Armored Vehicle Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armored Vehicle Tactics

Hey guys. Been a while for me here but there's a couple things that have been.. bothering me lately while gunning on a armored vehicle and what not. I am by no means the "perfect driver" but I do try my best to anticipate the problem before it happens. This is a huge help to the gunner if you do this ALWAYS. Now I've just recently gotten back into PR(say like three for four days ago) so please don't think I am boasting or thinking I am perfect. But I want to share some tactics so that the gunners here don't get frustrated.

But here we go.
    Always try to ANTICIPATE enemy movement. There has been many times while gunner where my driver has just taken off behind a hill only to have an enemy tank get spotted on the other side of the hill, in a position that we could have hit if we were still in that position. Try to be two or three steps ahead of the game. See how things are starting to develop and adjust to "beat the Enemy to it". Gunners do appreciate this.

Hull Down. ALWAYS when stationary. I was playing today (can't remember the map) but I was driving an APC with the gunner who's name has escaped me(EDIT: Gunner was MagnusStorm). We were watching a hill to our left and i noticed a little rise about 5 feet from where we were. I took the initiative to drive up to this so only our turret was showing. No sooner had I done this an Anti Tank missile came flying in hitting the hill just in front of us. Being Hull Down is so important as a driver of any Armored vehicle. You must seek out positions that give this ability. Don't sit in the open.

Use your sights. As a driver you have this camera like sight, you CAN zoom in with it via the "x" key I believe. Use it. If your stationary, zoom in on an area where you think there may be enemy inf. or armor. However don't focus your attention to this specific spot. You are the "eyes" of the gunner, he may be focusing on a certain sector and if you're looking there too then who's watching your back? Like Mr. Don Cherry says "Kids always keep your head on a swivel" Check all around you, as your moving, when your stationary. This will also help you in anticipating enemy movements.

As Driver, take COMMAND of the vehicle. I do not mean don't listen to your gunner, because you need to listen to him. But if you see something coming up on your flank, and there is no time for your gunner to get a bead on it. MOVE. Get behind something, get HULL DOWN. This incorporates into "Head on a Swivel" idea. The more you are checking around the better chances your survival will be.

If you spot an enemy with AT(or any enemy for that matter) close by, don't sit there and tell your gunner where he is. Take INITIATIVE and move out of the way. The your gunner gets mad, tell him why you moved, they won't be mad if they hear you just saved there rear from getting blown to crap. Tell him where he was and to watch that area. But I do not suggest moving back to where you were. Get out of there ASAP and find another vantage point.

Hills may be a good looking spot to start shooting from. But if you think about it, if you are up against other armor, you are placing a big target on you. You're sky lining yourself saying look I'm here. Find a spot where you have cover, maybe a rock, or another hill in front of you, pop out, look around, fire a round or what ever, and move back to cover. I do no suggest doing this multiple times(over 4) because the enemy will just sit and wait for you to come out again. If you need to use a hill, find one where you can back up down it quickly and move over 10 meters or something.

DON'T be predictable. Move around to places you have not been yet, or have not been in a while. The more unpredictable you are, the higher your chances of survival. If you see your team mate get blown up 20meters in front of you, Don't drive up to see what hit him. Take INITIATIVE and flank around to see what hit it. Use your brain and logic please. Don't walk us into an ambush.

If your gunner spots a target who is offensive on you(firing) don't sit there and wait for your gunner to shoot. MOVE to a spot where you have the advantage. The longer you sit in one position the bigger target you are. If you are in a big open desert and there's a tank targeting you. Don't stop there and wait for your gunner to shoot, move horizontally, diagonally, anything to keep you a harder target to hit. Yea you're gunner may say "STOP" but I say only do this once the other tank has fired and is reloading. He fires, STOP let your gunner take a quick shot and start moving again. The more unpredictable your speed, stops and direction are the harder you are going to be to hit. If you are moving and you see a big dip 50m to your right(you would have spotted this by using your camera well before you got into this predicament) light your rear on fire and book it to that dip. When you get in that dip, talk to your gunner, find out the direction, point your front armor at the direction, pop up, let gunner fire, and DROP back.

