Be proactive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be proactive

The round on OGT 2/20/08 approx.8:00pm cst there was squad on chinese team camped at tunnel that sat there the entire round as we lost every flag back to train.No matter how much pleading or begging we could not induce them to fall back and help in defence or recapture of a flag.Yes we had a commander and no I wasn't a squad leader at that time so I have no idea if he was ordering said squad to fall back and help.My purpose is not to start a flame war,that's why I have named no names,but has a squad leader not only should you be aware of your situation but the overall situation of your team to take it upon yourself to move to a different position to help (if there is no commander) or if there is a commander to get sitrep.He may be so busy with the dire situation we were in (or getting knifed in our main which happened on at least one occasion)that he hasn't noticed one squad out of position to help the team.I guess my overall point being if you take on the burden of being a squad leader(which I admit I rarely do) PR is about teamwork .We can call our squads any name we wish eg. ambush, engi, attack,defend, the battlefield is a fluid situation.Be proactive ,if you see a squad attacking flag and you are on a flag with no strategic value help them out.Sometimes just a little bit of help goes a long way.Thanks for letting me vent,frustration gone happiness returned.
    Last edited by dave m; 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM.

Re: Be proactive

I was not playing that round of OGT you're talking about here, but it is a common event that a squad may seem to be doing nothing to help the team by being around another part of the battlefield.

I am not defending the squad's action, however, similar comments are quite commonly expressed by people on VOIP when people seem to think "Our squad is the only one doing anything".

No one can grasps all of the tactical demands on the field (except maybe a CO with good intel from SL's) and it may SEEM that the squad you are in is the only one doing anything. Many times I've been in squads attempting to assist a flag only to find ourselves holding back a flanking or rear enemy movement, hunting armor, or just being plain pinned down. I know that to others on our team our squad has looked like it's been in the middle of no where for a long time, but our squad has been there for a reason! Hence, the importance of SL's reporting important contacts/obstacles to completing CO orders to the CO, and the CO providing info about overall strategic progress of the game back to SL's.

The Train flag area on OGT is a good example where an ambushing squad can reduce/halt enemy reinforcements from reaching north bridge and temple. If an APC is taken out at this bottleneck this is one less APC that will be pounding those flags making it easier for other squads to take those flags. A squad may seem to be doing nothing there but could in fact be in the deciding fight for the round.

Sometimes I have been trying to cap a flag, wondering where are all the other squads only to realize later on that they had been holding off enemy reinforcement at other points and had been doing much more fighting than we had been at the flag.

Of course, there are times when a squad does find itself attacking or defending an unimportant flag because they just want some action. In these cases it's up to the SL/CO to get them to do something useful.

Comment

They weren't an ambush squad and at no time did chinese hold any flag north of river .I know situations that you refer to, sorry this wasn't one of them.I'm only pointing out that you may start the round with a certain idea of what you want your squad to accomplish but as situations change you have to change or you could be letting your team down because those 6 guys might make a more important contribution elsewhere.

Comment

Case in point .OPG 2/21/08 1:30cst.Chinese side commander gone midway through round, team in seeming disarray,brits cap trenches .We're in trouble now,somebody assumes commander role he has two squads attack south,three squads attack trenches, one of them the pilot squad.Long story short we pull together cap all the way back to north bridge and lose by by 15 tickets.Every squad pitched in and worked as a team and made it a good round.

Comment

I have to say Nero you were causing quite a bit of trouble for us brits on our side of the map, our commander was having a tough time at the beginning getting supplies to the necessary areas, until we were able to push through and then start to bring the pain.

I was a spec ops team on the other side of the map, doing similiar damage blowing up the command post 3 times i believe and having the rest of my guys far from the chinese main putting down mines and c4.
          Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 02-21-2008, 05:04 PM.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

dave m = drifterdave. Thanks Randy anytime.

Comment

I agree with dave on this point. sure, that squad may have been ambushing or delaying reinforcements from British main, but if the Chinese are capped out back to Train, then obviously the Brits are getting past them and they need to fall back and help recap. Sticking your finger in a hole in the dike won't do much if the water is pouring out over the top. You need to get out of there and start pumping.
              |TG-6th|Belhade
              "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Camping is horrible. Especially when you see those squad sitting at a flag that isnt even remotely cappable. However, if you get a squad of three that wanders off and starts blowing up bridges and enemy assets behind the lines, I would consider that acceptable. As long as they come back when needed. However, That squad should have seen it happening.
                Or they could be a squad that conveniently went afk for the whole game

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

you can't teach this stuff man...either your freaking stupid or you're not. The same people day in and day out do the same Vanilla garbage on our server and don't know the "M" key even exists. Granted spec ops can play an excellent role on most maps...but only GOOD players should be making these squads that have the awareness to retreat when the &%#$ starts hitting the fan and flags start falling to the enemy.
                  |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by w.WAREHOUSE View Post
                    you can't teach this stuff man...either your freaking stupid or you're not. The same people day in and day out do the same Vanilla garbage on our server and don't know the "M" key even exists. Granted spec ops can play an excellent role on most maps...but only GOOD players should be making these squads that have the awareness to retreat when the &%#$ starts hitting the fan and flags start falling to the enemy.
                    Uh oh. Whats the M key again?

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                    Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                      I have to say Nero you were causing quite a bit of trouble for us brits on our side of the map, our commander was having a tough time at the beginning getting supplies to the necessary areas, until we were able to push through and then start to bring the pain.

I was a spec ops team on the other side of the map, doing similiar damage blowing up the command post 3 times i believe and having the rest of my guys far from the chinese main putting down mines and c4.
                      I wasn't playing that round that drifterdave and you are talking about, I was just talking in general terms. In fact I really hate ambushing, preferring all out assaults. All I'm really trying to put across is that sometimes it seems like other squads are wasting time, but are in fact still helping the team by either delaying reinforcements or hitting key assets...but you're also right in that sometimes people really do waste time on pointless objectives and SL's should always consider what the team is to gain from doing what they're doing (especially when you lost your CO like that).

Comment

Warehouse, you are so sexy when you let it fly.
                        sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieRay View Post
                          Warehouse, you are so sexy when you let it fly.
                          Omg, I laughed so hard because of this!

I agree ;)
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by dave m View Post
                            The round on OGT 2/20/08 approx.8:00pm cst there was squad on chinese team camped at tunnel that sat there the entire round as we lost every flag back to train.No matter how much pleading or begging we could not induce them to fall back and help in defence or recapture of a flag.....
                            I was in another squad on the Chinese side that night. It was unbelievable how many times we all begged that squad to come south... they never budged until the round was d*mn near over. It was agonizing watching them waste nearly 20% of our strength and cost us that round. I totally feel your frustration Dave.

It seemed that they were oblivious to not only the map but also the chat.

Im guessing it was a cub scout den on a campout or something. :row__522:

|

Comment

I don't understand why even a sabotage squad would be over there with 6 men, a sabo squad only needs 2 guys and maybe a 3rd for a rally on extremely large maps, although I've played fools road with just 1 other person and sabotaged quite effectively still. The point of a large squad like that doing that is entirely useless and is even better off with everyone lone wolfing, at least if they are lone wolfing they kill some enemies and head toward the flags to cap for extra kills.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X