Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Fire

USE IT!

How many times have you seen this situation since .75 patch came out? Your squad is moving in formation to a move order. You recieve incoming fire, identify the target, and everyone in the squad goes prone and starts shooting at them. Just like .7 patch or vanilla.

Let's step it up a bit now. SL's should make a quick decision now to engage or retreat. If you have a support gunner in squad, he should be the one peppering the target and someone should step up to the plate and say "FLANKING" and move on the target. If no support kit, SL should call out names of who covers and who pushes on the threat. I don't think any SL's will get mad if you move out to flank, unless fire conditions were pre-determined to hold fire. I have seen 3 guys this week really do a great job at this (Myx0lidian, Skud, Turkish), and it makes squad leading much easier to have guys taking initiative and knowing their new roles!
    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Re: Covering Fire

For sure! The support gun is a great asset, and even more so with the release of the new patch!
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Flanking really is a basic maneuver that should always be in use. Last week on Fools Road my squad was advancing towards the Warehouse, we laid a rallypoint and realized an enemy Firebase was about 100m in front of us behind the crest of a hill. Meatgrinder action ensued with support guns on both sides, until I managed to break off, cross the road and pick off the enemy gunner from the side. After that we were able to fall onto their position and take out the firebase with ease.
      |TG-6th|Belhade
      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Warehouse is right. I've seen some of the best squads go down just because they decided to cross a road without someone providing covering fire. It's quick, easy, and effective.

Marine says: Support Gunners are YOUR friend!

| |

Comment

Yeah, i need to up my adv. combat techniques. On mestia my squad went 30 kills and something like 90 deaths.

Comment

the 3 shot burst is your friend. Since the release and when I ask my squad to provide cover when I SL, i have mostly everytime said "use the 3 shot burst" it helps to keep peoples heads down especially with the newly added suppression effect, even when you are being suppressed, you can still shoot....and ten to one if u shoot at the same spot that an enemy was at before you got bleary eyed, you will have hit him, killed him or wounded him.

Covering fire is your friend, just because you don't have a SAW or heavy machine gun does not mean you can't give covering fire...don't be afraid of the 3 shot burst in the instance of covering fire its well warranted and highly recommended.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

i allways try to get a guy surpressing when crossing roads and stuff but it never seems to work on the enemy lol, only on my squad.

Comment

I find it odd how many squad members find the idea of withdrawing unpalatable.

For example, as warehouse was describing you have a squad moving in formation to a move marker. While on the way you come under fire, know the direction but cant see the target. Up ahead is an open area without much cover, but behind you is a small hill that can provide cover. Is it so wrong to have the squad fall back just a bit and hold position , re-directing their attention from moving forward to finding the targets shooting at them and eliminating them.

Spotting targets and observing is a key part of the game. Being able to let your attention move throughout the battle-field without actually having to move around is something i wish all my squad members can do. Holding tight and knowing that stuff is happening out there, you don't have to rush up to engage it. Using patience and good awareness it seems that the squad vrs squad does not have to be so movement based, being patient allows you to stay undeetected until the right moment so that you can have all of your shooters engaging simultaniuously, as opposed to seperate attentions within the squad each engaging differnt things.

ALl though, one thing is for certain. In terms of BF-2, it is always good to have a dude who impulsively rushes and tries to flank the enemy.
                listen close
                to the rat-tat-tat-
                as the metal flies,
                we should know as fact:
                that unearthly demons
                are part of our pack,
                and as we engage you
                in battle we pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post

Marine says: COVERING FIRE is YOUR friend!
                  Ahem. There we are Randy :)

| |

Comment

Originally posted by billyinorganic View Post

it is always good to have a dude who impulsively rushes and tries to flank the enemy.

Im glad someone said that

I find it odd how many squad members find the idea of withdrawing unpalatable.

Withdraw is good because it keeps your position an unknown. They may chase you, etc. Even if you die randomly out of sight then they wont know that for at least 30 seconds, it all adds up.

Often I'll be hopelessly pinned down but Im not the only friendly there. Instead of 'zomg you stole my kill', I let some other guy shoot my enemy easily because I have become the bait

People only really make an effort to do that with civilians but it works anywhere

Also even when suppressed you can counter suppress an enemy and its a form of defense to do so. If your out in the open then you might as well anyway

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                      the 3 shot burst is your friend. Since the release and when I ask my squad to provide cover when I SL, i have mostly everytime said "use the 3 shot burst" it helps to keep peoples heads down especially with the newly added suppression effect, even when you are being suppressed, you can still shoot....and ten to one if u shoot at the same spot that an enemy was at before you got bleary eyed, you will have hit him, killed him or wounded him.

Covering fire is your friend, just because you don't have a SAW or heavy machine gun does not mean you can't give covering fire...don't be afraid of the 3 shot burst in the instance of covering fire its well warranted and highly recommended.
                      Firing a single shot every time the sights drop back onto target is a good alternative for rifles without burst fire capability as it puts enough fire down to surpress without burning through magazines like full auto will.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminal Boy View Post
                        Firing a single shot every time the sights drop back onto target is a good alternative for rifles without burst fire capability as it puts enough fire down to surpress without burning through magazines like full auto will.
                        I do have a habit of doing that with the G3. When taking fire and the SL puts and attack marker on the enemy location, I will generally stand up and empty a full auto clip into the marker. It's like I'm saying 'I defy you Americans and your bullets!'
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X