Need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help

I'm a long-time TGer though my actual playtime has been sporadic for a long time because of a lack of a decent gaming computer. I used to play vanilla BF2 on TGs servers all the time, me and Phelan Ward had a standing helo gunner war going on in fact.

I've become a supporting member because I've always liked the community and think that it's a great place and want to help out (and now I'm out of college and have the means to help out a little bit at least) even though I actually play most games on other servers besides TG (Day of Defeat and CS:S for example) not through any real preference but simply out of habit. I'm in the process of looking into playing on the TG servers tonight in fact.

But I have a problem. I want to play PR. I really really want to play PR. But I don't know how. I jumped on the other night and got into someones squad (who was really helpful though I don't remember your name *sorry*) and I didn't know how to actually select a limited kit. He told me how luckily. Then I couldn't find the RP on the map to spawn on him so he came and picked me up in a humvee and we drove towards another map (where I got us killed by a LAT because I didn't see him in the grass) and I had to hop off to finish giving my kids a bath.

I don't know how to play. I tried reading the guide (maybe I'm not reading the right parts?) I just downloaded the aircraft training maps because thats what I used to be good at -and I have a new fancy thrustmaster cougar to play with- and I'm going to practice with those for a while.

I'm not trying to jump in and be the best helo or jet player, I just want to understand the basic differences and things I should be aware of between BF2 and PR. And also are there any good places to practice besides the TG servers? I'd rather start off sucking on a pub server than drag down the whole team/squad on TG servers. Are there any other good guides besides the one at the PR start page?

Basically I just need some noob player guides/resources. Please help. I want to play with you guys and not suck so hard.

Re: Need some help

Explore this...

There is also some helpful info HERE

Just let the SL know that you are new and they should be accomodating.. we all had our first few rounds and understand that learning is a process..

WELCOME TO PR

Comment

Yup, the learning curve in PR is steep as hell.
      Start with the guides, learn as much as possible. Make sure you're comfortable with the regular kits before you start using many specialty kits. The training maps are perfect to practice on because you can get unlimited numbers of any kit.
      Heres some basic stuff to know:
      -Your Q key allows you to use your comms for spotting, etc.

-Your T key allows you to get kits from rally points, bunkers, and firebases.

-To get ANY kits, you have to be in a squad. Most of the requestable kits are limited by number in one form or another. For example: you cant have more than one of most specialty kits in one squad (spec ops, pilot, crewman are the exceptions. basically, unless you pick up a dead enemy's kit, you cant have more than one LAT, HAT, SAW, etc. in one squad). Most kits are also limited for the team as a whole: 2 HAT kits, 5 LAT, 5 SAW, 3 Spec Ops, 2 sniper, 2 marksman. There are also limits on the kits you can get by how many people you have in your squad: officer kits are not available until a squad has 3 people, LAT is the same, sniper needs 2 people, HAT needs 2, etc.

-Your spawn map can be got through pressing your enter key. Your squad's rally point will be a white dot with a green number (your squad's number, make sure you know it). A green triangle with a black dot is a firebase, a solid green triangle is a bunker. your regular map is shown by pressing the capslock key (those are the default keys, check your settings for the keys you've set)

-to drive a tank, APC, AA vehicle you need a crewman kit. if you dont have one and you get in the driver or gunners seat of any of those vehicles, it will kill you after 10 seconds.

-in addition, if you get in the driver/gunner seat of a heavy vehicle (tank/apc/aa) that is already occupied by someone from another squad, crewman kit or not, it will kill you in 10 seconds.

-make sure you read through the PR rules carefully. We dont allow HAT sniping, TOWs against infantry, UCB camping, etc. Most are basic, but some get a bit tricky (i.e. the fools road UCB/bridge rule)

-If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to answer them all.

Comment

Do you know anyone who uses a HOTAS system with this game? More specifically a thrustmaster cougar?

I loaded up the aircraft training map tonight, I can fly the jets (barely and it seems like all the maps are too small to use aircraft) but the helos instantly do a headstand.

I'm waiting for them to spool up and everything (it's kind of cool because I ride in helicopters all the time for my job and it's a very accurate sound) but as soon as I increase collective I lose control. I've tried changing the pitch factor, the sensitivity, inverting the mouse, everything. It's crazy. I can't figure it out.

Also, because the thrustmaster doesn't use software drivers it can't be that issue. I'm doing some more research, but I remember having a similiar problem with my X52 with vanilla BF2. Something about there not being a real "reverse" possibility and that not letting you hit full military.

I don't know, but any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Yea the manual is definitely a must read, cant tell you how many times I've seen new players rush for jets or helos and crash them before even getting off the ground..

HOTAS and Thrustmaster I have no clue what that is.

