CO Sabatical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Sabatical

For the next few weeks I will not be stepping up to command. I know I am not the best commander, but I have found myself doing it lately because no one else has been stepping up especially once a round starts. So I ask you fellow members of this community, even if you have never done it, try it!

I always find it funny how squadmembers say "We need a commander." "Someone needs to command"
    But rarely when someone replies "Why don't you step up to command?" they apply for it. Normally their reply is "I'm not good" or "I've never done it before." Well there is a first time for everything.

I do want to acknowledge and thank McGann and Cataphract for stepping up these last few times when i have been on and taking the helm when no one else wants the job especially on kashan 16, qwai, and fools road. You both have done excellent jobs. And to ristin who last sunday on Qwai stepped up to command on PW night for the first time on the USMC team and lead us to a great defensive victory.

So this goes out to those who might not think they have it in them.......try it..be polite, read the manual, watch charity cases tutorials.
    Communication tip:
    highlight the squad you wish to talk to and press 'b' (trick i learned from nardini). That way you talk to squads seperately, and its useful a lot of the time. Play around with it, see what it is like, and have a mic!

Is it in you?
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: CO Sabatical

The only thing I will add to this is if you do try CO and it is a new position to you, listen to the experienced squad leaders. Understand the game dynamics and what flags you need to hold to start the bleed and what flags are simply too costly to take. Tickets are the bottom line and wasting resources will lose the game just as quick as if you never leave the Main. The first thing to do is organize your squads to move to the initial flags at the start, then place your CP, and take it from there. Again, listen to your SLs, they have the eyes in the field and the experience to know what to do in their situation. As CO, you are the chess player, the strategist, the one holding the puppet strings. Your job is to guide the army into battle and decide when to fall back and when to move forward. I personally suggest that if you are new, that you play conservatively and don't try any heroic actions or trying to wipe the enemy off the map. Chances are you will be up against a more experienced CO and some maps are simply geared more to a certain team and you are at a disadvantage from the start. Think about who is in the squads and what you know them to be capable of. Don't send a squad that has H-AT and HMMWVs w/TOW against an infantry position where there is no armor. Send them against a wave of vehicles or tanks where they will be most useful. Don't waste important vehicles or kits. Again, play conservatively.

With all that said, I don't play the CO position myself. I have though of it a lot and tried it many times in vBF2 and I quite simply prefer the role of a simple Engineer. It's a matter of taste I suppose. Well, that and I love to blow **** up...

Comment

I usually command, when no one wants to command.

At least if they call me crap, I can just say that "Well, at least you have a commander, where you didn't before"... but I don't generally get this feedback, I usually try to get the squads to setup firebases, while I direct where the squads go and pass on information from one squad to the other. I find commanding in PR OK, however it's not as fun as going round in a squad shooting things up, which is probably why people don't want to command. However if you see me on the TG server, I sure will command if no one else does. :) (I used to be afraid of commanding) ;0 Now I don't give a crap.

If you haven't given commanding a go, I would suggest you do, as you learn quite a lot from it, like when the jdam activates etc. (Plus if you find Charity as a squad leader, listen to him, he gives a lot of great tips and things that you wouldn't just stumble on)
      Vlexo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
        For the next few weeks I will not be stepping up to command. I know I am not the best commander, but I have found myself doing it lately because no one else has been stepping up especially once a round starts. So I ask you fellow members of this community, even if you have never done it, try it!

I always find it funny how squadmembers say "We need a commander." "Someone needs to command"
        But rarely when someone replies "Why don't you step up to command?" they apply for it. Normally their reply is "I'm not good" or "I've never done it before." Well there is a first time for everything.

I do want to acknowledge and thank McGann and Cataphract for stepping up these last few times when i have been on and taking the helm when no one else wants the job especially on kashan 16, qwai, and fools road. You both have done excellent jobs. And to ristin who last sunday on Qwai stepped up to command on PW night for the first time on the USMC team and lead us to a great defensive victory.

