Relativly new to PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relativly new to PR

Alrighty. Hi all. As you can probably guess from the title, i'm a newb to the PR mod. I've been playnig for a week, and just today i was thrust into the position of SL after a move of "musical-squad-members" and i didnt do too badly. My squad beat off an attack to the north of Fishing Village despite being comprised of mainly newbies. I was just curious as to any tips I could get for SLing as it was fun, and I had to spend 3 minutes figuring out how to set a rally point :P
    sigpic

Re: Relativly new to PR

Welcome and well done on leading.

Print the manual off I think is good because you can read it in game quickly while waiting to respawn and a couple of things are a bit fiddly sometimes.

Move the attack marker reguarly.

Try to stop your squad clumping up, one grenade or RPG should not wipe out your entire squad

A good sl:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIt2cjTO61I[/media]

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

yeah like sabre said read the manual

PR manual=PR players best freind

and welcome to the fun filled world of PR
      I do not have any ribbons because the TG Ribbons department has not created one for being a boss.

Comment

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/

There a handful of really good Tactics and Tips for Squad Leaders on that forum. I would post a link to a few but currently it seems that their forum is down or so slow I'm timing out.

As for personal all time top tips for me.

1. Utilize Markers along with VOIP direction to enhance combat awareness and clear direction.
        2. Set Rally points in locations that are not often traveled. I always suggest at least 200m outside any CP at minimum.
        3. Set Rally Points Every time you change positions if you know you will be attacking or defending a different CP.
        4. Make certain the kits taken by your squad are good for the role you are doing.
        5. Listen or at least Communicate with your Commander. A good commander relies on good awareness of Squads on the field. If you have Armor pinning you down, advice commander of armor position and spot it. It is possible that the Commander can order reinforcements or air power to take out said armor. But also do not rely on this.
        6. Adapt and overcome. In the above example have a squad mate spawn in as Engineer or AT and see about taking out that tank/armor. Don't be afraid to change up what you are doing on the fly to adapt to a new situation.

Good luck in the field!
        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

If the squad plays musical chairs to make you SL, take the position solidly and make sure they follow your orders. Don't talk down to them, but be solid with any orders you give, even if they don't work out.

And note that if you felt like an assault or defense went well in timing and execution but you still were wiped out, it just means the other team was better and not that you were bad or made a bad decision. Just try a different approach the next time.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

BTW I know this is off topic but that has got to be one of the cutest sigs I have seen in a long time. Good job snoogums.
            "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Me too catching hold of the tail of these tips.

Good post Brain21 & great tips gents.

I'll be giving the server a twirl this weekend I hope for now I've just been doing SP. Last time I was on BF it was BF1942.
              Be gentle Gents no military 2-steps with the SL thing ok ok.

I'd like to be at the back with a frying pan making tea -coffee & fried egg sarnies to start with.

Ps. Kilroy the link is working fine for me - thanks.
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Try to win. People like that. ;) But welcome to pr. Best way to learn= manual. 2nd best way to learn= trial by fire. Except with aircraft. That you want to practice with yourself

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactical-gamer-university/

I also suggest new players who are extremely interested in learning more about PR to look at that section of the forums and perhaps sign up for a class when it comes around again. I hear they are extremely educational.

Comment

Ferris's Top 10 SL Tips:
                    1. Read the manual cover to cover. Get familiar with the interface and your controls. You had said it took you 3 mins to figure out how to set a RP, and this is why this tip comes first.

2. PRACTICE. Create a local server, load up any map on Training mode (you have to download the training mode files from the PR forum, which can be found here. at the top of the map screen when you're creating a server, theres a dropdown box. The default mode is AAS, change it to training and select a map from the list.), grab an officer kit and play around with it.

3. Before doing much in the SL world, play as a squad member for a good while. You'll learn the difference between a good SL and a bad one. Your golden ticket is to emulate the good ones in the way you do things.

4. Think strategically. This is the downfall of many squad leaders. If you're on defense, think about how you would attack and deploy your guys to intercept those angles. If you're attacking, think about how you would be defending and go in a different way. Most of the attack and defense routes are very common, try something unusual for a bit of fun and maybe upping your probability of success.

5. Be goal oriented. Set yourself a goal for the squad and shoot for that and nothing else. If your goal is to attack a flag, keep going for it until you cap it or cant attack it anymore. Same with defense.

6. Patience is king as squad leader. There are times you're going to be on defense and wont see an enemy for 20 minutes at a time. Be patient. Getting ancy and off your game is going to guarantee you're not going to get the job done.

7. You're in charge, so be in charge. Theres a lot of people who love to backseat squad lead. Dont let them. If you assign someone to do something and they tell you theyre going to do something else, tell them to stick it and follow orders. Suggestions are nice, but you dont always have to take them. It's your squad, lead it as you see fit.

8. Communicate. Always make sure that you know where your guys are and what theyre doing. Keep tabs on enemy locations. Make sure your guys know where to spawn. Tell them they're doing a good job, even if you guys are getting slapped around. Make sure you have clear orders issued and everyone understands them.

9. Have a degree of confidence. People are going to bail on a SL who freely admits that he doesnt know what hes doing. Always act like you've been doing this your whole life.

10. Learn who the veteran players are (not just SL's) and ask advice in-game. A great way to do this is to be on teamspeak and in the appropriate team coordination channel. If you're not sure which is which, join one of them and ask "is this the US/MEC/Chinese/Brit/Insurgent/Militia side?" Someone will be glad to answer you to make sure you're in the right channel.
                    Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I have a great Tip Regarding Squad Leading, If you have a Squad Mate who is not following orders, or is unresponsive, open the "Capslock Map"....
                      Click on "MANAGE SQUAD"
                      Check the Box Next to the Players name that says "KICK"
                      Click the "APPLY" Button..

If they come back, they will probably be more willing to follow order... Or they will just go to another squad..

This is your only method of enforcing Dicipline..
                      There are no Pushups in PR..

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                        I have a great Tip Regarding Squad Leading, If you have a Squad Mate who is not following orders, or is unresponsive, open the "Capslock Map"....
                        Click on "MANAGE SQUAD"
                        Check the Box Next to the Players name that says "KICK"
                        Click the "APPLY" Button..

If they come back, they will probably be more willing to follow order... Or they will just go to another squad..

This is your only method of enforcing Dicipline..
                        There are no Pushups in PR..
                        Yeah, I had to do that about 3 times with 3 different guys. Eventually it was just me and two other guys in the squad :P
                        But we got the job done. Sorta : /
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...