This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This needs to stop!

Over the past month or so, I have noticed several things. These things need to stop. It is giving us a bad reputation in the PR community and we cannot afford to lose some possible TG members. This thread is not to "save face". We already have a outstanding reputation for having a solid server that offers solid teamwork and coordination. This thread is to enlighten you that we are slowly becoming one of those "elitist" clans that we worked so hard not to be! Please bear with me on this. Take these things to heart, because it is YOU, the server regular, that can make this happen. Not the admins, not the GO's, and not Apo.

1. Locking of Squads

How are we suppose to get new TG member's when all they see is 6 locked squads that contain TG members? Not all these guys know the rules, not all these guys know how we do things. I am a firm believer that the reason we have been seeing alot of rule breaking from pubbies is because they don't have the right leadership. This is due to not being able to join a TG squad. I have seen this done from both IHS's and TG regulars. Take the time to get to know some non-TG members and you will be surprised to see that most of them CRAVE teamwork and will learn the rules as you progress through the map. Lead by example gentlemen, that is all I ask. I would not be here if it wasn't for my mentor (John C.). He taught me a whole slew of things both how to Squad Lead...but more importantly, how to be a TG member. I understand that sometimes, you have a specialty squad that doesn't require a full squad. But we will get to that later.

2. "Elitist" attitude

This is becoming more and more of a problem and NEEDS TO STOP NOW. We are not here to show how awesome we are, we are not here to show that we are the best. We are neither of these things. We are here because we enjoy a mature atmosphere and quality teamplay. At the end of the day, I would rather lose a game and have stellar teamwork, than win and have to deal with everyones newly formed humongous heads. Sure, we kid around in Teamspeak, but when you type "pwned" or "owned" over all chat, it gives me a sickening felling in my gut. Who do you think you are...a 14 yr old kid competing in CAL CS:S open? No, all you did just now was demoralize everyone and gave us a this reputation that we are better than everyone.

3. Team Switching

What is there to say. It is becoming a problem that we need to nip in the butt. I cannot control this happening as an admin. It is up to YOU. Do not teamswitch because your team is losing. Do not teamswitch because you want to be on the winning side. Do not teamswitch because one side has jets/choppers. Stick with your team and you will be amazed on how well you and your team will do. Even though you may not win that particular round, you might win the next one. People often say that the since Team A has more TG members...that it is stacking. Not the case, it has to do with your attitude. Believe it or not...attitudes are contagious.

4. Asset Hogs

Yes...we all know who they are. But I am not calling them out. All I am saying is share them. Who cares if you are an ub3r 1337 A-10 pilot. You don't have to fly them every single time Kashan comes on. Yesterday was the first time that I flew one, and I tell you what....I suck at them. But I learned alot of new things and had alot of fun. Just because you wear the |TG| tag does not meant that you get dibs on them. Just because you loaded in first made and locked a squad does not mean you get dibs on them. What I am trying to get at is that SHARE THEM. If a different clan wants them, let them have it. There is no use to throw a world class hissy fit if you don't get them. But at the same time the CO has the final say. What I am suggesting is try letting some NON-TG guys get these assets once in awhile.

5. Bullying other players

What? Yes, bullying other players by constantly threatening to report them for this or that, or worse reporting people for stupid things that aren't even rules violations. We've seen it enough now, and quite frankly it's time to bring it to an end. Players wearing the TG tags, constantly threatening other players does not give a good impression of TG to the community. It makes us look terrible, in fact. It's time to end it. Take it upon yourself to know the server rules and really understand them, and quit abusing the !Reporting system and, most importantly, quit abusing other players.

I hope that you all take this to heart. I am not trying to pick on anyone here. I am merely attempting to open your eyes a little. We (myself included) have become complacent in these matters and we must strive for a shinier future.

Dirt
    Last edited by disposableHero; 08-18-2008, 06:00 PM.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: This needs to stop!

No argument here. Totally totally agree.

Comment

In full agreement with the original post, and will continue to stand behind what it says.
      sigpic
      The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Just one clarification. I assume it's ok to create a squad, lock it, invite those squad members you were playing with last round and then unlocking it again allowing the left over spots to be filled by the general public. I do want some control over who is in my squad such as my friends being in the same squad with me. However that being said, I promise to unlock the squad if it's not full for anyone to join in and fill that open slot. I also would like to be able to lock a squad if a squad mate gets disconnected, as that happens a whole hell of a lot on PR. Often they connect again and I invite them back into the squad. Is this ok?

