A tip for CO noobs form a CO noob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tip for CO noobs form a CO noob

Two week ago I started tinkering with the commander role, I have always been a little scared of it because my native language is not English so when I get upset and angry my vocabulary shrinks down to that of a five year old child.

Well to make a long story short my first try did not go so well, after the round I was having a hard time saying ďgugu gagaĒ. My goal was to become great in less than 5 min and of course to be a great commander you imitated other great commanders. The around started with all squad running off to different object, then I start blurting out my brilliant plan (SQ 1,2&3 go over under and around the house etc..), when I was done with them they looked like someday had kicked an anthill, everybody was running around in circles and
    I got so much command chatter that I thought for sure I was getting the other teams com chatter as well. Needles to say I did not sleep well that night and decide to set my goals a little bit lower.

Now played a few games as CO there are few things I have come to realize that might help new CO that may be to obvious to experience commanders and not to the noobs.

1. Start in neutral: When you are trying for the first few games just stay out the way, donít try to dictate to SL but supply them with what they need and suggest or warn them if they need it. You can relay info, place firebases and report enemy activity. Most TG SL are experienced and fully capable of whining the game with a minor support from the CO. Just keep an eye on them and warn and/or suggest if you see them leaving area that needs protecting etc.

2. Explain yourself: When good commander tell SL where to go and what to do the SL will jump to do it. That is because they know and trust the CO. If a new CO tells a SL to go somewhere he probably will do it (this is TG after all) but first he will do what he thinks is more important. When you explain not only what you want the squad to but also why you want it to do it they are much more likely to respond faster and trust you sooner in the game.

3. Learn to use Voice: Simple one but important, when you command you only hear the SL you are not hearing all the chatter that is going on within the SLís squads so limiting the talk to one squad at a time when giving detailed instruction an anything that takes time. Also sending at brief general status report to all squads can help a lot.

Well I had a few more tips when I started writing this but sometimes I have the memory of a hamster so I have forgotten them. I will add them to the list if/when I remember.

Feel free to add to this if you have any pointers but keep in mind this meant for noobs like me so keep it simple

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: A tip for CO noobs form a CO noob

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post

1. Start in neutral: When you are trying for the first few games just stay out the way, don’t try to dictate to SL but supply them with what they need and suggest or warn them if they need it. You can relay info, place firebases and report enemy activity. Most TG SL are experienced and fully capable of whining the game with a minor support from the CO. Just keep an eye on them and warn and/or suggest if you see them leaving area that needs protecting etc.

3. Learn to use Voice

Feel free to add to this if you have any pointers but keep in mind this meant for noobs like me so keep it simple
    Good post. People like me who are a little shy of going commander due to lack of experience can appreciate some baby steps into getting into this role hehe.

From my experience in squads, the experienced squad leaders shouldn't need that much in the ways of orders or management.. intel and support is all that is really required :). For me, I see the commander as the main logistics of the operation..

They don't know everything there is to know about the battle, but they know where some of the key enemy components are (if squad leaders relayed info to them! <-- important for squad leaders to do). They can mark enemies on the map with landing zone markers, CAS markers, and also give pertinent squads a marker showing where the enemies are.

The other thing that a good commander should do is: limit the amount of voice comms you need to do. Use specific squad comms as much as you can (bring up commander screen, highlight the squads you want to send your voice message to and hold down your squad chat button, not the commander chat one.)

If you have to broadcast a message to all squads, do so concisely and clearly :). Squad leaders have a lot to listen to already (enemies, squad mates, commander, and also teamspeak)

That's all I have to say.. maybe one day I'll try commanding when there isn't anyone stepping up to the plate.. and try baby steps like you suggest :)

Baby commander:

1) Provide and Request for Intel/Supply lines/Additional Support units (armour, extra infantry)

2) Try not to micromanage too much.. give squad leaders their respective orders (defend/attack), but let them decide the best way to go about it (they have a better idea of where the enemies are usually)

3) Keep comms concise and relevant, utilizing specific-squad comms as required.

Lord of the Mangoes
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Comment

The biggest thing is to PLEASE don't hesitate to take up the CO role like Skylark has. You may not be as good, fast, or successful as the other COs at first, but that's really how everyone gets to where they are--through experience.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by LoveSkylark View Post
        1. Start in neutral: When you are trying for the first few games just stay out the way, donít try to dictate to SL but supply them with what they need and suggest or warn them if they need it.
        Best advice I've read on here in a while. Just because you are considering stepping up to be CO doesn't mean you have to be General George Patton. The team with a quiet but supportive commander will kick the crap out of the team without a commander 99 times out of 100. Also, let the SLs know you are learning the ropes and they will help.

|
        |

Comment

Good post! It is great to see people who are willing to take up the task of CO:ing, even if it is difficult at the beginning and that some people [players] tend to lack tollerance for people trying to learn. It is not like there are too many people willing to take up the role as a CO.

And from the perspective as an admin can I only say that I will encourage and support "learning" CO:s.
          sigpic
          The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

Absolutely the CO role is as scarce as they come. It's just about like pulling teeth to get someone to step up. Those of us that play CO a lot get tired of doing it after a while and always hope someone will step up so we can have fun in squads from time to time. I always encourage everyone who really wants to learn CO to give it a try. As an SL I always try to give tips or advice if the CO asks. I very much want to see a Commander Class (Basics and Advance) for Project Reality at TG University. I think it will help out a great many people and really give a boost to the Commander role.
            "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
            "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I commanded my first match the other night "Jabal".. what did I learn.?? The command post is your friend.. be carefull where you put it!

Comment

Yeah, I have never actually CO'd a full round of anymap. I once finished off the last 3/4 of one map of Kufrah, unfortunately the squad members werent listening to the SL's (so i was told) and we managed to get spanked all the way to the main base. I also finished off the last 15 min of Kashan desert just so i could drop the Jdam, we also got spanked all the way to main (not my fault).

I didnt have much fun when I did CO because we were already losing and people were giving up. Maybe ill try again sometime, when i feel people are going to listen and cooperate.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by JCTango View Post
                  The other thing that a good commander should do is: limit the amount of voice comms you need to do. Use specific squad comms as much as you can (bring up commander screen, highlight the squads you want to send your voice message to and hold down your squad chat button, not the commander chat one.)
                  This is so underused yet so important... I hate CO 's using nothing but the global chat.
                  Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X