Should the TG tag be restricted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the TG tag be restricted?

I've been reading a couple of postings on the PRM site regarding the TG server and there are quit a number of people that think the TG tag is a clan tag, even though its pointed out over and over again that anyone can apply the tag. There are no prerequisites other than ones own willingness to comply with the TG gaming philosophy, which apparently isnt always happening.

The general perception is that TGs have privileges other pubers dont and are allowed to get away with things because its their server.

With the huge influx of players to the TG server and this popular misconception Im wondering if the time has come to now instigate a screening process of some kind before a player is granted the privilege of wearing the TG tag on a server to ensure that those that do chose to wear the TG tag are in fact upholding the TG gaming philosophy.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Should the TG tag be restricted?

Nope, the philosophy behind wearing the tag is and has always been the same. It's open to anyone who reads, acknowledges and plays by the rules. It doesnt just apply to our servers, but to all servers. If other people want to see TG as a clan, they're simply ignorant to the truth. It takes two minutes to visit the forums and read about it. It's spammed on the server every 60 seconds plain as day.

I posed a big rant on the PRM forums that you guys are more than welcome to read. It says it better than I really could right now (kinda tired). Keep in mind that the tag is open to everyone, but it's still controlled. The admin staff has had to ask several people to remove the tag because of their behavior and will continue to do so if people misbehave. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post

The general perception is that TG’s have privileges other pubers don’t and are allowed to get away with things because it’s “their” server.
      Its the other way round afaik. If you wear the TG tag and act like a muppet then expect no leniency like what is the general rule for password night where as if you are new to the server then you might get a warning or whatever

The tag just helps me spot people who might be more willing to help with some of the less obvious parts of the game vs someone who has only just installed the mod. Also I try and remember peoples names

People also tend to confuse it with being a SM

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

well...i just recently re-installed the mod, and have been having a HUGE blast on your server. its the most fun i have had gaming in a very long time (since the cod1 days i think...) and i have been wondering if i am "worthy" (for lack of a better term) to wear the tags. I have been hesitating for a few days, and i didn't want to post a question about weather or not i could in the stickied thread. well...it seems its time :D i hope i don't disapoint you all.

thanx for hosting the best server i have played on in years.
        |TG|Redd_Wiggler.

Comment

I think it's a good thing that people judge themselves worthy to wear the |TG| tag. Asking themselves as Redd_Wiggler did, "Am I ready to wear the tag? Will I uphold the spirit and reasoning of the TG tag?". I think anyone who does that is most likely going to be a good player. Those that don't care and wear the tag only because they want some fictional ego boost in the game or because they want to be treated better for whatever reason really shouldn't have the tag in the first place. When they screw up, which most will do eventually, they will then get banned and lose their tag. We police our own and it's the responsibility of every |TG| to make sure that others with the tag are trying their best and following the spirit that is Tactical Gamer Community.

At least that's what I've gathered so far since I've started playing on TG servers a while back.
          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Let me take this time now and point out there are individuals out there that are wearing the |TG| tag without representing what it stands for. However, these individuals are rare to come by, and are still subjected to the rules just like anyone else.

Honestly, I don't think the problem is recurring enough to implement a restriction on wearing the tag. I would rather have an ignorant player walk in every one or two months with the TG tag and get banned than trouble our admins and members to organize and get through some admittance process. It's really not worth it.

Besides, I think the great majority of us will know who's really representing TG apart from who's just wearing the tag for an "ego-boost".

| |

Comment

I want to wear it. But i wont. I have spells of randomness that would probably make the TG tag look bad. Like my easter egg tank. I stood on it for an entire round. That was bad of me. However, when i become a supporter, i will be more inclined to wear the TG tag

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
              Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

I add the Tag to my name .. however I still am in anouther clan , so I expect no linencey from any admin , maybe you need to at least start punishing ppl more often when it comes to rule violations .. I will be the first to admit I have been banned Twice from the server for my own idiocy , even while having the |TG|+ added to my tag , I think it's not time to restrict the tag , but time to start handing out the ass kickings more often ?? maybe ..

|TG|+ =WTC=2ndLt.Plus2 (Rctr,TSSA,SA)
                The Few,The Proud, The =WTC=
                =WTC=2ndLt.Plus2 (SA,TSSA,RCTR)
                sigpic
                ]Ahhhh it makes a day at the office worth every minute !

Comment

i think it should be open to anyone, but when someone gets caught wearing the tag and then doing something not according to the primer rules etc. he should be banned.

