Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desert map theory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Desert map theory

    Ive developed a theory that a desert map either brings out the best, or the worst in you.
    For example, on the al khufra oil feilds, we were doing fine. Untill the british managed to save most of their tanks, and started owning us legitimatitly. We proceded to give up, and started throwing smoke, strapping c4 to our tank for suicide runs, and overall mahem.
    On the opposite side, i think the british worked in perfect harmony. Any one have support for this theory?

    I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
    Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

  • #2
    Re: Desert map theory

    Yup just played a round of Kufrah, it was one organized tank squad against at least 4 organized Brit tanks, we eventually fell after about 45 minutes. After that our main looked like the Italian flag with all the red, white, and green smoke...
    Tanks rule on that map and will make or break a team, hands down.
    Having a commander starting out will do wonders, that was our main problem.

    I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Desert map theory

      Makes or breaks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Desert map theory

        This was yesterday, right? When the Brits pretty much took the MEC-main by storm, smoke everywhere and vehicles running around inside the MEC-main, running people over instead of shooting at them?

        I think that what is important on desert maps, due to the long ranges, is that the team is properly spread out and cooperating. It takes too long to bring over reinforcements to the different flags, so things have to be done right from the start. If too many squads focus on one flag, which tend to happen of Kuhfra, the other side will take advantage of that. I was in a squad yesterday (perhaps the same round as referred too) in which we as an mechanized infantry squad (4 infantry + 1 APC) defended refinery against three waves of infantry attacks --> Moved out east towards Processing, which we found basically undefended and capped after mopping up, and then on to MEC-main and along with the rest of the team creatingn a blood-bath. What made the MEC-team fail here was that their "Western-flank" was too weak, hence allowing armour and mechanized infantry to break trough with relative ease.
        sigpic
        The Royal Lifeguards

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Desert map theory

          al khufra oil feilds is all about obtaining the last tank standing. The problem lies with the long tank respawn compared to Kashan. The lack of transport for the infrantry means that the team without tanks can be repulsed from any of the flags.

          I have found that if you lose all your tanks, a good strategy is to immediately form a tank killing squad with whatever transport you can manage to deploy your men behind the enemy tanks. If you can eliminate their tanks you level the playing field.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Desert map theory

            Tank > HAT on Al Kufrah. A smart tanker will stay on the edge of the map and make sure he has all sides covered. I think I've only ever been HAT'd once or twice on that map.
            Before the effect one believes in different causes than one does after the effect.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Desert map theory

              Rat bastard and ollie_fool led the two british tank squads on that map, I coordinated between rat's squad and our own on teamspeak to keep us working in unison. We were quickly able to locate and engage the enemy armour which had divided up across the map, with rat's squad holding on the western ridge while we headed around the east and surprised the two T-90's (Nardini's squad?) which were focused on hitting our infantry there. Excellent commanding by Vlexo and some good, quick assaults on the central CP's by the infantry rounded off one of the shortest games of Kufrah I've ever played.

              Conversely, I had the misfortune to command on Kashan. I spent the first twenty minutes trying to establish which squads got what air assets (we had four different squads for the jets and littlebird at one point) rather than command, which irritated me rather a lot. It didn't help that rat went afk halfway through the map and some idiot stole and crashed the a-10, leaving me with a jet squad full of grounded pilots and the two F-16's in the wrong squads who either couldn't switch because rat wasn't there to invite them or they flatly refused to leave their current squads. I left when we were about 70 tickets up, which means the other team were as disorganised as we were I guess, I don't know how the round ended.
              | |



              'Forward, the Light Brigade!
              Charge for the guns' he said:
              Into the valley of Death
                Rode the six hundred.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Desert map theory

                Originally posted by NerdyDodge View Post
                Rat bastard and ollie_fool led the two british tank squads on that map, I coordinated between rat's squad and our own on teamspeak to keep us working in unison. We were quickly able to locate and engage the enemy armour which had divided up across the map, with rat's squad holding on the western ridge while we headed around the east and surprised the two T-90's (Nardini's squad?) which were focused on hitting our infantry there. Excellent commanding by Vlexo and some good, quick assaults on the central CP's by the infantry rounded off one of the shortest games of Kufrah I've ever played.