Jets- Pull up the map, it helps alot.. When your about to land or trying to slow down your speed keep throttle around 30% and do S turns to slow down before actually hitting landing zone.

Helos- Keep throttle around 25-30% until you hear that certain noise then you can start to go, landing helos just takes practice really, dont let throttle go to 0 otherwise you die very easily.

Another thing is I dont use my mouse when flying anything, I use WASD and the arrow keys.. I dont know how using the mouse is but it seems like itd be near impossible.

Also what is your job/profession/career/money maker if you dont mind sayin then?
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Another Post Yes I know.. and kinda random but I was just thinking (from bridge rule and no camping UCBs) It would be kinda cool if Comms had a very distinctive outfit and a much higher respawn time (say 2 minutes?) Iunno this seems like it would just be alot more important for Comm to protect himself and everything and enemy could actually send in a sniper team specificlly just to assassinate him and get out of there. Another variation of Special operations..
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

From what I've heard, HOTAS doesnt really work too well with BF2, the game gets confoozed. Try working with just the joystick and using the KB for throttle right now. For helos, how long are you waiting to spool up? It generally takes 30+ seconds before you can apply power and get off the ground.

Also, simply because of the limitations of the BF2 engine, the no-reverse power thing you spoke of is kinda true. In a helo, positive power works, hands off throttle is your pseudo-hover (you'll still lose altitude, but very slowly) and reverse thrust will slam you into the deck. I only use reverse thrust in helos for crash and dash dropoffs, otherwise, you're pretty much going to tank yourself. Also, with all the choppers, flying in a forward direction requires positive thrust or you'll just eat the deck.

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
              Another Post Yes I know.. and kinda random but I was just thinking (from bridge rule and no camping UCBs) It would be kinda cool if Comms had a very distinctive outfit and a much higher respawn time (say 2 minutes?) Iunno this seems like it would just be alot more important for Comm to protect himself and everything and enemy could actually send in a sniper team specificlly just to assassinate him and get out of there. Another variation of Special operations..
              Not the best idea. This would just lead to the CO staying in the UCB at all times so he'd never get popped (assassinating the CO would be considered UCB camping in that regard) and there are definitely times when the CO needs to be in the field.

Comment

this is how i look at it

PR manual= PR players best friend
                I do not have any ribbons because the TG Ribbons department has not created one for being a boss.

Comment

I somewhat agree. But there are alot of things that you cant pick up in the manual that you can ingame. Just small tips and such.
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    Not the best idea. This would just lead to the CO staying in the UCB at all times so he'd never get popped (assassinating the CO would be considered UCB camping in that regard) and there are definitely times when the CO needs to be in the field.
                    Well yea but that would also be a main thing, keep the commander moving around so he doesnt stay in a certain area long enough to get picked off. and Im saying with the UCB camping that this would be the same as spec ops going in and blowing up assets, its just a in and out job that disrupts the enemy. Nations have sniper teams that are made just to do things like this..

Comment

I use the X52 Hotas setup, it works fine, think of 50% as zero input, and go from there. SHould be the same on teh cougar.

Comment

Just hop onto the TG PR server, tell them you are new and try to get into a 'Learn TG' squad or something similar. Most people will be a lot kinder if you own up immediately to being new to PR than if you go and make a silly mistake, costing the team assets or tickets.

Welcome to PR!
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

You should try to get in Bostonbob's SQ or Dirtboy's.
                          They are 2 great SL's and if you tell them you are new they will help you.
                          They did for me, but you have to be quick in joining cuz they fill up fast.
                          Players on TG will also help you, that's what TG's about.

Comment

Yeah I got the helos and planes down now, just can't use my throttle, but the keyboard works fine in any case. I'm not great by any means, but I've got the idea and I'll keep practicing. Anybody else think that the little bird is a b***h to take off with? I don't know why but flying I'm find, taking off I roll the dang thing half the time.

I work as an offshore rope access technician doing inspection, welding, cutting, blasting/painting etc. Basically it's like mountain climbing on an oil rig.

Just google image rope access technician and you'll find some pretty good pics. Here are a couple that actually show the nature of my job.

[media]http://www.verticalservice.com/Settings/files/1/media/OL-MPI%20helideck%20-%20starboard%20side%20012%20(Medium).jpg[/media]

[media]http://ca.geocities.com/waterat_ns/anodes.jpg[/media] (this isn't me, but it's actually a job I was on)

[media]http://www.ropesthatrescue.com/images/Ropeaccess1.jpg[/media]

and if you go to www.reelgroup.com there is a picture slideshow on the front page. This is the actual company I work for.

Since I work mostly on ultra-deepwater platforms we fly by choppers to almost all of our locations.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X