P.S. - I reserve the right to repeatedly kick asshats from my squad and then locking it so they can't get back in and obviously soon to be followed by reporting said individual.
        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I am merely suggesting is to get some diversity in your squad. It is fine and dandy if you want to play with some friends...but try letting some new people in. You never know, you might just make another friend.

Rather than kicking "asshats" out of your squad...report them. If they don't listen to the SL, than that is a kickable offense.

Dirt
          "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

"Roger Rodger."
            "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
            "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Agreed. Good post Dirtboy.

:icon14::icon14:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I'd like a little clarification on the team switching rule. I know it's obvious that switching teams to get on the winning team is against the rules and switching to try to gain a particular asset is just as obviously against the rules, but what about swapping teams when you first join the server? I will normally look at the list of players and if the teams are even in number, I will sometimes swap to the other team to be able to at least get on the same side as my squad-mates so we can work together. We aren't always all in the same squad, but half the reason for being in TG is for the teamwork and it's much easier and usually more beneficial to the team to play with people you have worked with before. Is this acceptable or should we just default to the team we are put on when first joining the server? We in the 10th try not to give the impression of not stacking the teams and to allow non-10th members in our squads on most nights, but honestly, it's a fine line to walk and apparently you can't make everyone happy all of the time. But basically I just want to know if I am breaking a rule when I swap teams, when I first join the server or if this is acceptable, providing I am not unbalancing the teams. I'm not real sure the server will even let you swap teams if the numbers are not close to being even, but in any case, that is my question.

Comment

To some folks defense, I have seen some regulars in non-regular squads, like last night. I usually play with non-regulars and I have to say there are some really good team players that come to the server (and some that are not). I have also noticed regulars asking nicely if a less experienced squad wants to use assets. I was running a tank squad that wasn't the greatest in performance (actually one of the tanks sucked), but the regular squad supported us trying more than 2 runs at it on Kashan. I appreciate that, as it allows me to attempt to teach some non-regulars how things work, like tank turrets warming up and so on. Some newcomers are really unaware of the differences in PR. I am not advocating this is a training server, just pointing out that it is great to see some leeway for that and the sharing of assets.

It is tough to fight the urge to uber perform, but it is also very rewarding to do the things that don't get a ton of points, but help the team. That is my favorite part about squad leading - doing the right thing especally if it is defending a non point, yet important spot on the map or just supporting the commander. That is what I like most about TG - it is non-ranked so points don't matter.
                  sigpic

Comment

/read and understood.

Comment

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R&U

Thanks for posting this dirt, very much appreciated!!
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I agree on all of this, and it's probably been a problem in the community in the past, but it's just become blatantly obvious how bad it's getting now.

@ team switching, i think at the beggining of the game you should be able to switch teams (if you JUST joined the server). Another reason you might team switch is if you get kicked/CTD/disconnect/etc.I think you should be able to team switch in this case also.

I was once guilty of assets hoarding, but not nearly as bad as some people. You just need to know that you don't matter unless the commander says you do. So unless you have the commanders consent nothing belongs to you. If no commander it's a free for all, don't even say "CAN'T YOU SEE WE HAVE THE CAS SQUAD!?...GET OUT" (in reference to no one)

Comment

A timely reminder thanks, we all need to remember why we play on the TG Server. I for one have been guilty of hoarding certain kits and complaining in text when I can't get the kit I think I need to get the job done, something I am working on cutting out of my game.
                          We probably all slip in to bad habits now and again. Just need reminding now and again.

Good post.

Comment

Copy that!

My comments and remember this post is directed to us TG'ers, not new-comers.

1. Locking squads is ok for inviting 1-2 friends before unlocking it, special-mission squads or for doing a private training session every now and then.

2. Yup. TG is about teamwork, not skills and scores. Although the latter is offcourse fun done in a mature teamwork fashion!

3. I think teamswitching to team up with mates is ok, atleast that's what i do sometimes.

4. Commander makes the calls. With no commander it's whoever gets there first, and TK'ing or excuses afterwards are no-no's.

I'll add another general tip which i like. Try to be polite and patient with new-comers. You should even try to direct them to our forums. Remember this is how most of us got here in some form or another!

Comment

I think teamswitching is ok if you have just joined the server, or if you crash/disconnect and want to get back on the same team as your squad-mates/friends. Teamswitching just because your team is losing is not ok, it is very vanilla-ish.

Good post Dirtboy.
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X