Decent internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent internet

Does anyone know if verizon offers anything better than 768kb/s? Because if someone in my house starts downloading somthing, my pings jump to 800, and i lag really bad.
    FIOS isnt available at my house either

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
    Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Re: Decent internet

with out FIOS your'e out of luck
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

You can get load balancing routers that help with this though they are expensive.

QOS packets used on each computer is a cheaper mainstream option. Certain port traffic can be prioritized.

The main lag issue will be uploading. The simplest option is use a program called netlimiter which can control on a computer how much each program is allowed to upload per second.

If any computer saturates the upload bandwidth then you will not be able to acknowledge incoming traffic. If you cant send ack packets, then you cannot receive any further data till you manage to do so, ie. high ping

Not heard of fios before, over here we have upto about 20 meg DSL just over copper cables. Anyway its not how much you have but how well its managed in this case I think - bf2 is quite happy with 10k download and 5k upload per second

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Yeah, the upload is my problem. I only average 12kB/s a second, and if bf2 takes 5, that dosent leave me much room to stretch.
        if no one else is on the internet, i have 30-50 pings. Some one else gets on, without downloading anything, it goes to 500 randomly for about 10 seconds, and then drops back down

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Eww. Luckily, I have something that looks like this. Not college or business... straight to my apartment. :)

sigpic

Comment

are you only able to get verizon?
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by squadexodus View Post
              Does anyone know if verizon offers anything better than 768kb/s?
              Have you looked here ?

Might find some useful info.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

management of your internet is important , if you run emule or a lot of bittorrent in the background and If your running on a cheap router it will cry, quebec connection are not really faster then 500 kbps so i don't know why your connection should be issues. If you have a cheap router tho , that can be the issue. There are many other thing that can affect your internet i dont think your brandwith is an issue

Comment

I have a westell versa link.
                  What im seeing are options for 1.5 and 3mbps but i cant see where to order them

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt_RatBastard View Post
                    Eww. Luckily, I have something that looks like this. Not college or business... straight to my apartment. :)

I don't think he wants to do the same thing u did to get this...finding knee-pads, grape jelly, your cable provider's house and an inflatable chicken are hard to find without making several stops.
                    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I have a 512kb connection and can play the game and download game demos or w/e without any in-game lag, I don't see how 768 isn't enough. Maybe don't download 50 things at once???

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                      In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                        bf2 is quite happy with 10k download and 5k upload per second
                        Wow... I'm very surprised of that? I thought it was taking way more juice from your connection!!!

Originally posted by thebonecollector
                        quebec connection are not really faster then 500 kbps so i don't know why your connection should be issues.
                        I live in quebec too... and my internet provider is CGO Cable that gives me 1,13mb/s download max and 60 to 80 upload max...
                        Play Tactical Gamer Only

Comment

Its gotta be my router. Im not running anything but battlefield.

Comment

Well tell the hamster to pedal faster!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt_RatBastard View Post
                              Well tell the hamster to pedal faster!
                              QFT
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect