Helo insertion etiquitte

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helo insertion etiquitte

If you are being dropped off by a helo remember to LAY DOWN as soon as you get out so that the chopper can fly away without hitting you!

Its just a bit annoying for pilots to go through the trouble of a difficult insert only to kill half the squad he dropped off when he tries to get the hell out of dodge.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Helo insertion etiquitte

lol, all I'm thinking when im out of the chopper is "Book it!" Ah occupational hazards...

Comment

Another thing that is helpful is to have a mini gunner in the pilot squad. Last night on 16 player kashan it would have really helped when the defensive marker went on at the north village flag....I have yet to see a Transport squad use this all the time. thats what the mini guns are there for, and especially when you are picking up a squad in a hot zone it will only be a plus to a squad running to the chopper, because by fire the mini gun near/where the enemy is a) kills them and b) puts the suppression effects in place where its harder for them to shoot back accurately.

Also, if you call in a chopper make sure your squad is in place....and is ready to get on board, nothing more tense is having a chopper land, and then the SL saying "wait a second, we are all not here." or "hold on i have a guy who needs to get a kit."

Call for the chopper when you are all ready, or if you know someone is spawning in, in ten seconds and u think it will take 15 seconds for the transport to get there, then ask for transport.

but then again, this should all be relayed to the commander and then the commader will relay it to the transport squad. Nothing is more confusing when people say "we need a pickup, or pick me up here"

can we move this to Battlefield 2 tactics? I think it might be a good topic for that forum.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Ah yes, I really hate it when that happens. Another heli insert/extract thing that it would be nice if everyone did is if when a squad requests a heli extract, they do not stand on the only piece of open, flat ground for miles around. Please, let the heli land and then move towards it.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Give the helo guns the ability to fricken look down the sites the same as on the MG on light vehicles and perhaps they might be more effective. As they are now you spray and pray. I kind of laughed at some in the mini-guns on that Kashan 16 map last night. I'm walking slowly across open ground from South Bunker to North Bunker the BH opens up on me. The bullets literally land at my feet and go all around me and I didn't get hit once. I didn't even take any damage. It was absolutely moronic. I should have been dead bleeding out of bullet holes the size of my fist. Instead I continued to walk towards N.Bunker unhindered.

BH Mini-guns are disgraceful.
          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

When I fly a transport helo, I do my very best to land on flat ground and take off vertically so no one gets hit with the landing gear. This, however, is never the usual case. I get a few TKs every round from flying transport helos, and it would be really nice if everyone followed Switch's advice.

He is our transport helo man. Listen and you shall be enlightened.

Another thing I like to do is hover extremely close to the ground so that infantry exiting will take little or no damage. I excercise this tactic when landing in mountainous/overall uneven terrain (Jabal especially). It's a lot easier to take off vertically this way, not clipping anyone's head off.

Lastly, I have to agree with both Randy and kilroy. The mini-guns on the Black/Seahawk are excellent tools for insertion in hot zones and light CAS. I do wish they had some sort of aiming reticule, but I'm not entirely positive the guns have those in reality. Another interesting thing I'd like to point out is that in reality, the mini-guns don't have a "warm up" time (the slow spinning with no bullets exiting the gun). I noticed that this was actually fixed on the first day TG got the new squadless kick enabled, but later was not there when I tried the days afterward. On that day, the gun fired right when you pressed the trigger, still with the warm up animation, but there were bullets flying out right as you clicked your mouse.
            Last edited by MarineSeaknight; 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM. Reason: speeeeeliging.

| |

Comment

Yea definitely good tips.

Especially about pickups. Keep your squad close and altogether. Getting the helicopter should only take a few seconds and then hes in the air. He should never be on the ground for longer than 10 seconds... otherwise expect to get killed.

Comment

Great great great job bringing this up! I hate it when i run people down because sometimes you get the new guys in and they punish you!
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

i have only two things to say about helo extr/insert. #1, DO not run infront of a landing chopper. #2, Shooting at the chopper does not get you a ride, it gets u a pissed pilot wanting to cutt u up with its blades..

Comment

Hi all,

Another thing thats really annoying is when troopers get in the chopper and let the mini guns rip constantly, i cant think, let alone hear voip comms.

Settly down on those guns especially as it gives away our approach.

Cheers
                    seeya on the battlefield

Comment

I have one more Helo etiquitte.

If a Squad is trying to sneak around and flank an objective, the last thing he needs is a Helo following him in hover mode letting the world know where the INF is on the ground. It's no joy all around.
                      What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

Killing threads since 2007

| |

Comment

I find piloting helicopters the most thankless job in the game.

Make a mistake and whole mobs are having a go at you via the team chat, giving their opinon.

Just think: The Helicopters are hard to fly. Pilots have to land safely, they have to usually land safely whilst under fire, they have to get you there usually recieving fire, they have to fly low, manouvering over terrain to avoid fire to get to a destination - and then may have to dodge fire and terrain in an instant to try to save all on board; which are very difficult circumstances.

Punishing a heli pilot for a TK under hot landing, or even landing purposes is silly. Give people respect for the thankless job of flying about, not in the fun gunbattles, and then dying with you when something goes wrong. And then get attitude from others.

Laying down in a safe or semi safe area is fine. However, laying down is one way of getting cover for an infantryman under fire, but usually a dash to the rocks (etc) very shortly after is safer - just dont punish the pilot as he tries to get the hell outa there too (and if the helicopter blows up in the process, the game may register the pilot killed you, and so gets a punish anyway).

Big up for the heli pilots! Give them respect. Hard hard things to fly in this game, let alone the real thing. Allow for them instead of the 'my sensitivities have been abused' button.

(from a PR grunt)
                        Last edited by Taip3n; 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM. Reason: syntax

Comment

Originally posted by McGann View Post
                          I have one more Helo etiquitte.

If a Squad is trying to sneak around and flank an objective, the last thing he needs is a Helo following him in hover mode letting the world know where the INF is on the ground. It's no joy all around.
                          My thoughts exactly. If you are not flying a mission, stay the hell back. Why are pilots risking the asset at all if it's not needed in the air? It should be back at the Main waiting for someone to call on them. The sheer idiocy of hovering over a squad who is trying to be stealthy is beyond me. I'm not mentioning names, but you guys know who you are. If you want to joyride, go join and empty or local server. If you want to impress us with your flying skill, wait until there is an opportunity. I am much more impressed by a pilot who can fly Nap of the Earth and get us inserted safely, or one who can fly evasive manuvers extracting us from a hot LZ than one flying at treetop level, ghosting a squad's position for no reason. If the CO wants you to scout somewhere, try to stay away from any friendly squads on the ground. Light vehicles with MGs on top just love to go investigate enemy helos in their territory since they think they are dropping off troops. If you ghost over a squad or fly in their area, you are just going to draw unwanted attention and put their mission in danger.

Comment

I agree I have been chopped by a chopper many times and it really sucks. My best advice Is as soon as you drop men off pitch forward instead of sideways

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                              I agree I have been chopped by a chopper many times and it really sucks. My best advice Is as soon as you drop men off pitch forward instead of sideways
                              That's not the point. The point is that sometimes pitching forward is not the feasible option due to terrain or other obstacles. The point here is for the INFANTRY being dropped off to give a little something back to their thanked-less pilot and duck so he doesn't get any TKs when leaving the LZ.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X