                Conversely, I had the misfortune to command on Kashan. I spent the first twenty minutes trying to establish which squads got what air assets (we had four different squads for the jets and littlebird at one point) rather than command, which irritated me rather a lot. It didn't help that rat went afk halfway through the map and some idiot stole and crashed the a-10, leaving me with a jet squad full of grounded pilots and the two F-16's in the wrong squads who either couldn't switch because rat wasn't there to invite them or they flatly refused to leave their current squads. I left when we were about 70 tickets up, which means the other team were as disorganised as we were I guess, I don't know how the round ended.

                I only wish they would give the USMC side al kufrah like they do with kashan, i'd willingly trade that for the brits to be the opposition in Qwai. and or possibly ejod.

                I still can't get over how many people on a air map, just love to fly.....it really is amazing, if i am commanding and see more than 3 pilot squads, i will make sure, to tell the 1 or more pilot squads that i don't feel comfortable with their flying capability to change their name and or abandon the thought of flying....and as a commander you do have that right to do, and i've had to do it, but...sometimes its necessary.

                From my experience from watching other commanders i have realized than when on the USMC side, the village flag that the US captures first is not important enough to bulid a bunker....getting to the bunkers quick is important as well as coordinated tank squads with AA support and coordinated pilots with a spotter on the ground (pref. having the SL spot). i can't go into more detail bc i am still formulating the perfect way to command kashan, and don't want to give away all my idea...but when in doubt when you command ask for suggestions, a commander is supposed to have a good firm grasp on the situation, but...it is ok to ask for suggestions.

                Remember that the T-90's if used properly have an advantage, for some reason their armor/maybe how they are built can be used more offensively especially if their hind side is protected. The russians def had the right Idea when they designed them.

                I prefer to have one pilot squad in kashan 64, and one transport heli squad. it makes everything easier, plus when done the right way, u have the fighters covering the bombers...and when it is done right.....its beautiful (as witnessed by SL Caffeine a few weeks back).

                AL Kufrah I am still confused about....i have seen maps where the brits are on the offensive the whole time then lose that offensive and succumb to the MEC side, and vice versa. but as stated in the above posts, one team capping a flag at a time does not work. Because of the size of the map, gives so many places for tanks to obliterate invading forces. and the low level sand areas, are death traps.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

                sigpic




                Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Desert map theory

                  Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                  AL Kufrah I am still confused about....i have seen maps where the brits are on the offensive the whole time then lose that offensive and succumb to the MEC side, and vice versa.
                  I've seen that exact thing happen a thousand times. As soon as a Brit squad steps foot inside refinery, the whole damn team rushes to MEC main to get in on the baserape. While that's going on, a single MEC squad gets past the onslaught in a vodink and nobody worries about them. A few minutes later, production falls, followed by storage. By that time the Brits are so committed to killing everything that moves inside MEC main that they can't fall back quickly enough to do anything about it. It all comes down to lack of discipline on defense. For the Brits, that last jump to refinery has to be carefully orchestrated. Refinery has to be well fortified before production and storage are left deserted. Even if just a skeleton crew is left behind at those two flags, they should hopefully be enough to repel a last-ditch effort attack from the MEC. If not, they can at least give the CO a heads-up on what is going on.

