Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why specific squads

Hi All,

Often when i jump in a game their are specific squads e.g tanks, apc etc. I understand how this works although wouldnt it be more benificial to have squads with a better mix. e.g. an apc flanked by infantry and so on. why dont we do this more ofter. would be great to get your feedback.

Cheers
    seeya on the battlefield

Re: Why specific squads

Because it allows the drivers/gunners to communicate better without all the other chat from infantry etc.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

the apc's are designed to have a gunner, Driver, and then they have 6 seats for 1 entire squad to ride in..
      Communication is done through teamspeak.

Comment

I think some SLs like to try to "reserve" asset types. I don't really like that too much, as it isn't very fair (what if everyone wanted the tanks). I do think that is a main reason.

My problem with it is when people lock a 1 or 2 man squad. Another is when a person joins a squad, takes a kit (sniper) and then leaves to make and lock a 1 man squad. If you see that, call an admin.
        sigpic

Comment

Also, a tank backed by infantry would be nice and all, but think about a large map like kashan, where it would take that squad 3 hours just to get to N. Village because they have to move at the infantry's pace.

Comment

Originally posted by O=T-M-A-N=O View Post
            I think some SLs like to try to "reserve" asset types. I don't really like that too much, as it isn't very fair (what if everyone wanted the tanks). I do think that is a main reason.
            If everyone wants to tank, there will be no ground troops. There aren't enough tanks for everyone anyways and they don't respawn fast. Tank squads also request backup tanks be reserved, so if they lose the first engagement to the enemy they don't have to wait 20 minutes for the next round of tanks to respawn, which would be devastating to the team while the enemy armor rolls over them unopposed.

I know, it sounds unfair. Maybe it is. You can always join these specialty squads (or ask to join a locked one) or make your own at the beginning of the round. But you won't be gunning a tank every round. Hell, I'd love to fly the Cobra gunships every round but that's not possible.
            |TG-6th|Belhade
            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

I guess I phrased that poorly. I mean: What if everyone wanted to be "the" tank squad? It is kinda a first come, first identify, first gets kinda system. Since there is no pre-disposition to PR, that is the way it is. Nothing really wrong with it, just could lead to elitism that could be bad. The commander should really sort out the balance of what he wants, not the SL that just gets there first.
              sigpic

Comment

The thing is, is that it's extremely hard for something to get properly organized, just look at scrims and how long they take to get organized, although it wouldn't be as long it would still be extremely hard to get each squad to do a specific thing with pubbies. Specific squads the way they are is probably the best way unless you want only SMs or something to be in the server. Unless a miracle happens it'll probably stay something close to this way for a long time (All of this is in my opinion, don't even think of flaming me on it).

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

These specific squads only work if there is a good commander. Like Tman said, lots of people want to be in the tank squad. The commander needs to take charge and designate certain squads and make sure there aren't too many tank squads.

Comment

Don't forget that we use teamspeak allot too. Just cause a tank and an infantry squads can't communicate in game doesn't mean we can't do it over TS :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Hi all,

Im not sure if i explained myself properly. What I was getting at is once I was an sl and I instructed my squadies to form a formation around the apc and advance with it and that our primary objective was to defend that asset as we advanced. Believe it or not the apc stayed alive for the whole round and I think i got one of my best scores, we were a force to be reconed with. I guess what i am getting at is that vital assets need inf support. Pehaps assets such as tanks this doest nto apply to, although i believe their should not be apc squads. as apc should form part of a squad. No saying im right just want to know what u think.

Cheers
                      seeya on the battlefield

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                        Also, a tank backed by infantry would be nice and all, but think about a large map like kashan, where it would take that squad 3 hours just to get to N. Village because they have to move at the infantry's pace.
                        Couldnt the sqaud just grab a jeep, why dont we start forming squads like "tank support" and see if it works???
                        seeya on the battlefield

Comment

Sry to keep going.. but wouldnt it be great to have automatic predefined squads as soon as a map loads up and then people just pick which team rols they would like to play...
                          seeya on the battlefield

Comment

Probably impossible due to limitations of BF2, but a neat suggestion.

APC's are ALWAYS closer to infantry than a tank. APC drops off troops/Fights way to hot zone -> APC kills everything in sight while people get out -> APC keeps killing like a maniac -> APC runs back to main to do it all over again.

At least, that's how I like to play APC support role :)
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by austrooper View Post
                              Hi all,

Im not sure if i explained myself properly. What I was getting at is once I was an sl and I instructed my squadies to form a formation around the apc and advance with it and that our primary objective was to defend that asset as we advanced. Believe it or not the apc stayed alive for the whole round and I think i got one of my best scores, we were a force to be reconed with. I guess what i am getting at is that vital assets need inf support. Pehaps assets such as tanks this doest nto apply to, although i believe their should not be apc squads. as apc should form part of a squad. No saying im right just want to know what u think.

Cheers
                              Yes, sometimes we do form up what are called Mechanized Infantry squads, which use APCs for transport and support. An APC is best used for long-range suppressive/structural/vehicle fire and should not be moved into a hot zone. Only after an area has been cleared by infantry should the APC be allowed to roll in. Cruising through Kashan's bunker complex unsecured with a full squad inside is an open invitation to get a L-AT up the keister.
                              |TG-6th|Belhade
                              "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X