Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "I'm pinned down" a good reason?

Hi Folks, SSA here,

A question for all you PR vets: When a move order is given, is the answer "I'm pinned down!" acceptable?

Assuming the SL is sane, shouldn't the folks in question find a safe route to the move marker?

How is this handled in real tactical situations? How could this be handled in game in a tactically accurate way? What liberties do we get in "game" versus "reality"?

SSA out.
    |TG-Irr|SirShotAlot
    (SSA for short)

| | |

Re: Is "I'm pinned down" a good reason?

If i was pinned down i would expect that my squad would work to back me up so we could make it to the move marker.
    Smurfs law - Though Shalt back track wherever possible

Comment

Re: Is "I'm pinned down" a good reason?

SL: "Soulja, maneuver around the building and approach the flag!"
      Soulja: "Roger that!"
      Soulja: *throws smoke grenade to block view of soldiers and sprint to target*
      OR
      Soulja: *opens map to see nearest ally unit(s)* "<soldier's name>, lay down fire near my position to suppress enemy!" *Sprint's to target while enemies are distracted/under fire*

That's how I might handle it, it might not be that exact scenario but if it was, either option would allow me to get out of enemies view and make my way to my target.
      "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

Re: Is &quot;I'm pinned down&quot; a good reason?

If you reported in with just that information, comms would go as follows in my squad:

SM: "Lead, SirShot reporting, Im pinned down."
        SL: "Number & Direction?" (you should specify in your initial report so i dont have to ask.)
        SM: "2 tangos, rooftop, North 40 degrees.
        SL: "ACTION/NORTH!, -lets smoke out and provide covering fire, regroup on SL at bridge" (at this point I should have an attack marker up where we need to open up hell to get you out of trouble.)

(Ideally, I would hear you initially report with more information such as:"Sirshot reporting contact- 40 degrees North, 100m, 2 tangos rooftop,) Your name and location from squad leader really help, but sometimes you just dont have time to report that much information.
        Say "contact" if you haven't been engaged & "action" if they have already opened up fire. example: "Action!, 185*! 3 tangos, hills! Just remember direction/number/location with all reports.

Some squad leaders will call out formations like "online" and direction if they need squad to form up a line facing that direction...example: Squad ONLINE NORTH! if I feel we have the enemy outnumbered, on the retreat, or if I see multiple contacts that we need to lay down a lot of firepower onto in one direction.

I'll post a link to some .pdf field manuals that go through all of this fun stuff if you want. I personally love this stuff...but it is much better suited for paintball or a game such as ARMA.
        |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Depends on who is leading you, and the context of the move marker. I like to give some freedom to my squad, it's just a game.. Who wants to goto war after a day of work? Some SL's will give you specific orders to stand/sit/prone here, and look in this direction. I would love to give more specific orders but do not have the patience, the energy, and I don't think PR is at the point where that proves very useful.

If I was leading and I give a move marker, it would mean make your best effort to get "here". If you are pinned I would hope you have already communicated this to the squad so we can deal with it as a team.

If you were halfway across the map by yourself, engaging targets by yourself, the move marker would be more of a "Move it, why are you all the ways out there?"

I'm an angry person.

Comment

Pinned down would imply suicide if you move at all. IMO, you use every tactic (smoke, covering fire) to move unless there is NO option, then you really are "pinned down". But, as Warehouse states, the squad should then rally to engage the target to aid in the escape.

So, pinned down is just a description of the situation and should not be a reason to do nothing, IMO.
            sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

This happens much more now. Happened to us earlier approaching qwai mine and we couldnt do anything really.
              Smoke, return indirect fire (usually that means chuck a nade), flank.
              In that order, flanking worked for me and I took out the rp but it took like 15 mins to get there when the enemy was 30 secs away :/
              Cover fire from a 3rd party would be nice but cas or whatever suport of that quality is gold dust

Yes it is acceptable comms imo

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by |30+|SirShotalot View Post
                Hi Folks, SSA here,

A question for all you PR vets: When a move order is given, is the answer "I'm pinned down!" acceptable?

Assuming the SL is sane, shouldn't the folks in question find a safe route to the move marker?

How is this handled in real tactical situations? How could this be handled in game in a tactically accurate way? What liberties do we get in "game" versus "reality"?

SSA out.
                Pinned down means, "I can't move without getting killed, I need support." Pinned down is the short version. Assuming the squad leader gave the orders to move where they got pinned down all he should need to know is where the fire is coming from to flank the position and relive the pinned squad.

If the people pinned down were where they were supposed to be, the SL should make every effort to relive his men, since he got them into trouble in the first place. You never leave a man in that situation if he is where you wanted him to go. Now if he was off somewhere he wasn't supposed to be, the SL would be well within his rights to leave the SM to his fate, and continue to the squads objective.

In a real life situation, the leader's men are always where he ordered them to go, so it's always his responsibility to get support to extricate his men safely by either handling it himself via flanking, or coordinating support. You never question a man who states he is pinned down and needs support, period.

