Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locked squads, a new plague to tactical gaming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked squads, a new plague to tactical gaming?

First, letís just agree on the context: I am not talking about the locked squads who have already 5-6 members.
    In the past there were only a few locked non full locked squads like, air support, wambushers and stuff.
    The problem comes from the faqs that we often see the messages the squad limits number have been reached. It used to not be a problem but lately I have seen it posted more then ever.
    If you enter the server and the squad make up look like this
    Sniper squad 2 member locked
    Tank 1 3 members locked
    Wambusher 3 members locked
    Private squad 3 members locked
    Tank 2 3 member locked
    Infantry squad 6 members locked
    Infantry squad 6 members
    Air transport squad 3 members locked

You now have 29 players on side but the thing is for the two next players who enter the server just canít create a team or join a team, so what do I usually do in my case I switch side and try to find a team on the other side, unfortunately it may make the team uneven but who cares. It happened to me only one time, I went to the other side but unfortunately all the squad were full to so I just alt-f4 and went to play crysis :P.
    I observed that when we have a high number of clustered little locked squad like this we usually loose terribly.
    So I wonder is there any benefit or rules over these kinds of problems who is in my point of view affecting the quality of playing on tg server who usually stand for higher quality game play.
    This is my opinion feel free to tell yours.

Re: Locked squads, a new plague to tactical gaming?

Theres a simple solution, talk to the CO or admins.
    -If you have two separate 3 man tank squads, have them consolidate the squads or open up.
    -If the maximum number of squads has been reached and there are locked squads, they HAVE to open up to allow other people to join. If they refuse, alert an admin.
    -Locked squads are only allowed for specialization if you have cleared it with the CO. This means that if you have a two man sniper squad and the CO tells you to open the squad or retask, you have to comply.

Please guys, if you see crap like this going on, let someone know. We dont want to be losing good people because others are too greedy to open up squads.

Comment

So you would rather have the sniper in a 6 man inf squad? Within 10 minutes I almost gurentee you that the sniper would lose the weapon to the enemy. Snipers are an asset.

Tanks operate best with less chatter. Yes, there are 9 or so tanks on Kashan desert...but 2 tanks with full crews working together via teamspeak or just in game chat can take on anything that the other team throws at them. 6 people all talking and giving status updates at once is very hard to do effectively.

An infantry squad that is locked at 6 is usually an easy spot reservation. For example... I get in game, Nardini's squad is full. I ask him over TS "Hey if you get a spot open let me know." He locks the squad, someone leaves 25 mins later, I join the squad. Furthermore, it can be verrrry hard to get new players in your squad up to speed with the rest of the squad. So it's better to have tight 5 man squad that works well with one another than an extra person who's constantly asking "what are we doing?"

In house squads like the 6th do play with everyone. But we pay, and joined the 6th to play with each other. I invite 6th, then I open it. Whoever gets in gets in. Some nights we don't even play with eachother. We all have our own sepperate squads.

Also, as ferris said, what you're describing is rediculous, but don't blame the makers of locked squads.
      Skud

Comment

Certain squads should be limited, such as 3-man locked squads for tanks, to force that fourth player that would have joined and had no beneficial role to go join an infantry squad. The problem the server is having lately is an increased number of specialized squads: sniper, recon, demo, etc. While they certianly have their place, the team is more prone to suffer when we have 20/32 players trying to accomplish tasks other than capping flags. The commander has to be aware of this and keep these squads organized...and members of these specialized groups need to have great situational awareness and know when it is time to snipe, and when it is time to pull out a pistol and get into a flag radius.
        For those of you that like to play in these spec-ops squads, please use good judgement when inviting players to your squad. We should not be seeing 4-man sniper squads, or 6 man CO-assist squads...there just aren't enough people per team for this. Can't imagine a game like this with 128 players!

On the bright side, I think admins have been doing a great job lately of monitoring this. Just yesterday Dirtboy pulled 3 squads together that were all <2 members. If you guys see such chaos going on in the server, please join team-speak and get an admin's attention, and I'm sure green text will fly with warnings of server kicks if squads do not merge. :)
        |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Yup i always ask for authorization when creating the Wambusher Squad. The only reason im only having 3 people including myself is because most of the COs told me to, as i can understand that i wouldnt want to drag more than 3 good people away from what is the backbone of the round; infantry. Sometimes i lock the Air Squads to create to the number of Aircraft that we are specialized in, most of the time i invite spotters but no more than 2. We try to limit the people in the dedicated squads like this because we dont need too much Voip flood communication or the fact that we dont need anyone that isn't going to dedicated in what the squad does. You have to understand the confusing of a dedicated squad with too many members talking at once and giving targets or such ( CO giving information as well ). Personally, I can't handle or control a squad with more than 4 or 5 members, maybe because im a bad squadleader or a confused one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
            Tanks operate best with less chatter. Yes, there are 9 or so tanks on Kashan desert...but 2 tanks with full crews working together via teamspeak or just in game chat can take on anything that the other team throws at them. 6 people all talking and giving status updates at once is very hard to do effectively.
            There's a simple solution to this, mute anyone in your squad who you don't need to hear so there's no reason the tanks have to be in 2 seperate squads.

