pr wedge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pr wedge

I was screwing around with gimp a bit, and trying to think of flexible way of using a squad.
    At the same time I wanted something very easy to use, that you can implement gradually during a game.

Perhaps someone cares to comment.

This topic may be moved to the tactics forum, but no-one looks there.

Re: pr wedge

very pink! 8)

This to me looks like a perfect stationary posission covering all angles and ready for full frontal engagement.
    It looks solid but not very flexible, changing direction might cause the troops to spend more time on wondering if they are in the right place or not and not on the enemy.

So in my opinion move around in 1 2 2 1 then as soon as the SL drops to a knee the squad moves into your 1 2 3.

I realy like the troop assignment

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

I allso realy like how you split the fire-teams int 4 2 units because in PR having extra bodies with the SL will realy help with RP place ments. Its a nice change that adjusts the RL standards to fit the game.

Comment

Thank you. Nice comments

I see where you are going, yet 1-2-2-1 doesn't fit the easy for noobs requirement. Using two formations is too complicated in-game.
        When moving faster, any formation can be expected to stretch out automatically in a way similar to what you suggest, nearly forming rough column.

To keep you position people must bring the person in front of them in the edge of their
        screen regularly. When you lose position, it should be easy to find your position again. You can find your position again by knowing:
        -place in line
        -SL position
        -Direction the formation is facing

Most people know how to find a SL quickly on the map, finding a fireteam-leader is a lot harder and more timeconsuming.

ON movement:
        The slower you move, the wider the formation should be.

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
        I allso realy like how you split the fire-teams int 4 2 units because in PR having extra bodies with the SL will realy help with RP place ments. Its a nice change that adjusts the RL standards to fit the game.
        Actually this is based on traditional military strategy. It is said that you need much more people for suppression then for assault. If suppression is effective, then a tiny assault element should suffice. I don't remember the exact ratio that the doctrine states, but I believe the assault force should be no larger then 1/3 of the total force.

Comment

Detachable assault team ftw!

Hat in a vehicle/50 cal is a good idea to compensate its weaknesses. Also placing a medic in a vehicle seems good and automatic heal under cover is ideal.

Only problem I see with these formation proposals is its laid out on flat ground. Its hard for it not to go to pieces as soon as you have to cross hills or get squashed together between buildings, etc

The slower you move, the wider the formation should be.
          Sounds good

Agree about small assault team with heavy support. One guy in theory can take out the entire other squad, its about timing and placement. Having 4 guys watching your back makes a focused attack good to go

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Realy like the names of the squad mebers 8) maybe you can give every member a name like those so everybody understand their possion right away.

"this is loudmouth; patient, reliable needs a medic" (then medic knows where the corps is supose to be)

Comment

I disagree with having the SL in the front. The SL can set a movement point and the point man can follow it and everyone else can follow the point man. Having the SL as the first man to be shot tends to throw things into chaos. Point should never be taken by the SL as he is too valuable in the long run.

Comment

SL has a scope too so stick the support guy up front and officer fires over his head

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
                  I disagree with having the SL in the front. The SL can set a movement point and the point man can follow it and everyone else can follow the point man. Having the SL as the first man to be shot tends to throw things into chaos. Point should never be taken by the SL as he is too valuable in the long run.
                  I'd go as far as having a regular Rifleman taking Point as you don't want the Support guy to be the first one whacked as his weight of fire can save the whole squad in an ambush.

Kits for the wingmen on either side of the SL would depend on the squad's objective and what type of map is in play.

For example, the 4 dismounts in an APC squad would be:-

- SL with Officer kit
                  - Medic
                  - L-AT or H-AT
                  - Combat Engineer

No need for a SAW gunner as the APC can provide all the suppressing fire you'll ever need.

Comment

I can explain the SL on point as follows:
                    1) He can steer the squad well up front
                    2) He can be found easily
                    3) You cannot spawn on him anyway.

With an experienced squad having the sergeant up front should be better perhaps.

The names were actually thoughts on what kind of player you should put in what position.

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                    SL has a scope too so stick the support guy up front and officer fires over his head
                    In my experience, the support guy is more effective if he isn't the first to engage the enemy. He should also try to be revivable if killed.

Good feedback.

Comment

I like the idea of the suppression/assault fireteams, they are something I might try to incorporate into my own squads and give them a try. The formation might be difficult to stick to with a less experienced squad, but the general concept is a good one.
                      | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
                      Charge for the guns' he said:
                      Into the valley of Death
                        Rode the six hundred.

Comment

I personaly would have the second member in the Bravo team as a grenadier as standard (he would be the man that I would allow to switch to AA if situation called for though), also your reasoning behind having Sl as point is sound, I know when I play medic I love to keep SL always in front of me at all times. Also having your first member of Bravo team with a scoped weapon like you have chosen is great so that he can easily scout ahead if needed. Good job, well thought out +rep.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't like the SL up front either. In real life, as in PR, the leader cannot get cut down first on point. Using a regular rifleman is the best way to go in all cases, due to firepower, scope and weapon selection - grenades, smoke and scope.

I would say there are really only 4 positions that make up a core assualt formation, with 2 additional spots for "other" weapon kits (HAT/LAT/Sniper/Marksman/etc...). These 4 should form a line of march that spreads out when contact is made. The other 2 positions can either move in the same line for speed, or advance as flankers for security when speed is not as important as flank security. These are basic movement to contact concepts I think.

I offer this diagram to illustrate the point for the movement to contact in security mode. The speed mode would just put the flankers in line behind the point man.

I think presuming a team A / team B concept would rely on a very diciplined squad that is really tight on the advance and additionally survives the movement to contact / initial contact scenario totally in tact. A good concept, but not very supportable in PR or real life.

TMAN
                          Last edited by TMan; 04-20-2008, 09:03 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Great writeup! The only thing I would change (personally) is to have B2 be a medic. I prefer to have at least two medics in the squad at all times. He doesn't have to be the one responsible for reviving and healing constantly, he can focus on combat and leave most of the work to A3 unless his skills are required. It also gives Bravo a much greater chance of completing their solo mission if they have a medic.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I favor T-Man's formation over having the SL up front. The fact that the SL can place attack markers on contact will assist the squad tremendously in concentration of fire on contact. The medic should remain in back as well to cover the SL and also increase chances of surviving initial contact to move to fallen squad members for revive. Rifleman on point is good - keeping the Auto Rifleman in #2 works very well as he can provide suppression so the flanking element can do it's work.

Now, making this work outside of an IHS that practices this is the REAL challenge.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X