Tank Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Tactics

Ok I thought Id just make a few tips on PR tanks tactics, I love tanking on all maps so I thought Id share a few of the things Ive learnt. Ok here goes
    1. Protect you engineer, if you see a suitable place for your engineer to hide, say about 50m back from where the tank will be engaging and in a sheltered spot, leave him there and move up. If there are enemy infantry around, stay in the turret and press CTRL to duck, this will be fine for infantry, but if engaged by enemy armour it is always better to stay back, as hits to the hatch will kill the engineer if he is ducked. When not in combat, keep the engineer on the turret in order to dispatch enemy sabotage units.
    2. Always move in pairs, it is wise to stay as a group, around 50 100m apart, this gives you a chance of double hits on enemy tanks for quick dispatches as well as a wider viewing area so you can see any H-AT or infantry around you.
    3. Use friendly infantry to you advantage. If there is a friendly squad moving behind you, dont be afraid to get in close so they can cover you from sabotage or light vehicle fire (APCs).
    4. Pull back when damaged. Loosing a tank is always a major hindrance to your assault, but loosing both tanks means no assault at all. If one tank goes down and you become outnumbered, pull back to the nearest safe zone e.g. firebase/uncap/bunker and wait for re-enforcements, likelihood is you wont be chased as you know they are coming.
    5. Hills are Evil. To many times have I seen tanks roll straight over hills only to be destroyed or damaged by a hit to the undercarriage. If you can, try to stay on level ground, this gives the gunner the best firing angle, and, makes it easier to escape if spotted. Never roll straight over a steep hill as there may be an enemy tank in position to fire on you, it usually takes around 5 10 seconds to orient yourself and be ready to fire after going over a hill. If it is necessary have you engineer take a peek first, he is smaller and is less likely to be seen and can give valuable Intel on locations. If you SL is driving let him do it, he can place move and attack marker on safe locations and hostile forces.
    6. Spotter will kill you if you dont kill them. After the 20 minute marker you need to be very vigilant, look out for enemy spotters, they love to hide up on the hills, laser you and wait for the bombs to drop. If you see one, hunt him down and kill him, it can help the entire team, not just your squad and it will be around 5 minutes (if he doesnt have a rally) before he comes back.
    7. Armour is No.1 priority. If you see enemy armour and infantry/AA, dont unload your coax until you have fired your first Sabot round. Its usually better to wait for both tanks to get into position so they have a shot, take it, and have one tank focus on the infantry/AA and one on the enemy tank.
    8. Numbers are not always the deciding factor. In 1 v 3, 3 will win, but in 2 v 3 its never certain, you need to ain your shots right and NOT miss, I know its easy to say, but its not to hard to get your mouse in the right place.
    9. Flanking = Victory, if you can get to the side or behind enemy tanks without being seen chances are it will take 1 2 rounds less to kill them, as the sides and back are particularly vulnerable. Also try and get holed down so only your turret is exposed, this will help in long range battles/
    10. Finally, never engage when smoking. Always ask the drivers to check the status of the other tank, if they are smoking it is likely they are 1 shot away from death so get them to pull back and repair.
    I know this isnt everything so if anyone has anything to add just PM me and ill put it in there.

Likely spotter locations

Proof i am 1337

Boastings

Re: Tank Tactics

Originally posted by ollie_fool View Post

Boastings
    All I can say is... guess who drove your tank?
    | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns' he said:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Comment

That's what I call a good round!
      Play Tactical Gamer Only

Comment

i missed that im so gutted the 2 nooby squad would have allost been complete!!

Comment

Nice writeup! Here's a few things that I like to follow:

- SL'ers should always be driving. He can relay enemy locations via the waypoint instead of just yelling at the gunner to look in a certain direction.
          - If you are going to engage a tank, get those engineers out of the turret! They are usually the first to die if they stay in there, so keep them safe.
          - If you can, get another guy in a different squad to follow you around in AA. That way you are safe from enemy jets, and at the very least can deal with infantry or be another target for the enemy to deal with while you take them out.
          - Keep SABOT up! Never, ever ever leave HEAT up, even if you know there are no tanks in the area. You never know, so play it safe.
          - On Kashan, place a rally point at the outposts when the game starts so if you die you can grab another tank easily.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Good ideas Nardini, the only point I would like to make is that Ollie_fool is primarily a gunner and leads from the gunner position. I don't know what enables him to accomplish this successfully, but a squad usually runs fine with a gunner SL, provided they have 100% view distance and sharp eyes!
            | |