So this goes out to those who might not think they have it in them.......try it..be polite, read the manual, watch charity cases tutorials.
        Communication tip:
        highlight the squad you wish to talk to and press 'b' (trick i learned from nardini). That way you talk to squads seperately, and its useful a lot of the time. Play around with it, see what it is like, and have a mic!

Is it in you?
        What...?
        You're an awesome commander!

Comment

I just don't really like to command. Not enough action in the job, and too much insubordination.

Comment

Originally posted by oldirti View Post
            I just don't really like to command. Not enough action in the job, and too much insubordination.
            don't knock it until you have really tried it.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I've commanded about 15 games total of the like 4-5 months of playing PR...i've only have like 7 good games which is about 50%. I'm not feeling those odds ^_^.

Comment

Im with olddirty on this one, lately theres been too much insubordination, that I sometimes think i might as well retire.

The other day on OGT I was the com and three guys had made spec ops sq's. I am of the oppinion that spec ops dont pay off in the long run rather have inf sq's of 6 and no specops. anyways I told these guys my opinion and told them to disband their sq's 2 of them replied that I needed them and the last guy did as I told him and made an inf sq. I then made an argument with these guys that I had plenty experience commanding and that I had never used spec ops and usually win when people do as I tell them. well then after about 10 min of trying to get them (and the rest of the team for that matter) to do as I let them go. Then 45 min in I quit in frustration that nobody was doing anything usefull.
                The only guy that did as I told him was the one that I had gotten to dispand his spec ops team.

I have more tales like this one, on the TG server I expect people to follow orders wich I dont on alot of other server, thou lately I have seen a different pattern when I com on TG I get angry and frustrated because no one listens to the com while other server have upped their game alot I the last month or so

so just as a side note when in game and you see the commander writing an order to get your sq to do something, if he doesnt do it please remind him that he should follow the com's orders. it makes commanding alot easier and more enjoyable.
                If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

I command a fair % of the games I end up playing, and honestly, it is not fun. Few squads listen, even fewer think of the "big picture" and when the boots on the ground can't accomplish the objectives, the commander get's flak for their lack of performance. Kinda like being acountable for every squads actions, but none of the squads are accountable to you.... I do it because I want to win rounds, and I want to have functional firebases where they are needed. But there is hardly any incentive to do it for fun, as most of the time it is tedious and fustrating. Hell, I don't even get credit for the guys I kill in normal combat!

Honestly the problem with commander is not that it is "too hard" but that it is "hard enough". Beyond the numerous UI/commo rose functions that have to be clearly understood to just function, the sheer difference a strategic and competent commander can make in a map means those who are not-so-good or new to it can dramatically effect the performance of thier team, which is a shame as it discorages people to do it casually.

I honestly only have "fun" being commander when after the work (firebases, bunkers, etc) is done I run around rambo'ing the enemy and making havok where they don't expect it. The commander position is fun for the strategy when squads listen to your ideas, but the actual position is more "work" than "fun" most nights. That is what keeps people from doing it. It is too much work and far too little personal reward. At least a couple TG guys make a point of thanking the commander at the end of a round, this is a great thing to do and is much appreciated.

Just my 2c

Comment

I know that I can be quite annoying as a commander sometimes.

There are different ways of commanding. Sometimes, you need to have faith in your SLs rather than complain about insubordination. Sometimes you need to trust a SLs judgment; they know the situation best. This is NOT (Despite what some people have said) C&C, it is far from it. Your units are human, and they have judgment.

I like commanding, sometimes. I just have a basic plan, and listen to my SLs. The commander can only do so much. He can assign, delegate, co-ordinate and support, but he cannot win if he has SLs with bad judgment.

I have fun being commander. Most squads give it their best shot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but hey, it's just a game.

Comment

onemanwreckingcrew, prwars wood, myself, fligsnurt, sanction and a few others whom I haven't seen enough to recognize their names seem to be commander at late night quite often. So much so that when we have made up our minds we are not going to command for a while we will not command at all until we have gotten our squad fill. And even then we are usually the SL for our squads. We would rather lose the game and have fun playing in a squad than go commander and gives our team the chance.