Comment

[QUOTE=|30+|SirShotalot;893429]Hi Folks, SSA here,

SSA out.[/QUO

As a military , i know that if i found myself in that kind of situation , my section will do everything to get my out of there (artillery support , airstike ect)

But in PR (and reallife as well) i think that if you find yourself pinned down ALONE its because you did something wrong , cause you should never be very far from your squad(in general) , so if your squad leader issue a move order and some SM are pinned down , theres a problem (exept a retreat order hehe) . But if the distance between you and your squad is great i dont think the squad should move to rescue you (depend of situation of course) .

But to answer your first question , yes i think that pinned down is a very good reason hehe.
                  sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                    Pinned down means, "I can't move without getting killed, I need support." Pinned down is the short version. Assuming the squad leader gave the orders to move where they got pinned down all he should need to know is where the fire is coming from to flank the position and relive the pinned squad.

If the people pinned down were where they were supposed to be, the SL should make every effort to relive his men, since he got them into trouble in the first place. You never leave a man in that situation if he is where you wanted him to go. Now if he was off somewhere he wasn't supposed to be, the SL would be well within his rights to leave the SM to his fate, and continue to the squads objective.

In a real life situation, the leader's men are always where he ordered them to go, so it's always his responsibility to get support to extricate his men safely by either handling it himself via flanking, or coordinating support. You never question a man who states he is pinned down and needs support, period.
                    +1!

"Can't move, Boss! I'm pinned down by fire from X at location Y" should be all the response the SL needs to change squad orders to deal with the situation.

If he still wants me to stand up and run head long into visible enemy fire, I'll be considering a change of squad...

Comment

When your Marines, no man gets left behind!
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

If you're "pinned down" in PRM odds are you're a goner anyway because it wont be long before someone lobs a grenade at you or charges in to get the kill.

Too many times I've seen where some will very unrealistically charge your position , guns blazing in Rambo mode and be damned the consequences.Probably looking for that knife kill so they can brag their "l33t skilz" (only an idiot uses a knife in a gun fight anyway).

Unlike RL , life is not a valuable commodity in PRM so the SL will more than likely simply wait for you to re-spawn on hopefully a RP he has set up. And that 30 seconds is just about the right amount of time to get a refill and light one up.
                        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Pinned down, taking heavy fire/resistance, can't move due to a tank or apc or a squad (happened to me on qingling) that is less than 3 feet from me and walking past me and my squad mates, are all good reasons why one might not be able to move as fast as one would like to a designated move marker from the commander.

As others have stated, giving directions/coordinates of where the bullets/tank shells/jdam is coming from are all good examples of teamwork and coordination and can help expedite a transition from one are to the next.

On the few times that i have commanded, I have told squads to relieve squad a at this area so squad b can help squad c take this flag, etc.....or cover squad x, while squad y takes this flag or checks out this area...

This is a great topic and the reason why I like it, is because in certain cases, on certain maps, mechanized infantry should be implemented more i.e. apcs in a inf squad, with the SL being an officer..And/or apcs, being transports for other squads much like LBs are.

Just because we can't spawn on the SL or the APC doesn't mean we can't still use them for our advantage.....but they can also help a squad that is pinned down by coming in, providing some fire, dropping off a squad and helping while danger and death and the fear of being overrun looms nearby.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                          Level I HazMat Technician
                          NYS EMT-B
                          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

When a squad or a section of a squad gets pinned down in a location that they're supposed to be, an orderly disengagement and retreat is in order. Use smoke, suppression fire and grenades and bug out if possible. Get backup/support from the rest of the squad or another nearby squad.

If you're off by yourself and caught out of position, you may as well throw everything you have at the enemy position as a decoy and wait for the enemy team to pour in on you. Done properly you can pull many of them away from their position and allow the rest of the squad to reach their objective. Communicating this with your SL is key; let him know that you've got the enemies' attention drawn to you so they can slip in through the back or side.

For example, on Qwai my squad was moving towards Gov't Office flag through the northern gardens. We encountered sandbag emplacements and an AA gun pointed that way. Everyone got mowed down except for me; I managed to hide in a corner next to the open doorway but every time I moved the AA gun put a burst on the ground at my feet. I started lobbing smoke and frags at the doorway and soon enemy infantry came running through to look for me. Some of them got caught in my ambush before they waxed me; meanwhile the rest of my squad had regrouped and circled around the back of Gov't to come in through the main entrance from the south.
                            |TG-6th|Belhade
                            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post

This is a great topic and the reason why I like it, is because in certain cases, on certain maps, mechanized infantry should be implemented more i.e. apcs in a inf squad, with the SL being an officer..And/or apcs, being transports for other squads much like LBs are.

Just because we can't spawn on the SL or the APC doesn't mean we can't still use them for our advantage.....but they can also help a squad that is pinned down by coming in, providing some fire, dropping off a squad and helping while danger and death and the fear of being overrun looms nearby.
                              Ah, a well run Mech Inf squad is a thing of beauty!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X