Pre game jitters!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre game jitters!

A month ago, the pre game period which BF2 designates as "commander election started" was at a good 2 min. it was then up'd to 2:30, then 3:00 and now 5:00.

Whats the dealio? I think that 2-2:30 min is plenty of time to load, coordinate and plan. 5:00 is excruciating!

I always get the same answer from folks on TG, "it's for slow loaders."

Let me tell you why that is a bunch of BS.

Before my current comp :), I had a 1.4ghz celeron. A CELERON! not to mention only 512 mb ram and a fx5200. with that configuration I loaded a map in a minute, or a few seconds more.

if it takes someone 2+ minutes to load, they shouldn't be playing any game made past 1999 let alone PR.

and thats what really grinds my gears!
    [sigpic]

sigpic

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
    -Mark Twain

In game: |TG| Maxwell_Q_Klinger

Re: Pre game jitters!

If you've just done a 3+ hour match the 5 minutes give you a chance to take care of a few personal matters and still get back and have some time for some planning. I support something in the 4-5 minute range.

|

Comment

i like it - and i think oldirty made a POLL concening this which concluded that 5 min are favorized by the majority

btw: not every1 is playing on low settings and has loading times less than 1 min - i rather wait 30 sec more and have good gfx quality - and thanks to the new timer i don't have to be afraid of getting in late

Comment

My computer is 4 years old, and I get at least a 2.5 minute load time, if I am lucky, usually much more than that. Don't tell me what games I can and can't play ;)

Am I grinding your gears?
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Turkish, honestly if it takes you that long to load you need to do a system diagnostic. there is probably a bunch of crap running in the background. the thing is, if your system is running efficiently, you shouldn't have more than 1:35 load time.

It doesn't matter if you are running it on high system specs. the load time increase would be negligible if you set it to high graphics settings. if you have low or high system specs, you can only run the game at a certain graphics level at which your computer can handle.
          if the video settings are incredibly high, but your video card can't handle the settings it will just lag.

I had a 7300gs and ran PR and mid settings. I recently upgraded to a 8600gts and have all the settings on the highest. Both cards were able to load the map at 35-45 seconds on their respective settings. With the 7300gs, i could have put the system settings to highest, and the load time would be much greater, but the graphics card couldn't process that high of settings.

I know what it looks like, but I'm not trying to be mean or boastful. I just want everyone to have the best experience possible! :)
          [sigpic]

sigpic

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
          -Mark Twain

In game: |TG| Maxwell_Q_Klinger

Comment

Yeah, well.....

I think the time is good because not only does it give people time, i can grab a drink or even make lunch in that 5 min spawn time. By time i click the join button on the loading screen, its like 4:45 seconds so i have all that time to do w/e i want.
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

As Warlab mentioned above, with the average map time in .7 pushing 2 hours, if not more, then a 5 minute break is really appreciated. Additionally, with the amount of coordination required on some maps, I've used a large percentage of those 5 minutes talking to the commander and then relaying and finalizing those plans with my squad. And sometimes, when that level of planning isn't required, it's nice to just be able to talk to the guys you're going to be in the sh!t with and get to know them a little bit, right?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Most good squad leaders use this time to setup comms with the commander, get the squad sorted out with kits, get their plan of action ready, and shoot the **** with their squad.

I think the time is great! maybe your playing with a bunch of people with no voip???

Comment

I take about a 1.5-2 min to load any given map. It's nice to have the extra time to get myself situated in a squad and up to speed on any plans.
                  | | |

Comment

I think 5 minutes isn't bad for a wait. If we are doing PR in TG then it is expected that we are serious. That means squad formations, getting drinks, taking a poop....etc between games.

Anyone that needs less time is not serious enough to be playing here...!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Maxwell, I don't have backround tasks running ;) Ever heard of 4800rpm HD's? AGP 4x?Ya, well I got them all. If you know of any magical techniques to make load faster, feel free to share.
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by O=T-M-A-N=O View Post
                        I think 5 minutes isn't bad for a wait. If we are doing PR in TG then it is expected that we are serious. That means squad formations, getting drinks, taking a poop....etc between games.

Anyone that needs less time is not serious enough to be playing here...!!
                        Taking a poop? Thanks for sharing that :D

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                          Maxwell, I don't have backround tasks running ;) Ever heard of 4800rpm HD's? AGP 4x?Ya, well I got them all. If you know of any magical techniques to make load faster, feel free to share.
                          What are you running for an OS - Windows 3.1?

Comment

Xp Senior Disposable :)
                            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                              Xp Senior Disposable :)
                              XP = eXtra Performance, huh?

Turkish, my friend, time to upgrade the hardware. I need a new rig, too. I have to sweet-talk the wife though...won't be easy. Probably harder than getting DirtBoy out of his beloved panic room...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X