General tips for 0.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General tips for 0.7

Along with the medic self-healing tip, there may be other quirks of PR that all may not be aware off, especially the new players coming in to 0.7. I did a forum search and found a related thread from last year, here are the tips with changes for 0.7. Original thread by dys . Note: this is not a tactics discussion. It is just for those odd things about PR and workarounds for bugs etc that don't happen in other games. Some tips are in the manual but are useful reminders.

TIPS:
    1. It is sometimes impossible to revive a critically-wounded team mate if they are in a glitched position (sliding down a hill, hanging off a ladder etc), but sometimes...

2. If you zap someone and they don't pop right back up, throw a bandage at the body to make it move and zap again.

3. You can resupply field dressings and shock paddles

4. Medics can self-heal when standing and looking down, or lying prone and looking up, while activating the medic kit.

5. Static tanks can be eliminated easily by placing a mine at one end and c4 on the other

6. You can drop up to 8 mines. any more will despawn. If the engineer dies, the mines disappear after 10 minutes.

7. Crewman helmet is obscure, and makes falling in with enemies to knife easier.

8. You can zoom with tank/apc turret using default x. Driver can now zoom in ver 0.7 as well.

10. Tall grass is not cover at long range

11. If you really need to scale the impossible, try proning and side crawling upwards. slow, but effective in places.

12. Press c when in .50 cals to change views

13. When dispensing an ammo bag (or bandage) on a multi-level building, bounce it off a wall or it may fall through the floor.

14. You can replenish your ammo bag by lying next to it so you can dispense yet more bags later on.

15. When firing a Heavy AT, be aware that it's guidewire does not activate until after about 250-300m. So, if target <300m aim high to account for projectile drop, if target is >300m aim high but then gradually bring down the reticle to guide the missile onto target.

16. SLs can spot enemy by pressing the SOFLAM LMB to highlight the target on the team-mates' minimaps for 15 seconds. Using the T-key commo rose 'Targeting Laser Now' does not highlight the target, it only activates the ingame voice notification.

17. Set your minimap options to 100% transperancy to increase your in-game awareness. Set the minimap to a spare mouse button so you can toggle it quickly.

18. Use your commo-rose (default T) to call for a medic or ammo (as well as on VOIP) so that the medic/ammocarrier can see where you are on the minimap.

19. If you get the bug where you can't select your squad's RP, select another squad's RP and spawn (you will appear at your own squads RP).

20. To destroy a militia RP, you sometimes have to stab specific parts of the RP to destroy it. So try stabbing different parts of the RP (twice) if you're having difficulties destroying it.

21. Commanders can talk to individual squadleaders by entering the command screen, clicking on the squad, and holding 'B'. Using the 'V' key sends your voice to ALL squads.

22. When a CO asset is being deployed, make sure there are no team-mates in the way or they maybe crushed to death. Conversely, don't stand in front of a CO/SL deploying assets...

There is a PR manual!

Apologies for not referencing all tip providers.
    Please feel free to post any other tips you think other players may find useful.
    Last edited by Nero; 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM.

Re: General tips for 0.7

great list man!!! we should compile a massive list with all useful 'lesser' knowns tips like these

hell i didnt even know this one before, ill give it a try "11. If you really need to scale the impossible, try proning and side crawling upwards. slow, but effective in places."

Comment

I didn't know some of them, 11 and 20 especially. For the crewman helmet one, did you mean that crewnem from all sides/teams look the same?
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
        16. SLs can spot enemy by pressing the SOFLAM LMB to highlight the target on the team-mates' minimaps for 15 seconds. Using the T-key commo rose 'Targeting Laser Now' does not highlight the target, it only activates the ingame voice notification.

18. Use your commo-rose (default T) to call for a medic or ammo (as well as on VOIP) so that the medic/ammocarrier can see where you are on the minimap.

