somebody call the PR whammmbulance!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somebody call the PR whammmbulance!

This is my rant. I have had one before, but i am really tired of people complaining in global/team chat on the server. Think before you type out what you are going to say, you have that option. You have the option of also choosing whether or not you respond to someone else's statement. I find it annoying when someone says "apc located at d6k8" and then someone says "whoa man did you see that chopper fly by" and its followed by at least 5 "lol, or rofl, or roflsaurus"....or if someone decides to complain or expressed discomfort.

It really is annoying, if you want to chat, go talk on AIM. If you have computer problems check out the forum within TG dealing with computers, hop onto TS and during the next loading time of a map ask someone a question and they might be able to answer it in the appropriate amount of time or direct you to someone who can help.

Its just very confusing and frustrating, and it over saturates what the premise of global/team chat is used for.

I am also at the boiling point of the whole locked squad issues.....it happens, deal with it. Locked squads can serve a purpose, plus on kashan you will automatically see a 4 or 5 man locked CAS squad. Without a doubt. Locked squads are not limited to TG members, many pubs use them more than TG regulars(TG regulars is not limited to those who sport the tg tag).

Over the last few months, there has been an overwhelming amount of complaining, whining, and it has found its way to the forums. It has taken away from what these forums on PR are for, we are to discuss the many aspects of Project Reality. and there are many topics about PR here at TG. There are also at least 10 topics about why you might have been kicked for a supporting member. There are also threads within the battlefield 2 section of TG dealing with AARs and tactics, where some topics here regarding helo's or commanding could be very useful. But if you post something here that might belong in those threads, just copy and past it, give your outline, and people will comment and also share their views.

It's time we all took a step back, and stop whining and complaining, yes for some really strange reason transport helo's and sniper rifles and tanks and jets are just as popular in PR as they are in Battlefield 2, its life. Players like to use specialty weapons, so be it. In some cases is good to have a locked squad regarding those assets, and a name with those assets.

Do you find yourself not flying or tanking much? Hop on TS ask if someone is forming a armor or helo or infantry squad.....ten to one you will get an invite.
    Ask on Team chat if you could be an engineer or maybe switch up gunning and driving, if the squad is full, don't pout, join a different squad and maybe the next round or a few rounds after that ask again and you will be able to join.

If you are a transport squad and no one needs transport don't fly around trying to land on humvees or attract attention by landing on a flag, grab a gun and get in the fight, remember choppers that get shot down = loss of points for your team.

Lets get back to the reasons why we all enjoy playing PR here at TG, its the only mature gaming server where teamwork, communication, coordination, and leadership are found every day and night. Its where the tactic in tactical gamer comes out and where you can really learn how to play and be apart of something great.

one last thing, if you really find it hard to watch a short flash movie that goes over the rules of TG in order to obtain a PW to a respected and extremely popular night on the TG PR server, ask yourself, do you appear to understand what TG stands for or do you know? some people appear, and some people just want to use a sniper rifle and get a headshot (i tried to do a little analogy to the movie the departed)

Anyways this is my rant, I don't plan on replying to any comments, if any are made in regards to this, please feel free to PM me or I will gladly discuss this on a public channel on TS when I am not in game.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: somebody call the PR whammmbulance!

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
    I find it annoying when someone says "apc located at d6k8" and then someone says "whoa man did you see that chopper fly by" and its followed by at least 5 "lol, or rofl, or roflsaurus"....or if someone decides to complain or expressed discomfort.

It really is annoying, if you want to chat, go talk on AIM [JCTango: Or play an MMO :)]. If you have computer problems check out the forum within TG dealing with computers, hop onto TS and during the next loading time of a map ask someone a question and they might be able to answer it in the appropriate amount of time or direct you to someone who can help.

Its just very confusing and frustrating, and it over saturates what the premise of global/team chat is used for.
    Yeah I whole-heartedly agree. Many times when I relay this info to the team via text-chat, I get spammed by non-related text chatter and no one is able to see it.. I'm then forced to re-relay the info again and again until it's marked by commander, or the asset is taken out.

