Enemy Position reporting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enemy Position reporting.

A while ago there were various lectures on the ways and means of reporting activities. After giving it some thought and taking into consideration the restrictions placed on PRM by the BF2 engine (ie players can’t use hand signals) I come up with the following idea.

Obviously it wouldn’t be applicable in all situations but it might help I some confusing ones.

-Player reports activity relative to his position (ie NW of my position).
    -SL can use the map to locate the player reporting and get his bearing to the player form that.
    -Place an “attack here” or “move here” marker in the vicinity of the activity to attract the attention of the other squad members but advise them to observe only if he doesn’t want to attack or move at this point in time.

Might work, might not. Depends on the mentality of the other squad members.

Just some random thoughts
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Enemy Position reporting.

Seen several switched on SLs use that method and spent a round as an APC gunner with the driving SL using this method to mark distant targets.

Worked a treat!

Comment

Yeah as a SL I always try to inform my squad with the move marker tactic.
      Always seems to do its job too.

Comment

I like using the move marker tactic, and i would also use the grid, and say SW, or NW etc..

However, I have started to use the Number Keypad when saying what grid enemy is in, if i am commanding or not in the same same squad as those who might be near or who won't be able to see the move marker.

Let me tell you old tricks die hard, its been tough getting used to using the number keypad and the grid system...but its something i have to change because its very useful, one of the most useful things in forms of communication.
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
        Level I HazMat Technician
        NYS EMT-B
        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
          -Player reports activity relative to his position (ie NW of my position).
          -SL can use the map to locate the player reporting and get his bearing to the player form that.
          -Place an “attack here” or “move here” marker in the vicinity of the activity to attract the attention of the other squad members but advise them to observe only if he doesn’t want to attack or move at this point in time.

Might work, might not. Depends on the mentality of the other squad members.

Just some random thoughts
          Yes, some of the squadleaders already use this method, especially since the removal of the little red spotting system.
          |TG-6th|Belhade
          "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Oh--so it wasn't such a novel idea after all...:(
            [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

I use this too, started doing it in .5

Comment

Another option is to report relative to the SL's position. This gives the SL easy info, and most SMs can keep track of/find the SL (if not other SMs).

-Diligent

Comment

Nice. I already use this technique when SL'ing in 2142. I can't wait to try out PR.

Comment

I assumed this was standard fare for squad-leaders, as I haven't joined a squad where this tactic wasn't used.

Comment

In my squad I handle it one of two ways:

1) If I spot an enemy I make sure I get an attack marker on it's position, even if it means I die in the process. This allows the other 5 members of my squad to put overwhelming fire on the enemy and then revive me. If I am not under direct fire, I will update the marker as the OpFor moves.
                      2) If one of my squad reports contact, I put a marker on that position - either directly on my SM or in the location he indicates (usually Grid/Key) and adjust the marker accordingly.

This system works great. It only requires some coms discipline. Between the coms and the markers, my squad has high situational awareness and we are very effective at dealing with the OpFor.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

yea, i use mentioned tactics.
                        sigpic
                        I'm Back.

Comment

I also have to mention one very important tactic.

If a squad sticks together and doesn't go wandering off without telling the SL or having the SL send them, then when a squad mate gives coordinates to enemy you will know pretty much where they are because everyone is within a close area of each other.

I do however wish the BF2 engine highlighted the squad person on the map that just pointed out an enemy. That way the "Spotted Enemy" com rose selection would actually be useful. Squad Member #3 points out target with compass rose. Over VOIP they state enemy is NE at 35 degrees. Their map icon is highlighted temporarily showing who spotted the enemy. SL knows immediately the reference point and adjusts accordingly with Attack Icon.

If only...
                          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Very effective method i always use it, think i also 1st saw it in .5 when fuzzhead was doing some of the training, worked like a charm since
                            PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

The friendly marker will flash if they use the radio calls I think, sometimes you may spot this when driving away from someone who is asking for a pickup..

I prefer a squad that is split up but can still work together and get the benefit of crossfire, etc Just state a direction off the flag and anyone on the map can tell where that is, I only use bearings in a tank

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X