Usefull stuff, snipers can still spot vehicles and even people. Anyone in a vehicle in any position can do the same

Squad leaders should avoid placing rally points within 30m of a firebase or bunker. It can sometimes prevent anyone else on the team spawning there

Ladders and grappling hook lines count as vehicles, if you die in a vehicle your kit bag will not drop to the ground and you cannot be revived.

A mine placed will not detonate till 15 secs has past

Do not ever try and fire an RPG from inside a bunker window, it will always hit the wall in front of you.

Do not fire RPG when prone, crouched sometimes fails too if any cover is near

When commanding do not try and deploy assets in areas with a roof overhead, this includes short entrance ways.

When you deploy try to be standing at the same level/height as the asset position you are aiming to deploy.

Militia dont get or require a CO post to deploy assets

A CO post resupplys everything

The MEC sniper gun is working just fine

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
          ...For the crewman helmet one, did you mean that crewnem from all sides/teams look the same?
          That tip was from dys's original thread, it means that crewmen look similar on most sides so you can blend in easily. I don't find this tip that useful myself, but maybe if you feel like being a spy from team fortress 2 and infiltrate enemy lines to backstab people.

Comment

c4 has an arming time of 5 seconds (but you all knew that already)

Comment

12. Press c when in .50 cals to change views
              I didn't know that! Thanks.
              "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."

Comment

The APC's are no longer flaming piles of crap, (unless you compare them to a tank) don't be afraid to catch rides in them anymore or work with them.

I like to run APC squads on maps like Jabal and quinling 32, you know, maps without tanks. I rarely find infantry squads that want to catch rides and work with an apc squad to give each other mutual support. Back in .5 these things were useless other then mobile spawn points, but now they are excellent infantry support weapons.

Comment

Static MG emplacements still do not have iron sight zoom. So if you wonder why pressing C doesn't give you iron sights it's not a bug, it's just not in the game.

Pressing 'C' only works for vehicle mounted MG.

Advice for 3rd man MG mount on tanks position.

a. Always be an engineer as they are the only useful kit to a tank. Always be in the same squad as the tank crew so that VOIP works for all of you.

b. Repair the tank by laying prone on top and point down. In case the tank has to move in a hurry you won't be crushed or left behind and you can press 'E' quickly to get back in. A good tank driver will get out of the area before needing to be fixed. Repair is so slow now that getting out to fix the tank in the middle of a fight will not do much of anything and only serve in probably getting the engineer killed.

c. The most common position for the 3rd MG position is look backwards. Always look in the rear arc of the tank. The driver and gunner will take care of the front arc. You can look around but pay special attention to the rear arc. Since you are outside the tank you can hear sounds that the driver/gunner can not hear. If you spot a target or hear something coming up check your 'M' map and make certain it's not a friendly and then report it over VOIP to the driver/gunner.

d. When taking fire either from vehicles or hidden infantry do not remain in the normal position. Press the Crouch key and duck down. The tank crew can hear the bullets bouncing off the tank and will search for them while you are protected. If you know a general degree of fire then tell them that.
                  Note: I wish there was a Crouch key that you could press to stay crouched and not have to key pressing to remain crouched. For just this reason.

e. Always communicate with - Target then Degrees. ex: Enemy APC - 260 degrees. Further details can be given after that if it goes behind something or if it's traveling from right to left etc. State it clearly and in a solid voice. You need to make certain the tank crew hears you. If you have a bad accent or can't speak very well then type it quickly in Squad Chat.

f. There is such a thing as over spotting and this goes for all crews and squad members. If you see something moving determine if it's a friendly or enemy first by looking at the map. If you are worried that your team may fire on a friendly then state quickly "Friendly APC inbound" and leave it at that. Otherwise state Enemy Target, type and direction. You can say degrees if your SL is right beside you. Unless you are waiting around for something to happen, excess chatter and spotting can lead to confusion and leave your squad mates thinking you should just shut up.

That's my advice.
                  "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                  "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

- You get more torque from vehicles while going in reverse.