I actually wrote up a post about the problem of clogging the text-chat with non-tactical related chatter, but some people didn't see why it's important to keep that text-chat clean of spam.

Originally posted by JCTango View Post
    Ever since 0.7 went public, I've notice a lot more irrelevant and unnecessary text chatter in-game... Things like game mechanic gripes, namecalling, gloating, etc. Is it possible for us to keep the text chat to important round-based intel? Don't forget... the server does say, "Maturity required."

The irrelevant chat is not only distracting, but it also causes important information relayed from a teammate to get easily lost in the noise.

...just a humble request :(.
    Some people used the argument that since it's so spammed out, it's not worth reading! Text-chat is another means of communicating with your teammates. It's part of tactical teamwork. Not only should you use it to report assets, you should keep an eye on anything that's being reported.

Lord of the Mangoes
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
    In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Comment

There should be an option to scroll up text chat and read things you may have missed due to chains of 'lol' or 'owned'.

But I'll just retell the team the info, and the update on the target's location. Hostiles often move in my experience.
      Medic - If you can feel, I can heal

Comment

Sometimes theres nothing else to do for 5 mins so I dont see a brief conversation in text as a terrible thing.
        It'd be nice to have the option to turn off for those who are distracted by it but it doesnt block much on my screen

Originally posted by Cyrax-Sektor View Post
        There should be an option to scroll up text chat and read things you may have missed due to chains of 'lol' or 'owned'.

You can do that. Bring down the console with the tilde (near escape) then use page up

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

These references to Wham are doing my head in :(

Leave George out of it!

<grumbles>

Comment

Agreed guys. This not only applies to general chat but teamspeak as well. If the round just started and people are trying to form up squads please don't babble about that awesome no-scope kill you got last round, we'd love to hear about it, but not right now :). The PR Public channel is for general conversation, but NOT the team coordination channels, and especially not the admin channel.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

People still use text chat for legitimate purposes? I don't understand why people get all riled up about the chat. Squad leaders need mics. The SL relays info to the team via the commander or the map. If you're busy looking at the text chat trying to find useful information you're wasting your time.

If you think it's stupid don't read it... I've notice a few chat gestapos on the server who annoy me more than the chat ever will. "DO NOT SPAM THE CHAT" is lovely to see... real firendly community oriented action. (Not talkin about good old admin green, they're the only ones that should be sayin it)

And some people say chatobscures their view! I laugh every time I hear that complaint. PR doesnt have text the size of humvees lol.

But the general complaining does need to stop... I fully agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman1987 View Post
                People still use text chat for legitimate purposes? I don't understand why people get all riled up about the chat. Squad leaders need mics. The SL relays info to the team via the commander or the map. If you're busy looking at the text chat trying to find useful information you're wasting your time.

If you think it's stupid don't read it... I've notice a few chat gestapos on the server who annoy me more than the chat ever will. "DO NOT SPAM THE CHAT" is lovely to see... real firendly community oriented action. (Not talkin about good old admin green, they're the only ones that should be sayin it)
                Not every person in the game is in the proper team coordination channel every round, otherwise it wouldn't be a problem. And yes it does get annoying and people other than admins have the right to ask people to stop.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Yeah of course people use the teamchat.

Just because some people spam it doesn't mean you shouldn't pay attention to any intel that gets relayed there.

Personally I use it to report enemy asset grid references to the team and the commander. Even if my squad leader has told the commander, the commander may or may not mark it on the map.. so redundancy is good in this respect.

Why you would choose to ignore intel relayed from your team is beyond me.

Lord of the Mangoes

Comment

If I'm leading a squad, I do more map checking than shooting. The text chat really isn't where I'm looking for my info. I look for anything marked on the map, anything the CO mentions, and anything my squad informs me about. If you can't mark it on the map you've strayed too far from your SL.

The text chat isn't an efficient way to convey information when there are so many other tools at your disposal. I don't ignore the chat because it's irrelevant. I ignore it because the chat in general is a distraction from everything.

The only time I'm reading the chat is while im riding in a vehicle, sitting in the desert trying to stay awake, or at any other quiet times in the game.

