Sniping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniping

Today, I was in a Defensive squad and our first job was to defend "Airdrop"(Forgot what the map name was w/e). I was told to go sniper and camp in the mountains overlooking the flag and help the rest of the squad out with sniper fire. I liked being sniper and it was fun to see people randomly go flying when I hit them.

The problem here, is that I don't hit very often. So what I'm asking is for you guys to give me a few tips/tricks on sniping and other stuff I might want/need to know about being a sniper.

Re: Sniping

Sorry, but in that place, just get a grenadier kit, and a mate with ammo bag, its more effective :)

But seriously, just practice, practice and more practice..... you'll get the hang of it.

Comment

just to add, don't rush the shot, wait till they stop a second (everyone will) then shoot em!

Comment

Another reason could possibly be that the snipers right now in this version are bugged.. Their deviation is way off for sniper rifles (MEC still works fine) but theyre getting fixed whenever PR devs release patch im pretty sure.
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Sniper kits getting fixed soon.

Comment

I'll be the third to say it: the rifles are bugged and are being fixed. Theres an optimal range for the sniper rifles at which the bullet drop meets up with the crosshairs. Below that range, you have to aim low, farther out, you have to aim high. I believe the optimal range is somewhere between 350-400m right now.

As far as sniper tricks, waiting is your best friend. Every time you make a sudden move, you have to wait for the sight to settle or you're going to deviate left-right by a lot. 3 seconds of still scope is recommended before any shot. Second, wait for THEM to stop moving. This makes your shots a lot easier. If you see a guy running toward your friends abd blazing away, chances are hes going to get mowed down by them before you can hit him. But that guy with the saw hiding behind the tree covering the mad dash...ah...that's your cup of tea.

Also, concealment is pretty much a no-go in PR because of the 90m terrain bug. Some of the newer maps have better terrain features, like static bushes and whatnot. But older maps, like Kyongan'Ni (the map you were describing) dont have them, and grass is transparent to anyone over 90m away from you. So if you're a sniper and you're hiding in the grass, anyone over 90m is going to spot you and pick you off like you were laying in the open. Use cracks and crevices, hide behind trees and rocks. Keep moving your position so that reinforcements dont know exactly where to shoot when they respawn.

Comment

Ditto on everything Ferris said, whilst the sniper kits are bugged they still work to some degree. I sometimes go sniper/spotter on appropriate maps and whilst I'm no expert I occasionally have a good day and start hitting what I'm aiming at. Personally I like using the British sniper rifle as I seem to have the least problems with it. I usually have most luck at the 400-500 range which is by no means full range of the rifle.

I've found that if you remember all the basics as Ferris has descibed, each time you take a shot, you will start having some success. Patience is key, don't jiggle about while you're waiting. If you have to take a shot on a moving target then wait till he is moving towards you i.e. facing you. At worst you can take a shot when your target is moving diagonally across you i.e. top right of your field of view to bottom left. This way his centre mass is exposed to you for longer, if he is moving left to right, horizontally across your field of view your target is slimmer and you have to lead the shot more, it becomes pot luck.
              You don't want to potentially give away your position for a 'lottery shot' against random infantry.

Targets that are useful to whack, Tank Commanders as they are often stationary and the tank's own noise will disguise the shot, ditto Vodnik/technical gunners when stationary plus the removal of that threat greatly helps out infantry you are supporting. AA gunners, as I personally despise these merchants of death lol.

Anyway just a few thoughts from a rank amateur. If you want to know how to do it properly, there is a man you can ask, they call him THE SKUD. At worst look for BFR action of Skud at work, you'll learn what you need from that.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

(Snipers should stay bugged, IMO. Fuzzhead agrees)

If you have problems, just wait for the patch. Honestly, I find the snipers to perform just about the same as they used to.
                Skud

Comment

Ehh, I do like how the sniper shots are completely off if you just zoom and shoot right away but their is a point where it gets annoying having to wait 2 seconds when your target only stops for 1 before you take your shot and you've been following his path awhile...
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Mec sniper definitly works as even Ive had success with it, not sure if anyone of the others work exactly. The svd didnt work well for me

usmc sniper and marksman are broke, the bullet still comes out but use the m16 acog instead.

When you move the scope left or right it will alter your accuracy. See the hat kit for an idea of how this works.

If you track an enemy pause a second in one spot before firing, maybe wait for him to walk into the scope sights instead of the other way round

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

One trick that I've picked up...

...er, maybe I should keep it a secret. :icon_wink

Ok, here it is: if an enemy is moving, take a shot. Even if you don't hit, many players will freeze and go prone when they hear a sniper rifle/bullet nearby. They will try to hide behind a tree or rock and look for the source, often leaving themselves exposed:
                      *BLAM*
                      "Yeah, that's it...stop moving...thank you...now lay down...nope, I'm over here..."
                      *BLAM*
                      |TG-6th|Belhade
                      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post

Ok, here it is: if an enemy is moving, take a shot. Even if you don't hit, many players will freeze and go prone when they hear a sniper rifle/bullet nearby. They will try to hide behind a tree or rock and look for the source, often leaving themselves exposed:
                        *BLAM*
                        "Yeah, that's it...stop moving...thank you...now lay down...nope, I'm over here..."
                        *BLAM*
                        thats pretty funny..
                        I havnt used a sniper kit in a LONG LONG time..

Comment

Yea I actually do that alot if a enemy is starting to run away from cover.. that and waiting for the enemy to line up in your sights instead of you moving the scope (when they comin in your direction)

Comment

*BLAM*
                            *BLAM*

That really is one of the best tricks....kudos for telling it...
                            sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

*BLAM*
                              *BLAM*
                              NOOOOOOOOOOO
                              My strategy, told to all the snipers... Great, now i have to come up with another plan to keep those pesky little buggers from shooting me

I am the leader Of the Zombie Defense Militia. We hold think tanks on how to live in a zombie apocalypse.
                              Baseless self confidence kills more people each year than bathtubs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X