Rules, Rules, Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules, Rules, Rules

More and more I see the addition of rules added to servers to control particular problems and annoyances. I can understand in warning/banning people who attack a main base with armor in the beginning of a match, that sort of behavior can ruin an entire game but the TG server is taking it to an extreme. I have been seeing a trend in the TG server that I know is discouraging new comers; it's the amount of server rules placed on the server. Rules like being in certain squads to fly helos, yelling at those who one man armor when the armor was sitting at our main with no one using them (Now when there are plenty of people wanting one that's different), yelling at squads for placing rally points outside of the combat zone (Does it really ruin your game that much?), kicking for firing HAT/LIGHT AT on infantry; that's ridiculous. Two of my buddies who live below me have been in Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom, just a few of their tours, and they got a kick out of the fact that a Reality MOD game server prohibited using an anti-tank weapon on infantry.

youtube.com/watch?v=XlbYHByydYo

youtube.com/watch?v=CY0AWLS82Uc

The PR DEV team has worked hard implementing their own rules into the game to have a punish for these things. Example: The HAT/LAT kits have been severely crippled, why the rules on it? One man armor is extremely crippled, if someone wants to one man it it's to their disadvantage, never a big deal when people refuse to man armor, why the rules on it? Those of us who want to fly, nothing like getting booted out of a CAS squad because the two guys in it want to fly, even though you waited just as long as they did...oh wait they have TG tags they can do whatever they want.

My point is that this TG server is putting rules on things that the PR DEV team has already put a natural punish system on. Why are we putting rules on things already handled well by the PR DEV team? I've played PR since it was just a weapons mod and been on the TG PR server since day 1 and it's sad to see it turn into a rule fest. Normally I'd avoid such a server and just join a different one but sadly PR has a very small player base when compared to other mods. It's also hard to beat the maturity level found on the TG server. I believe the TG PR server needs to readjust it's rules because there are simply to many of them. Remember, most people DON'T EVEN READ THE PR RULES now you're expecting more people to read server rules. Who the hell does that?!? A game will only last as long as it's player base stays, don't make it so difficult that a new person will be discouraged from playing.

As for assets, the current system sucks. Go back to a first come first serve basis until the PR DEV team can figure something out. Because assigned squads to certain vehicles is a joke. Who has the right to constantly fly the Cobra, A-10, etc just because he created a CAS squad and locks everyone out? I'm a big fan of flying a chopper for a while, then manning armor, then doing some infantry fighting. The darn maps last 2-3 hours now! When you make it a public server everyone has the right to fly, drive, shoot, any vehicle they wish.

I know most of you disagree with my statements, it's expected. Since most of you are the ones who created the rules but it doesn't make what I'm saying absurd. Putting rules on a server is like putting rules on a TV channel and expecting viewers to read those rules before watching....

I've had good gaming experiences with 9/10 TG members but it's that 1/10 who whines and cries about every little thing that really can ruin a game for me. The guy who's typing !reporting member for calling me a bad name, !reporting member for sitting on my helo, !reporting member for bunny hopping. Man up ladies!

As for me, I'm a United States Coast Guardsmen and serve as an AET onboard an HH-65c. That's the orange Coast Guard chopper for you civvies. I'm not some punk kid who likes to cause trouble but someone who enjoys serious military sims. I just want the bad TG atmosphere to go away and the good part to stay (Maturity).

Re: Rules, Rules, Rules

I understand where you're coming from, but our rules are in place to keep the gaming as balanced as we can. It is true that some rules may be out-dated, such as the Heavy AT sniping rule, but the admins are currently discussing a solution. Regardless, however, they are the server rules and everyone has to follow them whether they like it or not. This may be a game, but it needs to be regulated. Every game has rules, whether it be PR or Monopoly. You tell people to man up, but we use the reporting feature to keep our server clean of idiots and rule-breakers that ruin the game for everyone else. Otherwise it would just be another Karkand ff off 24/7!!! server.

You may not like the rules we have, but many other people do. There is a reason we are the #1 PR server out there, and that is in part because we have a strict rule set that we enforce heavily. It makes the game more fun for everyone, and is what differentiates us from a pubby server.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Hey SpanishSurfer, welcome to the TG forums. If you haven't noticed, we already have three different threads about rules on the front page alone (here,here, and here) Obviously, we realize that there are some problems and our admins and community members are thinking hard about how to solve these issues. Also, remember that the CO has final say when it comes to squad assignments and vehicles.

Welcome to TG,

Charity

Comment

I know all about chain of command but it only works when you have a qualified individual who knows what he's doing. It sounds good to say the CO has the final say but in reality it doesn't work on a public server. The CO does not know who the best people are for the job and a large part of the fun factor is lost when you assign everyone to a particular job. This is not the actual military, having to do the same thing over and over gets boring. If you think that it's a good idea to let a 15 year old kid from Germany tell everyone what to do then I'd like to have some of what you're smoking and then arrest you for possession. ;-)

Comment

Since I was the admin on babysitting the server when the incident occurred that prompted the OP, I'll comment.