Into the valley of Death
              Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Yeah it's fine, I know Dirtboy always SL's and guns as well, but IMO it's just one more edge you have over the enemy, and allows your squad to react that much faster.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

SL in driver seat has 360* field of view and faster scroll than gunner from turret. The main reason most of us prefer this set up is the attack markers. It is very easy for the tank gunner to fire a round on the big attack here sign on the map, rather than try and decipher where the hell the driver is spotting his target. Gunner as SL is a waste of a valuable asset, and if your gunner is finding targets before your tank commander, you guys are doing something wrong.
                |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Me and saber_tooth_tiger are used to team up in APC... most of the time he don't want to be SL and prefer to drive... which work very good each time! I know that he can't put marker down for where he spot contact... but most of the time, his explanation are clear enough so I can find the target very fast.

But I agree Driver should be SL...
                  Play Tactical Gamer Only

Comment

There is NO substitute for clear communication. I know that in an average (defensive) tank battle, we will have taken a hit before I have time to place an attack marker on the enemy, or at least will have lost valuable time in marking him when I could be describing his position to the gunner.

I understand where everyone is coming from but I think Nardini got it right when he said 'it's just one more edge you have over your enemy'. You shouldn't be in a position where the driver is spotting things off to the sides of the tank, or you are likely already dead. The odds are usually piled in the favour of the side employing superior movement and fire tactics, not in whose SL reacts faster.

I think the little blue '0' under myself and ollie_fool's skulls in the rankings picture shows where my opinions have been formed, a well organised and disciplined tank squad rarely gets into a position where the driver and gunner are looking in different directions and need markers to pick up targets.
                    | |

Into the valley of Death
                      Rode the six hundred.

Comment

I was an SL in 6th INF...

On Kashan.

Eat your heart out, tanks.

BTW: Been saving that image for the past few days since I got it just for this occasion...
                      Skud

Comment

hey ollie, guess who was afk for half the round but still chipped in :P

Comment

When on elevated positions, make sure you conceal your silhouette, park next to a rock or a wall so your enemy can't spot it easily on the horizon.

Coax and the .50 MG at the top have tracer rounds, don't reveal your position by shooting them if you don't have too. Use HEAT.

Also, make sure you have a safe fall-back point for your tank, incase you get hit by a tank/H-AT and you do not know where it came from.

When you eliminate tanks, keep on an eye on the time when you killed them, so you can anticipate when they spawn, etc. That way, you can disregard thegreatnardini's comments about not using HEAT (which is better because you do not give away your position with tracer fire.)

As said the in the OP, Target importance from greatest to least are as follows: Tanks -> H-AT -> Bunkers/Firebases -> APCs -> Transports -> Infantry.

Most important thing of all: Communication, if you don't have it, you will fail.

Comment

Good thread!

I will add some:

# Never fire when on the move. Always stop to fire, if so only for a few seconds. Accuracy and actually hitting the target is more important than "scaring" the other tank and giving them a chance to react if you fire and miss.

# If not in stand-by mode, always stay on the move. If you engage an enemy tank, then fire --> move to a new firing position -->fire and so on...

# If fired upon [i.e. the enemy spots and fire on you before you have seen the enemy], use F-S-R-F [Fire - Smoke - Reverse - Flank]. Meaning of this being, if the enemy fire on you - then that gunner probably have you and your position clear in his sights and will fire again once he's reloaded. Therefor, return fire if possible; deploy smoke to cover yourselves; reverse [move from your location under the cover of smoke]; flank left or right [50-100m]; fire on the enemy.

# Unless way out in the desert on Kashan, always seek to have freindly infantry supporting your tank(s). If not, youre asking for it...Example being a lone tank (or two for that matter) messing around at North Village with enemy infantry in the ruins. Chances are quite high that your tanks will be taken out. Use infantry to screen in front of your tank when going in. If there isnt any infantry at your location, then request infantry-support from the CO.
                            sigpic
                            The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperMAC View Post
                              When on elevated positions, make sure you conceal your silhouette, park next to a rock or a wall so your enemy can't spot it easily on the horizon.
                              Right, and try to get into a hull-down position that covers you. And just a question how many tanks you kill?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X