstall everything....believe me if I can do it so can anyone.

Comment

If you have a second drive and valuable data on the corrupted, install windows and try to copy the file you need.
            I had that problem once with "hal.dll" and was able to get the corrupted drive working again.

Comment

Wow man viruses suck. BTW i also have a minor problem with my router box. All i know i have plugged in in my LAN and WLAN for my laptop. But for somereason it says i have a gateway to file share and such. It wont let me disable it either. The only way to get rid of it is to turn off the router. Then when it come back on, there is is again.

Anyway, Rat start from scratch again, i just did and it is a pain in the ass.
              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

You bastards!

(Just got carried away with the thread title, my apologies)

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Thats why you should never even think about Norton AV, crap, now my comp is dead since I thought about Norton... DAMN YOU !!!!!111oneoneone

Hope you can get through it ok, but like bamboo said, google is your friend. It truly helps in this kind of situation.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Google is nice when you can get a PC onto it. Kinda difficult from home when you only have one desktop that won't boot up.. :( I had to find my backup XP disk and do my XP semi-pseudo-install magic. Voila! So, it only took me 7 hours to get up and running again.

All better. Now I just have to verify all the programs work. Updating all drivers and windows accessories now. Looks like everything was saved. Except I can't find where this hot girl on a motorcycle for my desktop went to... I'm sure it's around here somewhere. Hooray for Backup folders on spare hard disks!!

With luck, I'll be back in the server by tonight.

Here's to all you guys that jump straight to the Fdisk! ..|.,

:)

I keep upgrading parts on pc's over the years and only Fdisk when getting new hard drives or starting from scratch. I don't understand why there are those of you out there that feel like it's a monthly routine.. Try some preventative maintenance routinely, saves a bunch of hassle. Unless you get a random power surge or the server throws you the laser beam from Tron. ;)

Oddly, my internet connection appears to be faster now. I just dl'd the 43mb drivers for my 7800GTX (x2 sli) in 22 seconds. ;) (1840 kb/s down. :) )
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome back

If you want to avoid scares of this sort, a good program is Acronis True Image. It makes a perfect duplicate of your hard drive over to another drive, then you should keep the original drive as a spare to fall back on

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Apparently you have to reinstall bf2 after losing the My Docs folder.... Grr. So now begins the quest to find the CD Jewel Case for BF2.

To the storage unit, Ratman!
                        sigpic

Comment

Make sure you have the manual, you will need your CD Key most likely.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I didnt think anything unique was stored in the my docs. Your account details can be retreived and the rest is just settings

Comment

Use Norton Ghost Solution Suite, make a ghost image of your HD in case you have anymore problems, works well for Gov computers when we test and crash different systems. Have a nice day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X