There was already a squad created for the choppers and had them allocated to it by the CO. Spanish was not in this squad.

While the chopper squad was waiting for a helo to spawn, Spanish got his pilot kit and got in the chopper when it spawned (or something very similar - bottom line is he was not authorized to be in the helicopter).

The squad leader began complaining and an argument ensued. I stepped in and asked the CO if he had indeed assigned the helo squad the helicopter assets. He confirmed that he had. At this point, you should have turned over the helicopter, and you were on the verge of being removed from the server for not following CO orders. This is a rule that we enforce on the server:

4) All players are REQUIRED to FOLLOW ORDERS from their squad leader and commander.
          Well, I thought I'd try to get the players to resolve it like adults and asked the helo squad to invite Spanish and take turns - you know, like adults are supposed to do. Well, the SL continued to argue and rant and after repeated warnings was removed. He has voiced his displeasure with me already on the boards.

We have the rules regarding assets so the CO can do his job effectively. By assigning assets to a certain squad, he knows who has what and how to maneuver those assets as he sees fit during the match. It is called TEAMWORK - something TacticalGamer is very big on. If we let just anyone take an asset, odds are that his SL won't know about it and probably hasn't approved his squad member doing it. It also helps keep squads together, so you don't have the pilot squad spawning at the main only to find nothing there for them to fly, and now they are a long way away from the front where they can help. I could go on and on, but I hope you see at least a little bit of logic to this.

The bottom line is this: we don't think any one person is bigger than his other 31 teammates. Play like a member of a team, and help the team win. If you aren't in the pilot squad, then so be it and go do something else. Ask for an invite if you want to fly so bad, but if they say no then handle it like a mature adult and just move on.

Originally posted by SpanishSurfer83 View Post
          I know all about chain of command but it only works when you have a qualified individual who knows what he's doing. It sounds good to say the CO has the final say but in reality it doesn't work on a public server. The CO does not know who the best people are for the job and a large part of the fun factor is lost when you assign everyone to a particular job. This is not the actual military, having to do the same thing over and over gets boring. If you think that it's a good idea to let a 15 year old kid from Germany tell everyone what to do then I'd like to have some of what you're smoking and then arrest you for possession. ;-)
          Please don't disrespect the other players who populate our server by generalizing them in the way you have done. That type of attitude will not be tolerated here.

So far, in the two days I've seen you on the server, you've mentioned repeatedly that you are in the Coast Guard (thank you for your service - this is meant sincerely) and that you are hoping to get into flight school. Great, and I hope you are successful. However, this doesn't make you the most qualified to fly a helicopter in a video game. I know of several real pilots that play PR and most of us absolutely suck at flying jets. The only thing that translates is keeping the pointed end going forward and the dirty side down.

So, I would suggest that you take the time to read our server rules and SOPs. Here is are links to them:

TG Primer

Server rules

SOPs

We don't care if you disagree with the rules or find them contradictory to the real world - there is a reason for every one of those rules and they will be enforced by the admins. Please remember that.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I thought the point of PR was to simulate real world combat?

As for me mentioning the USCG, I realize video game flying and real world flying are two different things, sorry that I kept mentioning it. I only added that to emphasize I'm not Joe Bloe who knows nothing of what he's talking about.

Some of the rules on the server are flawed and since the server has a forum I think I'll complain about what I think is wrong with them, that is one of the purpose of a forum is it not? Also, that whole "I won't let you disrespect everyone," that's a bunch of baloney, I never did such a thing. What I used was clearly of an example of how following the CMDRS orders every time can lead to problems. Don't try and make me look like the bad guy. I was directed here by some of the TG guys to talk about what I saw needed to change on the TG server, so here I am!

Comment

Hey surfer....

If Im not mistaken, your incorrect about the assets rule. Naming your squad JETS and going all pilots DOES NOT give you claim to the attack aircraft. You may be more inclined to argue with players to get the jets in that squad (especially if you got there first) but it does NOT give you anymore right to pilot that jet.

What DOES give you absolute authority to be the only one to use that jet is if the commander assigns your squad to that asset. And that is the #1 rule that I enjoy unquestionably on the TG server. The fact that the commander has REAL disciplinary action he can use to keep his squads in line. Most commanders on the TG server rarely use this power, but (if im not mistaken) a commander has the final say on everything that is going on with the team. If you tell a squad to defend an area, and he refuses and attacks instead, even after repeatedly asking the squad to follow your orders, you can have this squad leader kicked from the server immediately, no questions asked. I think this is awesome and is truly lacking in most other servers, because this means that a Commander can make a battle plan, and actually have it carried out by your troops!

Of course having a crappy commander in the hotseat is going to suck if he starts getting kick happy, but I have yet to see it happen, usually because most players are very nervous in the commander seat because it is quite a huge step up in responsibility from other mods/vanilla.

Theres another thread discussing server rules right now surfer if you have already seen it go check it out.

Comment

As for me mentioning the USCG, I realize video game flying and real world flying are two different things, sorry that I kept mentioning it. I only added that to emphasize I'm not Joe Bloe who knows nothing of what he's talking about.

