"Tricking" people in to squad leading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tricking" people in to squad leading

Now this is something I've noticed a few times too many, it always happens when there's 4 or 5 unassigned people left on the server and nobody willing to lead, and I'm not sure it's covered by the rules.

Basically what they do is that they make a squad and then when someone joins their squad, they leave and rejoin the squad -- making the guy who just joined inherit the SL position. I have no idea what the idea behind this clever little trickery is, but it is extremely annoying.

So what I'm trying to say is: if you make a squad, please, please, for the love of spaghetti monster, stay SL and lead it. Nobody else is a better squad leader, and they won't be more willing to lead just because you trick them into being SL. :P
    Last edited by Thyreus; 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM.
    snǝɹʎɥ⊥

Re: "Tricking" people in to squad leading

you forgot to mention it's really important to call your squad voip to make it work

Comment

The other solution is to man up and SL yourself. :)

Comment

I think the problem is that some don't feel they have the experience or know how to lead a squad so are afraid to start one end end up its squad leader. I feel that way.

Foolish thing is though , that if you do create a squad , it's hard to find members who won't go out of their way to help you if you explain you really don't know what your doing and are willing to listen and learn.

If you really want to play alone , name your squad "N00bs R Us" . Works every time :D
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
          If you really want to play alone , name your squad "N00bs R Us" . Works every time :D
          Out of experience, people who are new to the game prefer being called Newbies rather than Noobs. I certainly do.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I can see where being a new player to the TG server can be daunting to create a squad and be a SL, when TG's standards are held in high regard than most other servers, however if you don't try to be an SL, even if its your first time, you never will know if you are good or not. My only advice is if you make a squad, and if people join, to first say...this is my first time being a SL has anyone else in this squad have more experience and or want to lead, or do you have any tips for me? and be patient with me since it is my first time or my second etc.

Its one thing for a new player to create a squad, have people join and leave, and join again, because they don't want to be an SL, sometimes I can understand that...it's another for a player to join a squad, grab a kit i.e. a sniper kit (cminnow or however u spell it does this all the time, don't mean to call him out, but he did it yesterday and then was commander on qwai as a sniper, before relinquishing command) and leave the squad to make a new one. The latter is something that doesn't not generate sympathy.

When I started playing on the TG server which was a few months ago, I tried to always join up with the regulars, and that first month or so, I was lost, and found myself always catching up to the SL and squad members, and its frustrating, but...you try it, and yes I was a SL a few times and had no clue what to do, but you try it and you talk, and you get acquainted with everyone etc. Its a whole new experience, and the next time something like that happens and the SL who leaves and comes back say's i'm new and just want to learn, let him learn and suggest that the next round or maybe an hour into the round suggest that he take the lead, and see what he has been observing can be put into the round. It's about teamplay and teamwork that make the tactics at TG all get put into place.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I don't mind becoming the SL when the starting one drops out if there's a Commander on deck.

Not being particularly tactical and being very quiet on the mic due to the rest of the household being asleep when I get online, I normally shy away from SL'ing.

Comment

Guys, being a SL isnt hard work and nobody should shy away from it. The hardest part is maintaining a heightened sense of battlefield awareness. I can turn any of you into a competent (dont read this as professional) SL in no time with these few tips:
                • Orders: You're in COMMAND of your squad. This doesnt mean you say "ferris, could you please get a support gun and help us out?" You give an order, your squaddies follow. Dont be mean, but be even-handed. Something along the lines of "Ferris, grab a support gun and double-time it over here."
                • Kits: ASSIGN KITS. This is really easy. All you have to do is think about your experiences as a squaddie. What kits did your squad have that worked well? Some basic things: always make sure you have a medic and one person with ammo. Unless you have a specific mission goal that requires them, tell your guys NOT to get specialty kits. A six man squad doesnt need a sniper.
                • Positioning: Think reverse in every situation. When you deploy a squad to attack a flag, think about where you would have them on defense and send them in a different way. On defense, think about where you would attack from and deploy your guys to intercept those angles.
                • Comms: Talk to your squad a lot. A good SL doesnt just tell his squad what to do, but also compliments them on good work and reassures them when things go south. You keep your squad pumped, they'll perform better. On the flip side, if people are noisy, dont hesitate to tell them to shut their trap.
                • Discipline: The level of discipline you want in your squad is up to you. My squads are generally pretty loose, but I have ground rules that everyone who squads with me knows. When I say move, you move. When I give an order, you follow. When I say no kits, I MEAN no kits. Break those and you get the boot. Those basic rules are great for people just starting out SLing. Dont be afraid to boot people out of your squad (if you dont know how, open the squad screen, click manage squad, check the person's name in your squad and click accept). Having a squad of 5 that does what you ask is infinitely better than having a squad of 6 with one guy taking a sniper kit and going rambo.

Thats it guys, it's really that simple. Give orders and follow orders, think smart and work with your team and you'll have no problem being a squad leader. It's not some big scary monster thats going to eat you for breakfast- that's commanding. Just relax, and do what your favorite squad leader would do. Theres no greater flattery than imitation, and theres no better way to learn a role either!

