Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok no not ok

Right Gents
    In a previous post you all assisted me with the d/l and set up for PR.

I had intended jumpimng on Sunday night for the password battle but I find the infor for PR not sufficient to op the game.
    ie I need to know the basic bf2 stuff like how to sqd up and get key-board familar. The last time I played any BF was the 1942 series some time ago. So I'm spending some time learning the ropes.

I have ventured onto some servers and sqd'ed up but I seem to struggle abit with game smoothness [fps].
    Are there any posts about setting up the game I can read, I'm set as my pc has selected basically all at medium. I have twin G/fix cards but I haven't tried to set for them, there doesn't seem to be an option for that in game.

The sp bf2 runs fine.

Regards
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Re: ok no not ok

PR takes more graphical memory then normal BF2(Not much 2 or 3 mb) the way to fix FPS may be more RAM.

Comment

It would help to know some specs on your system in regards to the graphical issue. I used to play on a Pentium 4, with 2 GB RAM and an ATI x1350 with all settings at Low or Off.
      |TG-6th|Belhade
      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Training maps would be good.
        As for the graphics, try each setting at high. Slowly take down each setting one at a time, untill it gets better. Then stick with that.

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
        Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

It's my recommendation to everyone who first started to play BF2 back in the day and any mod to start at all Medium and then start to raise certain things to High that are considered important. Or lower things that are not important depending on performance.

Medium on an aged engined like BF2 is pretty good on just about all computers. And you honestly don't need high on everything. There are a few graphical glitches that rear their ugly heads in PR when everything is on High. Or so I've been told repeatedly.
          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Yeah Kilroy your right. I noticed that when i have my ATI Saphire 2600XT on full the bases around the trees at a long distance is white. Like see through white. Before i got my new card i ran it constantly between medium and low. It loaded fast but it wasnt the greatest on graphics.
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

OK gents thanks, I'll have a go at playing with my settings as you suggest.

Any one know if my 2 x G/fix cards can be used in bf2 PR???

My system is ok for ArmA [90fps] and CoD4 is smooth like oiled silk so I was rather expecting that bf2 being a bit aged would be fine.

Some of this could be down to the servers I was on so maybe I need to check my results out on our TG server to have a standard to work to.
              As I say above bf2 sp is fine unfortunately PR isn't set-up for sp out the box but I believe you can do this so I may try to do that as well.

Cheers
              taking my time but getting there - a man can eat an elephant with a tea spoon if given enough time ;)
              "I like a man who grins when he fights"
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

what kind of graphics card do you have? actually just post your entire system specs. PR does use a ton more power in general and i had to drop all of my settings a level to sortof be able to play PR smoothly.

here are some guides that can help with the fps.
                http://gear.ign.com/articles/626/626714p1.html <--pretty good guide
                http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html <--doesnt have a lot of tweaks but its a good read to know more about BF2's video settings etc. and that site should also hav a guide to tweaking your video card stuff
                http://games.internode.on.net/forums...534c86d5ab022b

and just google around. theyre all over the place

"These things we do that others may live."
                Intel(R) Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz
                GeForce 8600m GT 256mb

Comment

Barnaby, as was stated earlier, give us some exact specs. We need to know what your two graphics cards are and whether or not you have them linked correctly. If they're SLI cards, you have to make sure you have the bridge in place to achieve the correct performance levels. Also, how much RAM do you have in your machine?

Comment

Also, PR and BF2 really like a good defragmented harddrive, and post your full system specs.

If you can play ARMA that high, then you probably just have something small wrong with your PR setup.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also, I remember reading somewhere that BF2 can only support up to 2 gigs of ram. Otherwise it gets unstable. I dont know maybe it was a rumor or something.
                      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                        Also, I remember reading somewhere that BF2 can only support up to 2 gigs of ram. Otherwise it gets unstable. I dont know maybe it was a rumor or something.
                        Oh boy, there goes my future plans for expansion. Stupid cheescake of a limit...
                        Anyway, i had a mild case of rubberbanding, but it went away after i got booted for a SM

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                        Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                          I run 8gb and have 0 problems.

Comment

That was on this forum. Individual programs in win xp can only address 2 gig but we found out bf2 doesnt come near that even with pr. What can happen is bf2 uses alot of texture memory, more then even 2 gig can cope with and that creates lag as textures have to be loaded from disk.

Windows will add texture memory usage onto the process amount you see in task manager. Thats how it can appear to exceed 2 gig

I have 2.3gig and bf2 uses all of that on occasion, 3 gig might be usefull. It depends how much vram you have as well

It wont get unstable anyway because of that, win xp can address only 4 gig total I think it is. So half a gig allocated to the gfx would mean 3.5gig can be addressed of main memory. The bf2 process could use 2 gig of that and that leaves 1.5 gig for texture memory and other usage like the os which is about 100meg ideally.

Ati tray tools can show how much texture memory you use. Qwai will use more memory then kashan for example

Quick example, my task manager shows 1.6gig peak because when I played jabal and mestia I only covered a few flags.
                            So the map was never fully loaded into memory, I never saw it and it stayed on the disk. This is mainly because I didnt go in a heli anywhere, etc

Anyway, 1.6gig main memory + 512meg on the gfx card makes a total of 2.1 gig used by bf2 in those games. I didnt get lag and the figures reflect that as I have 2 gig main memory it was easy.

If my gfx card had only 128 meg then the main memory required would have been about 2 gig so some people might have got lag there as the os in the background is paged to the disk

If you lag when you look through the binoculars then I think thats because bf2 has run out of easily available memory

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              I run 8gb and have 0 problems.
                              And that my friend is why I said it was probably a rumor. And wow, 8 gigs is alot.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X