- When deploying CO assets run BACKWARDS, not forwards. If you run forwards in an attempt to not get crushed you will usually end up like the Wicked Witch.

- If you have a hard time seeing your HUD in a jet or a helicopter due to the sky, put your minimap at around 85% transparency and leave it up. It will make it much easier to see, especially on Quiling.

- If you feel yourself tipping in a CO truck let go of your keyboard. Attempting to correct it will usually flip the truck, but if you let go it usually rights itself.

- While most tall grass and logs are not rendered at range, many of the PR implemented bushes in the new maps such as Quiling are. Feel free to hide behind them, the enemy won't see you (hopefully).

- If you need to jump off a building or cliff go off prone, you'll take less damage.

- I have a 5-button mouse. Besides the usual left button fire and right button zoom I have the left side button for voip, right side button for map zoom, and the middle scroll button for the map. Even if you don't have the side buttons the middle button/map is ideal for quick glances without fumbling with your keyboard.

- Create teamspeak channel binds on your numpad. Don't use a single key per channel in case you hit it accidentally or you're using your numpad. I use 0 + 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on which channel I want to be in.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                      c. The most common position for the 3rd MG position is look backwards. Always look in the rear arc of the tank. The driver and gunner will take care of the front arc. You can look around but pay special attention to the rear arc. Since you are outside the tank you can hear sounds that the driver/gunner can not hear. If you spot a target or hear something coming up check your 'M' map and make certain it's not a friendly and then report it over VOIP to the driver/gunner.
                      Won’t that block the drivers view?, the top hatch is directly in front of the camera.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
                        Won’t that block the drivers view?, the top hatch is directly in front of the camera.
                        I believe only in one of the tanks does this happen. I want to say the Chinese tank. The rest I do not believe block the driver view. Absolutely a design flaw on the Chinese tank. Seriously who would put a hatch that close to any sort of viewing equipment???

The viewing arc is so screwed up between vehicles honestly. In the Humvee as a driver you can view 270 degrees around you. Anyone in the back can only do 90 degrees. Same in Command Support vehicles. The people in the back are stuck at 90 degrees which is extremely annoying when under fire or when you want to take out that chopper that's following you. The British APC has a 270 degree arc while the US, MEC and Chinese have only 180 degree arc of view for the driver. Of course the British APC has slow as crap gun while the rest are much faster. The British one also travels at a much higher rate of speed than the wheeled APCs. I just think the British like to be different. Oh and the Challenger I find takes 3 tank hits before being destroyed while the MEC one can be destroyed in 2 or even 1 sometimes. US main tank usually takes 2 and the Chinese takes 2.
                        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post

Advice for 3rd man MG mount on tanks position.

b. Repair the tank by laying prone on top and point down. In case the tank has to move in a hurry you won't be crushed or left behind and you can press 'E' quickly to get back in. A good tank driver will get out of the area before needing to be fixed. Repair is so slow now that getting out to fix the tank in the middle of a fight will not do much of anything and only serve in probably getting the engineer killed.

That's my advice.
                          Good tip! I didn't know you could do that. My usual wrenching position is prone at the side of the tank once the driver has moved it out of enemy LOS/LOF into dead ground.

I've seen all the tanks slide downhill very slowly in 0.7 when parked on a slope, so being between the tank and the bottom of the slope is a bad idea.

Comment

Whats really funny is when the tanks slide UPHILL.

-Tip from your friendly neighborhood medic: when you get revived, MOVE. If you stay where I just zapped you, I wont be staying there to heal you and have no sympathy about letting you die. Plus, you just got shot there, chances are, if you dont move, youre going to get shot there again.

Comment

On the subject of Medic tips, I just like to remind people I'm healing to face towards THE ENEMY and not towards me.

And please don't give away our position to distant enemies while I'm healing you by firing at them. 9 times out of 10 they'll shout out a contact report and we'll have a load of incoming fire deal with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X