                  |
                  |

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Desert map theory

                    Originally posted by A_Grounded_Pilot View Post
                    I've seen that exact thing happen a thousand times. As soon as a Brit squad steps foot inside refinery, the whole damn team rushes to MEC main to get in on the baserape. While that's going on, a single MEC squad gets past the onslaught in a vodink and nobody worries about them. A few minutes later, production falls, followed by storage. By that time the Brits are so committed to killing everything that moves inside MEC main that they can't fall back quickly enough to do anything about it. It all comes down to lack of discipline on defense. For the Brits, that last jump to refinery has to be carefully orchestrated. Refinery has to be well fortified before production and storage are left deserted. Even if just a skeleton crew is left behind at those two flags, they should hopefully be enough to repel a last-ditch effort attack from the MEC. If not, they can at least give the CO a heads-up on what is going on.
                    right on....its as if people think they are going to miss out on something....Defense is so important in PR, it really is under appreciated....everyone wants to be that first person to be at the MEC main, or South village, or fishing village, or production facility (if ur on the chinese side), or temple/lower city, etc....

                    Defense is soo crucial...and yes it can be boring, but thats how battles are one, you can't have an good offense without a supporting defense, it doesn't work, just like you can't expect to attack and take russia in the dead of winter, it won't happen....just look at napoleon and hitlers armies...they were crushed and they still haven't found some of the bodies from both those attempts.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

                    sigpic




                    Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Desert map theory

                      Nah that wasn't us. We knew we were outnumbered so we stayed to the south of facility (just north of our main) the entire time. We surprised two tanks at the beginning, but after that we just couldn't take on the onslaught of tanks you were throwing at us...

                      Originally posted by NerdyDodge View Post
                      Rat bastard and ollie_fool led the two british tank squads on that map, I coordinated between rat's squad and our own on teamspeak to keep us working in unison. We were quickly able to locate and engage the enemy armour which had divided up across the map, with rat's squad holding on the western ridge while we headed around the east and surprised the two T-90's (Nardini's squad?) which were focused on hitting our infantry there. Excellent commanding by Vlexo and some good, quick assaults on the central CP's by the infantry rounded off one of the shortest games of Kufrah I've ever played.

                      Conversely, I had the misfortune to command on Kashan. I spent the first twenty minutes trying to establish which squads got what air assets (we had four different squads for the jets and littlebird at one point) rather than command, which irritated me rather a lot. It didn't help that rat went afk halfway through the map and some idiot stole and crashed the a-10, leaving me with a jet squad full of grounded pilots and the two F-16's in the wrong squads who either couldn't switch because rat wasn't there to invite them or they flatly refused to leave their current squads. I left when we were about 70 tickets up, which means the other team were as disorganised as we were I guess, I don't know how the round ended.

                      I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Desert map theory

                        Oh, rat had the unfortunate job of keeping you bottled in there, while we went round to deal with the rest of your team.
                        | |



                        'Forward, the Light Brigade!
                        Charge for the guns' he said:
                        Into the valley of Death
                          Rode the six hundred.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Desert map theory

                          That round on AL kufrah was probly one of the best ive played, followed by another one today that was very closesly won by the MEC, as for the desert maps i have to agree with squadexodus, allthough kufrah is one of my favourite maps it can get quite brutal if the team isnt organised, as can kashan, but i think this is true for any map, once one team gains the advantage it usually just the other team making wild attemps to fight back with no strategy at all. XD.




                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Desert map theory

                            On kufrah you can easily get caught out in the open. With no cover to cling to, you quickly slip from full health to none.
                            Its a bit absolute for me, ejod I like of course. Kashan is bigger and has a few more curves for cover to it but it doesnt feel like it

                            It might be something to do with view distance, Kufrah is second only to kashan. With the old helis, even 400 alt could be dangerous to fly at on this map


                            If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Desert map theory

                              The big desert maps are all vehicles and air, and sniping. Kashan becomes a grind when the vehicles at outpost run out and you have a 300 ticket snipe match. There should be 4 APCs that constantly respawn and make it an actual Mechanized Infantry map.

                              It would be nice if the APC got a smoke grenade machine gun too. Then you would have real clashes instead of infantry being worthless against tank groups in the distance.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X