Are we being selfish? I don't think so. I think we and players like us put countless hours into commanding and get absolutely no thanks for doing it. Well that's not true we do get pats on the back and good jobs from the SLs in some matches but that's really about it. Is commanding fun? Yes but you can only go so far with that role. If you have a great team with SLs willing to follow your commands and who give you feed back then commanding is awesome and well worth the experience. However patience is the number one virtue needed as a commander and without that you might as well hang up your gloves right now. A commander without patience is very short lived.

It has gotten so bad recently that some of us actually go commander just to put down a command post and build a couple of bunkers and/or firebases and then resign and go back into our squads. Why? Not because we are trying to handicap the team but because we are sick and tired of taking the load of commander and seeing the diminishing returns from the position. We are sick and tired of SLs who refuse to listen to the commander and do their own things. This includes some regulars on the TG server who are members of TG.

In short, after my bitch fest, we aren't getting paid to be commander and so it's time for someone else to pick up the slack, suck it up and learn to be commander. Trial by fire. I'm willing to give advice as a SL anytime as long as that advice is actually listened to. You wouldn't be the first commander I've given lessons to over VOIP and you certain would not be the last.

Let me stress again the need for a TG University Class on Commanding in PR Basics and Advanced
                      "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                      "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

yeap i agree kilroy - you have good SL and commanding is a load of awesome....

you have squad leaders who refuse orders, or just plain dont listen to you, well then what the hell is the point?

I love it as commander when you get constant intel reports from squads, they let you know what they are doing, they let you know of enemy troops movements, when they kill important enemy assets, etc.

I hate it as commander when I issue orders and get vague replies and no one is talking. Then I see them all killed and ask them what happened, they say "Tank got us" and Im like What tank!??! You never told me you were fighting a tank, I have HAT standing by.... Those kind of rounds are so frustrating... At times Commanders just feel like they are build order monkeys and thats it hehhe

But yea when you get those good squad leaders who listen, who give you good feedback and can keep their squad alive for longer than 10 seconds, and who realize its not always about tard rushing the next flag, it can be a really amazing round!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                          you have squad leaders who refuse orders, or just plain dont listen to you, well then what the hell is the point?
                          Please, PLEASE report these players to the admins on TS so that we can remove them from the server promptly. We don't want players like that on our server.

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

rgr but its very difficult.

Ill have a squad leader that i give an order to, and he tells me 'well i want to do this instead'... I look at the map, I think about the 2 decisions, if I can make a compromise Ill make a compromise, but most of the time the thing the squad leader wants to do just goes against the plan I had in mind, and MOST of the time that squad leaders decision is purely based on getting a few more kills/get into the fight faster/frag faster... INSTEAD of what the team needs may be.

So we have the dilemna where I as a commander dont want to feel like a prick because a squad leader doesnt want to do what I want him to do. The absolute worst is when I get in a verbal argument with a squad leader about what he thinks is the best thing to do. As a SL I will usually tell the commander when I think he gave me a poor order, but if he tells me he understands he knows its a poor order but nonetheless wants it carried out, I will carry it out to the best of my ability, cause I know maybe I dont know the whole picture.

So anyways, I dont like reporting SL that disobey orders cause I dont want to feel like an ******* but I hate it when a SL refuses to see your plan of action as valid.

Case in point tonight the round on Qwai River USMC before password night, I gave up after 2 squads (squad 1 and squad 7) refused to pull back and defend the estate after we made a major offensive. If they would have pulled back and dug in for defense, we would have probably caught up in tickets then we could have made another major offensive and taken the whole map. Instead I had BOTH squad leaders verbally disagreeing with me and telling me what I should do. Both of these squads had very high deaths and both had negative kill-to-death ratios. I left the commander position cause I didnt want to deal with the headache of getting these 2 kicked, and we lost the round...

Comment

The way I see it...rules are rules. If they don't want to listen to the commander like they are required then they can play on another server.

Deal with the situation as you would a young child. With discipline, they will find out what is acceptable and what isn't through trial, error, and guidance by peers and higher authority. But without any consequences for inappropriate conduct, one might feel inclined to commit a previous crime or offense...as they will feel that they can get away with it, since they have in the past with no punishment or reprimands.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X