Unnecessary In-game chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnecessary In-game chatter

Ever since 0.7 went public, I've notice a lot more irrelevant and unnecessary text chatter in-game... Things like game mechanic gripes, namecalling, gloating, etc. Is it possible for us to keep the text chat to important round-based intel? Don't forget... the server does say, "Maturity required."

The irrelevant chat is not only distracting, but it also causes important information relayed from a teammate to get easily lost in the noise.

...just a humble request :(.

Lord of the Mangoes
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Re: Unnecessary In-game chatter

Originally posted by JCTango View Post
    Ever since 0.7 went public, I've notice a lot more irrelevant and unnecessary text chatter in-game... Things like game mechanic gripes, namecalling, gloating, etc. Is it possible for us to keep the text chat to important round-based intel? Don't forget... the server does say, "Maturity required."

The irrelevant chat is not only distracting, but it also causes important information relayed from a teammate to get easily lost in the noise.

...just a humble request :(.
    With the Team Co-Ord channels on TS, I would have thought that text chat had out-lived its usefulness by now.

Comment

Agreed, as I am sure many will when they read this, text chatter is too frequently used for non game chatter.
      sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

A few days ago someone on the enemy team typed "I once knew a guy who would not eat a hot dog whole, he had to cut it into pieces because he thought it looked like a you-know-what"
        I typed back "How is that relevant?"
        He said "I'm hoping this guy will stop moving and read it so I can snipe him!"

Text has its uses ;)
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

timely post...I posted this in another TS related thread: Please comment-

I have a question about TS that's related but didn't want to start a new thread so pardon my hijack.

back in the .5 days I played mucho PR and always signed on to TS. I'm getting back into PR in a big way I think and last night I joined up and then joined the general PR TS channel.

There was lots of chatter that centered on mostly non game related issues and this was a big no no back in my .5 days. Now I see there are team coordination channels for a deeper level of comms than in the past...but.... I'm curious if non game related chatter is accepted or allowed and encouraged in the general PR TS channel now. I've been out of the loop so long I didn't feel right saying anything to those in channel. I checked in on the admin channel asking for a gentle word to the mates re: said issue but the solution suggested was changing channels to the one of the coordination channels. I"m not calling anyone out I just want to understand where we are at as a community on this so I can act and expect accordingly.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
            A few days ago someone on the enemy team typed "I once knew a guy who would not eat a hot dog whole, he had to cut it into pieces because he thought it looked like a you-know-what"
            I typed back "How is that relevant?"
            He said "I'm hoping this guy will stop moving and read it so I can snipe him!"

Text has its uses ;)
            ahahah... funny.. :P

You know... I don't really care if the game is going fine... Most of the time.. If I do something usefull, I'm just no reading the text chat!
            Play Tactical Gamer Only

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

There was lots of chatter that centered on mostly non game related issues and this was a big no no back in my .5 days. Now I see there are team coordination channels for a deeper level of comms than in the past...but.... I'm curious if non game related chatter is accepted or allowed and encouraged in the general PR TS channel now. I've been out of the loop so long I didn't feel right saying anything to those in channel. I checked in on the admin channel asking for a gentle word to the mates re: said issue but the solution suggested was changing channels to the one of the coordination channels. I"m not calling anyone out I just want to understand where we are at as a community on this so I can act and expect accordingly.
              "/1" PR Admin Channel
              "/2" PR Public Channel
              "/3" PR Team Coor 1
              "/4" PR Team Coor 2
              "/5" Private

In general, players are expected to keep chatter to a minimum. Coor. Channels are expected to be silent, and only used for tactical information. Usually I join the Pub channel, say hi, sup, whats shakin etc... And Then keep quiet or move to the appropriate channel. I know it can be annoying, but it's to be expected. Now, on a side note...Ferris, Broom, Nardini and I were in Private almost all of last night just talking willy nilly. Wasn't bothering anyone up there, were we :)

Don't worry about it too much.
              Skud

Comment

Glad to see ya back Grunt. I was having the same problem last night on comms during the Qawi River map at the beginning, and for the 1st time actually asked people to stop talking. I couldn't hear anything my SL Disposable was saying, and it was getting pretty crazy around the fishing village.
                Maybe it was my fault for being in the Public channel though, cause most of my squad that was on TS changed channels and that worked well.
                Maybe that is the way it should be. Talk freely in the public channel, but hush up so I can listen for footsteps in the Team Coor channels.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just mute the headphones, thats what i do. Or turn down the TS volume(if you can)Although sometimes it does get annoying.
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Having less text chatter would make for a dull game. It isn't like it is running down into the middle of the screen blocking what people are doing in game. It may make it more difficult for the people in a squad that may have a squad mate that has no VOiP or mic though. In general I think most people do have VOiP and a mic though. Usually when I am playing it is late at night, so most people seem to have VOiP turned off or whatever so they do not disturb room mates or spouse so most type what is going on around them and such. Guess fast reading help, what I usually see in text chat is not enough to worry about. Not as long as it is good conversation that is not namecalling or other stuff I have seen as well. Still it isn't all that bad. Sometimes I have gotten a real good laugh from the text chat.
                    Now if it is vulgar language being typed in I could unnderstand, but most are usually kicked for that after the warning.

Comment

I think that the Public room should get quiet as soon as the round timer starts. Your squad leader and commander should be talking and there's no reason to carry on about our horribly boring social lives. However, the team coord. channels are to be quiet except for game-related talk, and that should be kept to a minimum. Please observe good coms skills while in those channels. Skud raises a good point - if you want to chatter away, go to the Private channel. Perhaps we need a new channel that is there for chat during a game, and everything else is quiet.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Hmmm, must have done that misreading or something again. I thought this thread was about in-game text chatter, not TS?

Comment

Originally posted by Terminal Boy View Post
                          With the Team Co-Ord channels on TS, I would have thought that text chat had out-lived its usefulness by now.

I get on TS Team Co-ords, but not everyone uses TG's TS.. so text chat is still useful in relaying info.

Lord of the Mangoes

Comment

lol, I'm a person who uses the text chat in-game a lot. I usually get shouted at to shut-up and just play but how can I play when I'm suppose to camp somewhere and there isn't even an enemy fingernail that I can shoot at. I think any misc. chat through VOIP or TS shouldn't be allowed though. Text should since you should be using mics not text to communicate important things.

I think that if you don't like the text, just either A) ignore it or B) cover it up with paper or something. Otherwise live with it, it's a game and it's suppose to keep people entertained, not keep people bored to hell.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                            In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

if i wanted to text chat i'd play an mmo or use an instant messanger :P.

I'm not saying that once in a while random chatter is bad.. i'm saying when it's nonstop.. it gets spammy. Like i said, people still use text chat to relay intel.. And since this is Tactical Gamer, be tactical, and respect the chatspace :P

Lord of the Mangoes

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X