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Same idea, if anyone wearing the tag gets caught acting like a retard he should be permanently banned from the server,
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I don't think restricting the tag will ever happen with the open philosophy TG has now. I do agree they should be held to the highest standard, but I wouldn't permanently ban them since there will always be the eager souls who want to be a part of something like TG before they completely understand it. I will say that I honestly feel the Admins are too few for a server as busy as PR and are a little more lenient than I would like. I was asked this before but I'll restate it here. If it were up to me, I would warn them and refer them to the TG Primer and server SOP, but make a note of the activity so the other Admins would be aware of what players are doing what on who's watch. Then for a second offense, I would ban them and set up a meeting on TS or Xfire or other IM and tell them what they are doing wrong and try to educate them in the TG way. If that fails and they screw up a third time in say, 3 months or so, then ban them permanently or for a time suitable for the offense and the attitude the player has. I don't know how the Admins handle it now, maybe they do this exact thing, but it's how I would handle it. Education first, then discipline, then punishment. If a player were to get out of hand and start disrespecting the Admins by cursing them or something, then we could skip a few steps, lol. Some people get it, and some don't. Some have the potential to get it, but don't at first, and then others will simply never understand. The trick is finding who to keep, who needs help and a little polish, and who is just a total loss.

Just my .02

Comment

Elwenil, I'm sure the admins have a policy to follow when enforcing rules and handling situations. Like I said, there'll always be the trouble maker, but for the most part our TG server is the most orderly out of all PR.

| |

Comment

With the philosophy that the Tactical Gamer-community have, the TG-tag should continue to be available for all who agree with it. Tactical Gamer is not an exclusive group, or closed work-shop, nor should it be. Much of the strength of the community do I believe come from the fact that Tactical Gamer is open to all, given that those people feel and agree with the foundation that Tactical Gamer have. The biggest misconception that people have is that Tactical Gamer is a clan, which is quite inaccurate in my opinion. The closest thing to clans within the TG/BF-community is probably the IHS, but that is not what were dealing with here.

What I believe that we all have to do in order to solve the problems brought forward, [even though I personally have a hard time seeing what some people are on about...I have been a member of these forums and played on the server since the middle of 2006 and have never seen some of the acts that the community is accused of. And no, that isnt baise.], is that we ourselves correct TG-tagged people who misbehave and violate the rules. If you see someone doing stupid things on the server, ask them what they are doing. Put them against the wall and make them responsible for their actions. The rules goes for everyone.

And finally, I dont think that the community should be too hard on itself and take too seriously on some of the critism coming our way. From what I have been able to gather, much of it is complete BS and come from the fact that some people have not bothered to read the rules; does not understand the rules; or are simply getting their first experience that the world does not revolve around them - and they can not handle it. I mean, the transition from being a crack-bunnyhopper in vBF2 to getting shot to pieces over and over on one of the best [if not the best] PR-servers, and not even being able to HAT-snipe, must be very difficult. Perhaps we should give these guys some slack and allow them to excel?;)
                          sigpic
                          The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                            Elwenil, I'm sure the admins have a policy to follow when enforcing rules and handling situations. Like I said, there'll always be the trouble maker, but for the most part our TG server is the most orderly out of all PR.
                            Believe me, I know. I was an Admin on my old clan's servers for a long time. I don't know exactly how TG's Admins do it, but it's not really my concern. I do think they should be slightly more strict, but that's just my personal opinion.

As far as how the world sees TG members, it's all perception. We have our rules and we follow them to the best of our ability, to someone on the outside who is new to the whole TG thing, they may not understand why they got kicked for a SM and just think we are a bunch of elitist *******s who kicked them because they were new or an "outsider". It's their perception because they don't know the truth of what happened and then they go and tell all their friends about it. Honestly I find fault with the game manufacturers themselves. The internet server browsers in most games are so low budget and have so few features, there is no opportunity to coherently inform a new player of the particular rules and stipulations before entering said server. And so, confusion rules and people get pissed off for no reason in our mind, but they feel like they have just been kicked in the face by our "clan". If a mod group could make some sort of app that would allow a server to make the player agree to the rules before joining, that would probably be one of the single most useful mods ever made to any online game. Again, just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt.Plus2 View Post
                              I add the Tag to my name .. however I still am in anouther clan , so I expect no linencey from any admin , maybe you need to at least start punishing ppl more often when it comes to rule violations ..
                              |TG|+ =WTC=2ndLt.Plus2 (Rctr,TSSA,SA)
                              I'm also in a vanilla BF2 clan but when I'm playing PR I apply the |TG| tag simply because I'm a regular there and abbide by the rules. The rule should remain the same and wearing the |TG| tag should be open to anyone willing to share the same philosophy as Tactical-Gamer.
                              "The whole world can be explained by fluxuations between 0 and 1"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X