Comment

The logistics behind how many people are needed to play out what role in a locked squad is fine and well...but the problem being described here is joining the server to find every squad locked and not every squad full while not being able to create a squad yourself due to the fact that the max number of squads has been reached. This leaves a player with 2 options. Switch teams or leave because ultimately, the 90 second squad join timer is going to give you the boot.

This is very frustrating, and I've seen it a couple times myself. I failed to bring it up to an admin until much later. But I did make several attempts at using team and general chat to ask for invites to a squad which all fell on deaf ears. So I just left.
              | | |

Comment

Get on the TG Pub TS server, its a great way to meet people etc, and to ask to see if someone is starting a armor or spec ops or pilot squad and ask for an invite. And If you are new at it, you can always practice on the local server etc.

Disposable and Dirtboy have taught me a whole heck of a lot about being a SL and most of it comes from being in their squads and being on TS and asking for tips and suggestions.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Ok let me clarify some stuff again. I am not aiming the squads that are using or working under the co , neither those who are almost full. Like Ferris said the problem come also from the faq we often have too much specialized squad over the number of regular squad, it doesn't only happen when we have a low ratio of player, we also had a lack of co these past week , so no one is really enforcing anything. Also like atomic said, even if you ask in the chat usually nothing happen, because no one is really doing anything wrong , because everyone is running a specialized squad and the normal squad are full. 90 second is damn short to join teamspeak whine then join a squad if one unlock itself.

The main question is , should there be a limit to those specialized squad ?

Comment

lack of CO - if theres no room, then the CO seat s a spot avaliable for you right there! Take the seat, then tell those 'speciality' squads that arent being particularly useful to open the squad and reformat to INF.

What I see as a bigger problem is CO's that is not confident, knowledgeable or just unwilling to consolidate the team.

And whats even worse, is squads named "Sniper" with 6 players in the squad, the squad leader is a sniper (no rallypoint) and all of them scattered across the map. I would much rather see the sniper squad locked at 2, then open at 6, thus hurting the team efforts even more!

Also I hate seeing 3 different "BLACKHAWK" or whatever squads, all which have more players in the squad than there are actual transport helicopters on a map!

I think what TG needs is more CO's to step up, and more squad leaders to realize that you need a core group of infantry to have a good team.

I will create a tank squad if I see that position needs filling, but if there is already a tank squad made and no infantry squads, Ill jump into that role as I can do either prety well. I think it just takes a few sec to see the squad names created, and see what role needs to be filled. Obviously sometimes your just not gonna be in the mood for a certain role, but its something to consider when creating a squad.

Comment

I think another problem is the entitlement some TG players / vets seem to have in ignoring this rule, including several people who have posted in this thread. In all honesty, the majority of locked squads I see are by TGs and vets - and Im not talking about specialty squads.
                      sigpic

Comment

What is this plague of which you speak? This has been pretty much the norm for the last few months. While you think your squad is tight just as it is, there is always someone (maybe even a noob) who has to suffer through a round with no squad, and start his own. Often w/ no experience.

in conclusion, lets end the precedent of locking for our friends (save for some situations namely air,spec ops,sniping) because everyone wants to have fun.

Comment

May I post as a reminder that only under special circumstances are Irregulars supposed to have locked squads.

Just throwing it out there.
                          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                            Thoughts on CO here.
                            I have to tell you, I attempt to command as often as I can, but it is far too stressful for the average shooter player. I must say that commanding for me, as well as most of the server players I find, makes the game unplayable.

And that assumes it all goes off without a hitch. I cannot count with theoretically large numbers how much crap I get from the non-TG SL's, (even some of you regulars could stand to get a temper ;) ) on everything. I can name 6 rounds off the top of my head where 7/9 squad leaders were yelling at me for not giving THEM the requested support. (The two left being the CAS and the squad that got it.)

Then there are the really bad rounds. The ones where admins are not around, people yell for a commander. Then promptly ignore all orders, requests, begging, and fetal-position-please-just-make-it-stop groveling for some sort of order, then viciously insult and ridicule me the next round (regardless of my CO or not CO status)

----------------------------------------------------------
                            ON TOPIC: I don't know why, but my TG-Irr Squads draws in the lone wolves. Any time where I have left my Irr unlocked (not exaggerating [sp?] here, if only I was) EVERY GAME it has been filled with people pursuing their own objectives. I even tried naming it "INFVOIP" several times and those were the worst. People ask how I can live with only 2-4 people in a squad and get away with it, and I ask them, how do they NOT live with it.

(Side note, kicking them from the server never seems to deter them. The names change, but the "lol, this sl wont do anything if i lone wolf" idea persists.)

Comment

Originally posted by TeflonDon View Post
                              I think another problem is the entitlement some TG players / vets seem to have in ignoring this rule, including several people who have posted in this thread. In all honesty, the majority of locked squads I see are by TGs and vets - and Im not talking about specialty squads.
                              But doesn't if feel sooooo much better now to get invited to a locked squad!?! Gotta feel better than when we were in 5th grade and everyone was picking teams saying...hmmm...2 left...Don and fat-fatty Susan...let's take Susan!
                              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X