Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European TG server

Hi,

I wonder if you have an idea to run an European TG Server, meaning physically located in EU? Due to the TG reputation there are many EU players wanting to join but the ping is extremely high... and as far as i know TG server kicks high-pingers...

Gurgul

Re: European TG server

I dont think they kick high pings, Ive seen one guy with 1000ms and often people have several hundred.
    Several australian players can be seen at times

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/working...x.php?sh_srv=0

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Ive been playing on the TG-server for over a year, with a ping of about 150 [playing from Sweden] and have never really experienced any problems.

The advantage with having just one server is that there are people on it during most hours of the day. In recent time, it has been a great feeling to log on to the server at 1200h and see it full.
      sigpic
      The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

I should check the kick-reason then because I couldn't manage to join so far... Some regional restrictions?

Anyway, my question is still valid: about the European server.

Gurgul

Comment

Well i think there are alot of possibilites.

1. Cost. Hosting servers at an extra company in Europe will cost more money.
          2. Administration. Our current servers are hosted by wolf. We would have to find an equal hosting company in the UK that provide the same possibilites for administration, tweaks so it isn't twice the work to admin.
          3. Usage. If we start say a PR and 2142 server (which have the biggest player-bases), these will somewhat compete with the US ones. But they might also attract new players which means more money, so it's difficult to see the outcome without doing a test-periode or something.

I'm all for a euro TG invasion, but it seems a bit of a gamble, unless we have so many Euro players it warrants to try it out.

But it all comes down to what Apo, asch and the TG leadership thinks as well. Maybe they can comment? And also, this thread should be moved to the "Server wishlist" forum.

Comment

We actually have people playing from all over the world. Dirtboy, one of our admins, plays from korea and regularly has a ping of 200+. I know and regularly play PR with LOTS of players from europe, as well as australia, south america and asia who have high pings and they never get kicked. I can almost say as fact that TG doesnt kick for ping issues, unless the staff has VERY recently changed the kick routines.

The kick rules are pretty basic:
            -At 62 players, the server is full. This is deceptive, however as you could be looking at a server with 58 players on it and it can still be full. This is because the BF2 browser cant update in real time and generally when the server is nearly full, any open slots are snatched up faster than cake at a birthday party full of fat kids. You'll appear to be loading in, but generally get the kick message.
            -You have to join a squad within 90 seconds of joining the server. Failure to do so will get you a kick automatically.
            -Three punished TKs, or a negative score of -30 will get you kicked automatically.
            -The server is set up to kick the non supporting member who has been playing for the longest amount of time if a supporting member tries to join the full server.

Also, from everything that I understand, our servers are primarily hosted out of a large datacenter in Virginia (USA). Apophis is the man in charge of all that and even with the vast amount of non-US gamers that we have, we've never had a EU-based server. You could certainly discuss the possibility with the higher ups though. I'd recommend trying to discuss the possibility through PM to either Apophis or Asch. They will also be able to give you a rock solid answer about your ping-related kick issue.

Comment

I usually ping around the 100ms mark from the UK and the only time I've seen the server lag was during commander supply/vehicle drop hacks.

Comment

I'm in South West England and generally I have a ping of around 130-200ms. I do get the occasional lag spike where my ping jumps to 600+, but that only last around 10secs.
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by gurgul View Post
                  I should check the kick-reason then because I couldn't manage to join so far... Some regional restrictions?

Anyway, my question is still valid: about the European server.

Gurgul
                  The server is full at 62 of 64 to accomodate our Supporting Member (SM) script. If you can't join, chances are the server is filled. Try again in a little bit as a spot may have opened up. Once you do get in, know that the supporting member kick removes the non-SM who has been on the server the longest, so you should have a good run. The other alternative is to become a supporting member and bump off a non-supporting member. :D It's like $8 a month and well worthwhile.

Lucky Shot

Comment

And 8 USD is like, what, 2 UK Pounds nowadays? ;)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                      And 8 USD is like, what, 2 UK Pounds nowadays? ;)
                      Nearer 4, so not much change from a pint and packet of crisps and 1 short of a gallon of unleaded...

Comment

Gamemonitor.com used to list the maxping for each server along with other server variables and used to show maxping >350 (ie would autokick for average ping higher than this no.), however, the variable isn't listed for the TG PR server anymore and would need to be confirmed by a server admin.

My ping average is 270, I don't get autokicked for high-ping but I do for "losing key packets", which is a fault with my ISP and the because I live 13870 km away from the server.

You should be able to play on the TG PR server if your average ping is <350 and your internet connection is stable.

Comment

Actually, I joined today and got avg. 180 ping which appears to be "not too bad" for PR :-)

Most probably the reason I didn't manage to join before is the false-positive BF browser information, i.e. it says 58/64 while in reality it is 62/64 :-) or something like this...

Anyway, I am among those noobs (lol, I am 45 age and play games since 1985) thinking that "ping does matter" and that's why I look for closer server. I can play at 150-170 ping, I can deal with it, but just thought it would be better to play at 80, that's all :-)

As a part of my business I have some fair amount of servers plugged in our internet backbone and I would be happy if TG captains are interested in running EU TG test drive server to check the possible audience, etc. Just an idea.

Gurgul

Comment

You should PM Apophis or Asch if you want a solid answer and if you are serious about devoting nearly free resources and time to it.

I think there's enough Europe TG'ers around to help out with admin, server seeding etc if it comes to that.

Comment

The problem with another server is money. It costs ALOT to run a server, especially if we are going to have to find a different provider in Europe. While BFx has one of the larger player bases at TG we barely have enough supporting members to support 6 servers (2x 2142, PR, PoE, FH2, and the private server). Not to mention the fact that we are still seeing the influx of players from the .7 release, it will most certainly die down in a few months.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X