Location location.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location location.

With the current changes brought to PR with .7 patch the game has a new feel to it, at least in terms of how i feel when i play it.

Specifically there seems to be a large change in the communication aspects, with an increasing need for clarity and focus to understand where the enemy is. This short post will explore some issues which i have noticed with .7 and some suggestions i have for resolving the, or at least allowing them to evolve.

The removal of the mini-map.
    Removing the mini-map and the question-mark spot ability has changed the game significantly.
    In the past one could "blind spot" Where enemy were by throwing a spot over where they think they might be. This would either put the question mark on the mini-map or identify a target and place it on the map. It was quite useful, but still cheap in a sense. I think that the mini-map allowed the game to take place at a much quicker pace, flanking was harder and rushing was more devastating because you knew almost exactly where things were.

Now that it has been removed, save for vehicles (which is a whole new aspect as well), the game has slowed down a lot, hiding is much much easier, which opens up a whole new tactical domain. But i'm not here to give tactics, i just want to say that i feel there are some key elements which effect how we play. The Voip is the first key element, the second is what we say over Voip, the third is the format in which we say this. When considering all these elements you can see that they create the base structure for any type of tactical based verbal communication.

A quick example is within the two following situations.

In the first, some troops are spotted.
    Squad member "i just saw a whole squad of guys over there"
    Squad leader "where"
    Squad member "over there, north"
    (squad leader and squad member happen to be in differnt places, so the directions do not match up exactly)
    Squad leader, "okay lets kill them"

In the second, some troops are spotted.
    Squad Member, "Enemy squad spotted, heading 255 my position, 300 meters out."
    Squad Leader, -to commander, (after checking the map for his members position he gives the commander a rough location of the enemy squad)
    "enemy squad at foxtrot 5, numpad 2".

And with that i get to the thing, which is the map and the squad leader commands.
    I think that with the removal of the minimap there should be some up-dates to the main map, (the caps lock map) such as the ability for squad leaders to place multiple markers, or way points, the map should be broken up into a finer grid as well, ability to send indiviudal orders to squad members... if this was done i think a lot of new opportunities would become available through the change brought about by the removal of the mini-map.

Ah and one more thing..

vehicles.

People can use vehicles now like a scout. As far as i am concerned, a dude in a jeep who just sits and observers from a slight distance and spots troops like a .6 entity for the team with the mini-map, is a valuable asset.
    listen close
    to the rat-tat-tat-
    as the metal flies,
    we should know as fact:
    that unearthly demons
    are part of our pack,
    and as we engage you
    in battle we pass.

Re: Location location.

I like to see the jeep used to patrol and scout out intel that way. It should be used to cover and control alot of ground quickly, searching out RP, etc
    1 squad can control an entire flag with efforts like this and in theory controlling 1 flag can turn the whole game :)

We have discussed locating problems in other threads though. Spot targets based on their position around the flag and use the grid split into positions relative to your keypad on your keyboard. G11 is bottom left of G1

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

ALl it takes is familirzation with the headings. North is north, no matter where you are, and such it is with the headings. The compass is broken up into 8 positions, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. Each of these is 45 degrees of the compass, so if you memorize that information you could relay to another squad the position of enemy.. perhaps?
      listen close
      to the rat-tat-tat-
      as the metal flies,
      we should know as fact:
      that unearthly demons
      are part of our pack,
      and as we engage you
      in battle we pass.

Comment

Originally posted by billyinorganic View Post
        ALl it takes is familirzation with the headings. North is north, no matter where you are, and such it is with the headings. The compass is broken up into 8 positions, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. Each of these is 45 degrees of the compass, so if you memorize that information you could relay to another squad the position of enemy.. perhaps?
        North to you would be Northeast to someone 100 meters to your left. It would still be many degrees off to a squad member 15 meters away.

This has all been discussed, with diagrams, in the other threads.
        |TG-6th|Belhade
        "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X