I'm pretty sure a poll would show the majority of people playing this, including myself, would rather have friendly jokes up in the chat to keep things lively in the slow moments than a crackdwon on chat.

Comment

Randy the man with the words...I agree 101%
                      sigpic
                      "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman1987 View Post
                        I ignore it because the chat in general is a distraction from everything.
                        That's just exactly the kind of backwards argument that boggles me :/. If people weren't using the chat for irrelevant stuff, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. (Mind you, this hasn't been that big of a deal since the release of 0.7, which drastically changed a lot of stuff to the game)

As a SL you don't know where all the enemy assets are.. As a commander, your intel is only limited to what SL's report to you. Not all SL's report intel to commanders, and not all commanders mark things on the map.

If you keep a watch on the ingame text, sometimes teammates from other squads relay intel to the team, in case their SL doesn't tell the commander and/or the commander doesn't tell the team. For example:

Squad 1's SL & SM's relay intel to the commander and the team via Voip and text respectively.

Squad 1's SL marks the asset with a SL marker.

Commander marks the assets on the map and lets the squads know what is being marked.

Squad 2's SL receives intel from Commander AND the text chat.. and in case he doesn't see it or understands what the commander says, his SM's can relay the info back to him because they read it on the screen.

Squad 2's SL Marks the asset (if relevant).
                        Don't get me wrong, a little bit of innocent lines of chat is nice to pass the time, but having people spam it with irrelevant chat etc. just hinders communication. I'm not trying to instigate some sort of "crackdown" on chat either.. I'm just asking for people to be more respectful and aware of the textchat so that people who do use it.. can.. and get a better chance at having their intel passed along.

FYI: Some people process information a little differently than others. Some are more aural, while some are more visual. Having both means of communication is key to getting a message across.

People DO use text chat. At least respect their use of it.

Lord of the Mangoes

Comment

Originally posted by JCTango View Post

FYI: Some people process information a little differently than others. Some are more aural, while some are more visual. Having both means of communication is key to getting a message across.

People DO use text chat. At least respect their use of it.
                          Just so Tango doesn't have to quote himself again: I might agree here.

Pay attention to both VOIP *and* chat, or if you can't/won't, have a SM do it (e.g. read/translate **Relevant** chat of a non-VOIP member to the rest of the squad over VOIP).

Oh, and if you're interested in such, avoid even any appearance of impropriety (according to Tao te TG), e.g., avoid even the appearance of non-TG ways; just play the _good_ way.

aim for (like Delta Randy sez):
                          "Lets get back to the reasons why we all enjoy playing PR here at TG, its the only mature gaming server where teamwork, communication, coordination, and leadership are found every day and night. Its where the tactic in tactical gamer comes out and where you can really learn how to play and be apart of something great"

Amen.
                          Last edited by Diligent_BF2; 04-10-2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I use the chat myself quite often to relay intel, but I hardly see it beeing used and as long as TG remains public, I don't see this getting much better.

Tbh, I hope the next version removes the text chat, so that people start using the right channels: VOIP (SM -> SL -> CO -> SL -> SM) and TS. When I go CO, I hate it when SL 's don't give me any intel, I didn't step up just to give build orders... in stead use me for relaying intel to other squads.

But maybe I 'm getting euphoric again... :).
                            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

While I am guilty of using the public in game chat to have some kind of discourse about non-game stuff, I try to keep it to a minimum. However I do use in game chat a lot during a round to give all team members information on something when I don't see the CO relaying a message or if there is no CO. Things like "Enemy Tank C4 keypad 1 facing west." or "Mines on Road up to Hilltop! Be Careful!" etc.

If there was a way to do these things with VOIP I would but there isn't so I am forced to type crap. More than once I've died in the middle of typing.

Also, I've done the Transport Heli squad thing before and the Gunship role and the Air Engy role and one thing I don't mind doing is landing on the helipad at main base idle, rotter spinning just waiting for an order or a request. Hell sitting there for 10 minutes at times. I don't get jack **** or points for doing that, I do it because it's smart and it helps the team more than jacking around.
                              "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                              "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X