You spot and aircraft coming at you. You have already scanned the area and you know you have a building to your left. Get that building in between you and the aircraft. Use it as cover. Now, it may be a hill or a large rock, maybe a slight rise in the terrain. Use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING as cover. The smarter you are at using cover the better driver you will be.

Never sit in the same spot to long. Likewise do not move to the same position you got killed at. They will be excepting you.

Again, Please do not think I am boasting or anything. But take these and use them. Add to them. The quicker you are at recognizing danger and moving to avoid it the better you will be. Scan always, make you're movements quick and deliberate. Do not question whether you should move somewhere. Either know it is a good place to be, or do not go there. You are very valuable to you're team. Use it to the BEST of IT'S ability. Know each vehicles strengths and move/play to use them and hide your weaknesses. If you can't climb a hill, don't move to positions with a lot of hills you have to get up.

Please add to this thread to help all of us become better Armored Vehicle drivers. Sorry to the gunner I had for not remembering your name, but it was a great round with you. I may create a Gunning thread later once I get more experience with it. But again, ADD to this please.

Agnew

PS: Caps were used for emphasis not Yelling.
    Last edited by J.Agnew7; 02-19-2008, 07:49 AM.

Re: Armored Vehicle Tactics

In Tanks Driver also has Infared Camera.. Usefull for seeing through smoke.. Left click I believe.

Comment

Pancho, does the IR actually work? I've tried testing it before and all it did for me was glitch out my camera so that it started flickering and stuttering.

Comment

I just assumed it did.. Im gonna start up a local and see.
        YEP URBAN LEDGEND thanks for setting me straight

It does however display range to target.. in that fuzzy screen.
        Last edited by llPANCHOll; 02-18-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that IR seeing through smoke is just an urban legend (armored legend?).

Comment

I didn't know you could zoom in as gunner. I just thought all those gunners had eagle eyes or something when they gunned me down from long range with an APC.

Comment

Works for me on desert maps like kashkan.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Nice post. Learned a thing or two.

Comment

Makes me wonder if that alternate view is supposedly the "night vision"

Edit add:

BTW J.Agnew7 excellent tutorial on tank tactics. Good advice to practice for any up and coming tank crew out there.
                  Last edited by kilroy0097; 02-19-2008, 06:00 AM.
                  "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                  "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

It's actually called "cult vision" guys. Watch it for long enough and you'll want to drink the purple kool aid and wait patiently for the mothership.

I've been at work WAY too long.

Comment

Some nice advice here. Good one.

Comment

i know i'm just a newb around here, but i would like to add that the driver's camera can see long range targets that the gunner's camera can not some times...even at full zoom.

this has happened to me as a driver:
                        Me: "tank at 150!"
                        Gunner: "where?"
                        Me: "one-five-zero!"
                        *BOOM* we are dead
                        Gunner to SL: "we died cuz my driver gave me bad targeting co-ordinates...there was no tank at 150"

and as a gunner:
                        driver: "contact 220"
                        me: "I cant see him"
                        driver: "Just shoot at 220!"

so please remember this when giving tageting directions. perhaps something like "contact 220- VERY long range". and if the gunner cant find it, dont wait too long...get moving to a different (better) location.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd_Wiggler View Post
                          i know i'm just a newb around here, but i would like to add that the driver's camera can see long range targets that the gunner's camera can not some times...even at full zoom.
                          well actually thats probably you not setting view distance to 100% in the video settings in options - standard is 75% i believe - so better have a look at that m8

Comment

Thanx, i will check it out...i have my settings at the "max" or "high" or something like that. but i will try custom settings. perhaps my gunner didn't have his view at 100% either?

Comment

my bad, i misread your post, yeah ur gunner might have had the default medium viewrange :row__636:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X