Some of the rules on the server are flawed and since the server has a forum I think I'll complain about what I think is wrong with them, that is one of the purpose of a forum is it not? Also, that whole "I won't let you disrespect everyone," that's a bunch of baloney, I never did such a thing. What I used was clearly of an example of how following the CMDRS orders every time can lead to problems. Don't try and make me look like the bad guy. I was directed here by some of the TG guys to talk about what I saw needed to change on the TG server, so here I am!
                Not making you out to be the bad guy - go re-read the part about the "15-year old kid from Germany" part that you wrote again. Your words, not mine.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

It does within the limits of the original BF2 engine. It's not perfect but I think the popularity of the TG PR server speaks for itself.

I don't mean to put you down in anyway, but being a member of the Coast Guard does not make you more of an expert than other people on the server, some of which are in other branches of the military or in other countries and who have actual combat experience.

While the forum is here for TG members and players to have a place to discuss different topics about the games, servers and similar topics, it is important for you to understand that a lot of these topics have been discussed many times in the past and just because your opinion is that the rules are "flawed", that may not be the case considering the original intent of the TG community and the game in question. While we welcome your opinions and even the criticism, you do come off with a bit of an attitude in your posts and that's not really the best way to get your point across.

I'd also like to comment on your post in the Introductions thread that I have quoted here:

New to the site not the server or mod. Been playing on PR since it was just a weapons mod. I bought BF2 thinking FH2 would come out sooner and found PR to be it's replacement. To my amazement they surpassed the FH2 mod and find new and innovative ways to make the game more enjoyable. I'm a 24 year old AET for the USCG and have been on active duty for a year now. The platform I repair and rescue those in need is on the best chopper in the world, the HH-65c Dolphin. I plan on going to flight school within the next year or so once all my paperwork goes through. The TG community is one I enjoy playing with but can't stand all the rules placed on a battlefield, to me that's just an oxymoron.

First off, welcome to TG (a bit late at this point, but oh well) and I can't help but comment on the "rules on a battlefield" being an oxymoron. If this is what you truly believe, then you actually don't know what you are talking about. A battlefield needs rules, both on the TG server and in real life. You have the chain of command, treaty and organizational standards as well as the Rules of Engagement at the basic level. A battlefield with no rules and no guidance is chaos and a complete waste of resources regardless of who wins.

Comment

Disposable you are just a freaking hater! You always ruin everones fun! No wonder I can't achieve "level 60 mage SpEc AwPs H4x0r status"!

Darn you disposable, darn you! I hope that a one man tanker will someday strip you of your god powers, and make you drink from a donkey's drinking pond!
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Oh you didn't know? I AM a level 70 Spec Ops/Officer muticlassed with Crewman at 42 lvl. And I have uber 1337 gear also!
                      "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                      "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Spanish it’s very simple; learn how thinks work around here before you start judging them.

Without the TG server rules this server would be just like any other frag hunting, dolphin diving, one man squad server out there. If that is what you want then what the hell are you doing here?

It’s not about having the best pilot in the copper and the best gunner in the tanks it about TEAMWORK and everybody that wants should get a chance to play any role needed on the server at some time. Almost everyone here has VOIP and communicates regularly within the game and those that don’t are usually so dedicated that they are willing to be mute in a community where everyone talks. In fact this is the only server I can play on where using call sign and calling out Roger!, Copy!, Wilco, etc.. does not make me feel silly.

That does not mean if you have never used a chopper that you should just jump in but as long as you as capable you should get a chance to play.

Mouthing off to member that has been here for a long time and everybody respects is alls not the way to people on your side.

So relax start slow, most boring roles on other server can be quite fun when you play on a TG server, cause its TEAMWORK all the way.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

There are lots of servers out there, with no rules, and many others with very little, that run PR.
                          sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

I have to agree with the rest of the TG guys here, without the server rules it would be completely different. We often go on other servers such as the battle arena to play albasra and some of the thing you see on there are just so unrealistic compared with what you get on the TG server, for example, i was playing yesterday and on the insurgent team and a brit was lying in a field while i had a sniper kit, but thenn i noticed a huge rocket strapped to his back and a little yellow dot infront of him, now i dont think i can speak for the military as i'm only 16 but would you realy wast a $**** rocket on 1 lighly armed enemy?
                            And this is why you shouldn't one man tanks, i think he could have used a second opinion as to whether the challenger 2 was amphibious.

Comment

While I see the advantages of having a cmdr that must be obeyed I also see some downsides. For example what's to prevent "buddies" from assigning each other into squads they know they want to be in (CAS, Tank, etc) while preventing other people from flying or tanking?

**SIDENOTE**
                              Someone previously mentioned the USCG doesn't go into combat, go on google and search USCG Taclet.

Ollie_Fool, ask yourself this; You're getting shot at, you have a javelin on your back, how much is your life worth? A javelin missile costs about $75,000 the DOD gets about 1/2 a trillion dollars every year. That's .000015% of their budget, I know they won't mind.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X