Comment

I don't think what the OP is describing is bad at all. Too many times, people wait for someone to make a squad. There are some regular players that I have never seen SL a full 6 man infantry squad. It is not scary or difficult, it is a game. Heck I took up commanding in .7 about a week ago, and though stressful, it does teach you a lot.
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    Guys, being a SL isnt hard work and nobody should shy away from it. The hardest part is maintaining a heightened sense of battlefield awareness. I can turn any of you into a competent (dont read this as professional) SL in no time with these few tips:
                    • Orders: You're in COMMAND of your squad. This doesnt mean you say "ferris, could you please get a support gun and help us out?" You give an order, your squaddies follow. Dont be mean, but be even-handed. Something along the lines of "Ferris, grab a support gun and double-time it over here."
                    • Kits: ASSIGN KITS. This is really easy. All you have to do is think about your experiences as a squaddie. What kits did your squad have that worked well? Some basic things: always make sure you have a medic and one person with ammo. Unless you have a specific mission goal that requires them, tell your guys NOT to get specialty kits. A six man squad doesnt need a sniper.
                    • Positioning: Think reverse in every situation. When you deploy a squad to attack a flag, think about where you would have them on defense and send them in a different way. On defense, think about where you would attack from and deploy your guys to intercept those angles.
                    • Comms: Talk to your squad a lot. A good SL doesnt just tell his squad what to do, but also compliments them on good work and reassures them when things go south. You keep your squad pumped, they'll perform better. On the flip side, if people are noisy, dont hesitate to tell them to shut their trap.
                    • Discipline: The level of discipline you want in your squad is up to you. My squads are generally pretty loose, but I have ground rules that everyone who squads with me knows. When I say move, you move. When I give an order, you follow. When I say no kits, I MEAN no kits. Break those and you get the boot. Those basic rules are great for people just starting out SLing. Dont be afraid to boot people out of your squad (if you dont know how, open the squad screen, click manage squad, check the person's name in your squad and click accept). Having a squad of 5 that does what you ask is infinitely better than having a squad of 6 with one guy taking a sniper kit and going rambo.

Thats it guys, it's really that simple. Give orders and follow orders, think smart and work with your team and you'll have no problem being a squad leader. It's not some big scary monster thats going to eat you for breakfast- that's commanding. Just relax, and do what your favorite squad leader would do. Theres no greater flattery than imitation, and theres no better way to learn a role either!
                    i was trying to interpret what ferris said perfectly...
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Yeah sure, but if I'd want to SL I'd make my own squad, so I don't need someone to make one for me. :P
                      snǝɹʎɥ⊥

Comment

I hate to say it, but i kind of do this, because im horrible at squad leading.
                        I dont create squads for this purpose, but when i join one and this happens to me, i leave and join again. Sometimes if this dosent work, i will squad lead a squad that dosent need leading. Ex: Engineers, i just tell them what needs repairs

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                        Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

Maybe do the same as I do: Create apc, tank, helo, air squad, etc...

Usually I don't create Inf squads on huge maps such as Kashan(32,64), Quinling(64). Why? simple: is very, very hard and stressful to lead over those maps, not to mention when people disconnect and new guys join(mic check, assign kits, fireteams, etc...same stuff again and again).

So the conclusion is to create specialized squads(same that I mentioned before).
                          Example: 3mantank, tank 1, apc 1, apc crew, etc... only 2-3 guys in squad, you have to worry about 2 people only, easier huh? I really enjoy to roll around with my tank, and to laugh so bad when I shoot at infantry with HE rounds, watching their bodies flying, hihihi.
                          Oh! I almost forget, If you get taken out you have (in most of cases) 20 mins to do whatever you want( eat, drink, call your fiancee, watch tv, etc..)
                          Remember 1 thing, there are allways, at least, apcs on 64-player maps(except for Hills of Hamyong, or whatever it's called, but cares about that map, it sucks).

The facts mentioned before are not true when PW night is up ;)

Comment

I think its even simpler then that. Set the attack or move marker regularly and ask people to leave if they dont wish to follow it.

No more patience, communication or discipline is required then that, no need to do anything more unless its actually helpful or enjoyable to you.

Also sometimes the CO will ask you to do something, ie. he'll set the attack marker

The real problem to me is whining squad members which leads back to why nobody wanted to be the SL. If you are that anxious about a RP or whatever then you start your own squad and show them how its done.
                            "Guys this sl/sob is busy doing something else, I'll start a new squad so please join" Then 2 people join hopefully and your good to go

On most maps I'd rather see 9 semi organised squads (working as a team) then 5 perfectly run ones. Anyone at all can be a sl with little effort

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by squadexodus View Post
                              I hate to say it, but i kind of do this, because im horrible at squad leading.
                              I dont create squads for this purpose, but when i join one and this happens to me, i leave and join again. Sometimes if this dosent work, i will squad lead a squad that dosent need leading. Ex: Engineers, i just tell them what needs repairs
                              Ah, well that's another story. It's not your fault if the original leader leaves.

I mean, it's good if someone takes over the SL after one leaves, but not everyone is comfortable with leading people, and the expectations that come with it.
                              snǝɹʎɥ⊥

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X