TeamSpeak suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeamSpeak suggestion

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but; How about instead of having PR team 1 and PR team 2 co-ordination in the BF2 TeamSpeak area, having PR axis team and PR allies team. it can make it difficult to work out which is team 1 and which is 2, you need to wait until the end of the round and look at the tickets. By Axis and Allies I mean Axis=Insurgents, Militia, Peoples Liberation Army, Middle Eastern Coalition. Allies is Great British Forces, United States Marine Corps.

Just thought it would help clear things up a bit.

Westy.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: TeamSpeak suggestion

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
    Not sure if this has been suggested before, but; How about instead of having PR team 1 and PR team 2 co-ordination in the BF2 TeamSpeak area, having PR axis team and PR allies team. it can make it difficult to work out which is team 1 and which is 2, you need to wait until the end of the round and look at the tickets. By Axis and Allies I mean Axis=Insurgents, Militia, Peoples Liberation Army, Middle Eastern Coalition. Allies is Great British Forces, United States Marine Corps.

Just thought it would help clear things up a bit.

Westy.
    Having sat staring at my TS display trying to figure this exact thing out, I think this is splendid idea!

Comment

I think it's a great idea. We could also just say that Team 1 is permanently Allies and Team 2 is Axis and put it in the channel description.

Regardless, I'll see if there is something that can be done to make it clear which channel is which. Maybe even add a message to the standard message spam that you see during the round. We'll figure something out!

[EDIT]

Done!

PR Team 1 Coord. (Allies)

Channel Description: This is the channel for the Allied team - USA, Britian. ...

PR Team 2 Coord. (Axis)

Channel Description: This is the channel for the "Axis of Evil" team - Insurgents, MEC, Militia, China.

[/EDIT]

Enjoy!

[EDIT 2]

One BIG problem: You have to remember to switch channels after each round! I kinda forgot about that small little detail.

Why don't we try it and see how it works. It's very easy to switch back to the previous descriptions if we have problems. I would suggest that everyone please remember to double-check who is in the channel when you join and be polite if someone from the wrong team hops into channel by accident. I'm not sure how this is going to work, but we'll give it a test run today and see how it goes.

[/EDIT]

After further review - this just won't work. With teams switching sides after each map, it's just too much hassle to keep remembering to switch channels. It is easier to just ask if you are in the right channel and then once there, you don't have to worry unless you get team-switched by the auto-balancer.

Great idea, but no way to implement it so that it is hassle-free.
      Last edited by disposableHero; 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM. Reason: won't work even though I really like the idea

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

This sure will reduce the confusion for me sometimes, thanks!

Comment

dont like it, you would have to swap over every time a map changes

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
            dont like it, you would have to swap over every time a map changes
            True, but it would greatly simplify new people joining in and getting them on the right channel. There is always a certain amount of guess work in joining one of those channels and you have a 50/50 chance of being on the wrong channel depending on the round. Besides, it's easy as anything to setup some unused keys to flip from one channel to the other on TS.

With all that said, I generally ignore TS though since TS seems to be full of just chatting during the game and I can't hear my SL's orders from all the noise. Hence my also having a key programmed to mute TS. Well that and I seem to have a 20% chance of running TS and BF2 at the same time and getting a horrible noise out of my VOIP.

Comment

A round last like 1-2 hours so just ALT+TAB out and switch teams if applicable seems ok to me.

Comment

We had this originally, but had to switch it to the team 1/2 channel names because people would forget to switch, it's just too much of a hassle. All you need to do is ask what side is which and switch accordingly.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Never use TS anyway. Just another thingy running in the background confusing any issues with everyone chatting all over the place.
                  [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
                    Never use TS anyway. Just another thingy running in the background confusing any issues with everyone chatting all over the place.
                    If people are chatting, just change the channel. However, you can be extremely deadly with squad leaders communicating on TS. We had a round the other night on Fools Road with fuzz running one inf squad, disposable running another, and me running an APC squad. We were the only three on TS (except my gunner was listening to stay in the loop). We were able to shoot, move, and communicate effectively amongst ourselves and I think it made the difference for our team. The CO could give our "mechanized infantry platoon" an order and we could take care of the rest.

~Pilot

|
                    |

Comment

If it were possible to keep everyone quiet on the TS channel except for the SL's, I think it would be a great resource. Squad members could listen in at their discretion, but with only SL's talking, it would cut down on the chatter and help them coordinate better.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Grounded_Pilot View Post
                        If people are chatting, just change the channel. However, you can be extremely deadly with squad leaders communicating on TS. We had a round the other night on Fools Road with fuzz running one inf squad, disposable running another, and me running an APC squad. We were the only three on TS (except my gunner was listening to stay in the loop). We were able to shoot, move, and communicate effectively and I think it made the difference for our team.

~Pilot
                        This is a perfect example of how to effectively use teamspeak. We were able to coordinate between squads without having to relay everything to our commander and burdening him with more work as the middle-man. Instantaneous communication of enemy location, strength, and movement is just deadly. That was teamwork at it's best.

I know Topcat had posted a while ago about trying to turn squads into fireteams and coordinating it all over TS. It is a great idea when used properly and really is devastating.

It also works very well when communicating between ground and air squads. It allows the ground troops to coordinate much more efficiently as FAC units than having to go through the commander.

It definitely needs to be utilized more. As always, good coms discipline is extremely important to keep the communication quick and efficient.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I came up with the idea, Nardini implemented it, and it sucked. Nothing more to be said. You switch teams on the server every round, but not TS channels.
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I can see its usefulness for SL's and commanders as the BF2 engine doesn't allow inter-squad coms (BF3 is supposed to remedy that but it will be years before PRM is ported to BF3).

As long as the SL communicates over VOIP to the rest of the squad and TS is restricted to SL's and Commander I can see it being beneficial.

Nothing more frustrating than joining a game (squad) using TS if you don't have it and don't want it.

You play in virtual silence wondering what everyone is up to.
                            [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

I have a question about TS that's related but didn't want to start a new thread so pardon my hijack.

back in the .5 days I played mucho PR and always signed on to TS. I'm getting back into PR in a big way I think and last night I joined up and then joined the general PR TS channel.

There was lots of chatter that centered on mostly non game related issues and this was a big no no back in my .5 days. Now I see there are team coordination channels for a deeper level of comms than in the past...but.... I'm curious if non game related chatter is accepted or allowed and encouraged in the general PR TS channel now. I've been out of the loop so long I didn't feel right saying anything to those in channel. I checked in on the admin channel asking for a gentle word to the mates re: said issue but the solution suggested was changing channels to the one of the coordination channels. I"m not calling anyone out I just want to understand where we are at as a community on this so I can act and expect accordingly.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed