Court Martial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Martial?

I've been thinking about this lately. Is there any way (in future versions of PR) a commander, who has issued a "reasonable" order to Alpha squad, could punish that squad if they did not follow orders or did not conduct themselves in mature way (smacktards). Don't know if this has been brought up before or not. I also don't know what kind of punishment would work, if any. But maybe somebody else has thought about this too and has some ideas. I apologize if this has already been discussed and settled. Commander options might be hard coded, again, I don't know. Maybe "court martial" Squad Leader.
    sigpic
    I'm Back.

Re: Court Martial?

Also, I'm not as new to this game as my join date would suggest. I switched my name because of the misconceptions of my old one. People thought I was a smacktard.
    sigpic
    I'm Back.

Comment

You've answered your own question in your second post.

Comment

We already have that feature, it's called reporting it to the admin :). If they are found guilty of refusing to follow orders they get kicked from the server.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

fair enough....taip3n take it easy. Not trying to be annoying.
          sigpic
          I'm Back.

Comment

Ya silly munchkin, what are you on about?

Someone else got the wrong interpretation too. So let me spell it out for the button pressing maniacs out there.

You talk about some kind of in game 'court martial' but ask if it will work. You then say you had to change your name because people would think.. in your words.. that you are a smacktard due to a miscomprehension on their part <button pressing happy dudes please press here>.

So the point is as they say - you answered your own question . And by the negative response I recieved privately and on this thread - that also answers your question - miscomprehension and button pressing happy people, will come to a bad judgement, and in the wrong hands, that's bad.

The point is.. if they 'prejudice' you by your name, or a few words - like say.. misunderstanding what you said - imagine what would happen if you give them more power to 'court martial' someone? Absolute anarchy.

Let's imagine a commander with a bit of.. a.. power issue and thinks a SL is being arrogant. The SL may be totally legitimate in their thinking - but since the power button falls into the commanders' hands, then with a bit of anger and a 'I'll get you' attitude because they want 'the last laugh' (because of rules) that will only cause fear amongst many for not doing the whim of those egotistical mandarins in power.

So when you say:

'Is there any way (in future versions of PR) a commander, who has issued a "reasonable" order to Alpha squad, could punish that squad if they did not follow orders or did not conduct themselves in mature way (smacktards)..Commander options might be hard coded, again, I don't know. Maybe "court martial" Squad Leader'.

And then

'Also, I'm not as new to this game as my join date would suggest. I switched my name because of the misconceptions of my old one. People thought I was a smacktard '.

Let's say - the very stem of fear that relates to you having to change your name due to the prejudice you got from your original name is the very same thing people will prey upon to get at you - with an amount of power over you they will search to hurt you; get back at you - prejudice you. You needed to 'fit in' - you recieved such prejudice - you answered your question by your own experience stated in your second comment. Why should you need to fit in because of prejudice over a name?

Let me make an example. And it turns out to be your very own posts, mine, and someone elses privately to me who also misunderstood it seems - but had power to comment and make a mark on me. Such a thing would lead to anarchy and power abuse because of haughty attitudes from individuals given a little power - based on prejudice, short-sitedness and a loftier viewpoint. Give them a power to use at their 'whim' and they will use it. You will bow before the mandarin who has the whip to flail you, scare you, hurt you.

I answer this by your own example: I say 'you answered your own question', because you have recieved prejudice - and as anyone who has experienced it, can empaphise with you - and so be on your side. Mearly commenting in one swoop, I see what you mean, but there are inherent problems like the one you experienced by your very name in such a thing. I was sounding out aswell that I am on your side if you recieve prejudice and it is others that need to learn. Siding with you against prejudice is not attacking you.

Now, I apologise to you, my good man, if you took the wrong line - but you totally and utterly misunderstood. Some other guy did aswell - though this time this person was given a buttion and said 'that was hardly called for' or something. You see - give them a power button and they will use it unjustly and unwisely - seeing only their translation of events and not the real meaning.

Anyway he's been corrected so we shall see if that he corrects himself. That would answer maybe a little in which direction for one person, in this world. In this forum you will se alot of this. In the game too. Those quick to use a power but will they be as swift to reproach themselves? Perhaps he felt you were hurt too. Maybe he read your words after, or even before - but utterly missed the point. But he had a button.. I told that but in pressing dude, he was mistaken, but you see my point, he had the way to make damage at a whim, with a comment.

So you see. It's not me that has to 'take it easy' but the power button pressing dudes - ahh, it gives them a good feeling I guess - but that's the point, it is not thought out.

So I apologies if you thought it a bit sharp but I wont apologies for my words as there was no malice in them - infact I was siding with you and giving you a hint of why it wont work and hints of to think it out down the paths- not show you directly, that is not always how you learn - but to see angles and connections. It just so happens 'views' and 'whims' based on false beliefs can lead to those in power attacking those that they 'think' are wrong. And there is alot of that here. And your name change is just one example, my buttin pressing another, other threads of not chilled out people, others.

I kept it short as it seemed apropriate and to get the mind thinking, to start seing connections. It turned out to become a very example so it helped but I was hoping you would (and others, would catch the point in hand by thinking a little about it before knee jerk reactions or feelings, which was totally not what I thought of at all).

I guess Admins are the best way forward in what you are thnking of. They seem to have balance. I Have shown you a couple of reasons why balance does not operate elsewhere here. Other threads will show you it too. In game will do aswell.

I do apologies, one more time if it hurt you - it wasn't what was intended but to help ya think by pointing to a direction and not spell it out. Anyway got an example for you in the end.. power, lofty positions and a 'I'll see to it you..' kinda mindset :) It's about people though, some are like this, others like that. But in no way was my post anything but a friendly nod, an understanding and an insight, and point in a direction. Which is better than some haughty button press, eh. But I am glad you brought it to my attention, sorry for the fourth time - you are by no means annoying, or think I was getting at you, and if you think that of me - you don't know me or my words at all.

Speaking of friendly nods. By the way - Welcome! Hope to catch you up in game and squad up. If I got a squad running, please pop in and get to know the crew, have fun and enjoy. :)
            Last edited by Taip3n; 04-09-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: Like always. trying to make it clear

Comment

What was your previous nickname?

I wanted the CO to be able to deduct (or add maybe) 200 points from a squads score. You might find that the people who care most about score are the same ones most likely to ignore , or mute the commanders request.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood you, but alas, I understand now. You're right I kinda set myself up on the follow up. My other name was "Snipersych" . Immediately after joining a squad, I would 1)Get kicked (snipers aren't exactly wanted usually), 2)have a really useless argument about snipers. I don't even like the sniper kit actually. I've played with that kit maybe twice in the 4-5 months I've been playing PR. But I had that name since I got BF2 3 years ago. Medic is my favorite kit, thus my new name. So, sorry for pulling the trigger so quick. I'm honestly not trying to make enemies. I just had an idea....obviously now I see it's a bad idea. But who said all ideas were good.
                Last edited by Bandaid; 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
                sigpic
                I'm Back.

Comment

Snipersych =0. Dude you talked waaay too much, please try to keep the chat down a bit.

Comment

I don't know about the adding points to score thing, cause like you said, that wouldn't help the situation I don't think. Obviously they will get kicked if they are negligent of commander's orders. So, that's it. I think this thread could be locked and put away.
                    sigpic
                    I'm Back.

Comment

No. I don't think this post should be locked and put away - it's a good idea you had.

Brainstorming for the answer is no bad thing. Tigger also thought of something good. Keep going.

Besides, the thread has lead elsewhere too, discussing all such things. there is definately no reason to appologies for your thread - it's a good one. If we think of a way, perhaps it can be used. Besides that, we are looking into how to make the game better, and that may come from a corner unlooked for.

Also, I don't see why you still cant use Snipersych since that has been your name for 3 years! We all get fond of our nicknames into which we have inversted time in 'our characters'.

Who is anyone to put you down due to a name? Bring back Snipersych!! That's what I say. Forget the rest if they think badly over your name, they are not worth feeling bad over.

I like the name actually and after 3 years, again, I would say don't loose it - it's you!

And no appologies for me. My good man who mentioned it privately suggested why I sounded bad. That I called you a smacktard. I could see that there was a problem in translation since two people picked it up - but not why. Now I know. And obviously my meaning was utterly different and nothing whatsoever on that. So no worries. I can understand two viens of why you thought it now..

Finally though on that note -can I just say, you seem open, kind, thoughtful and giving to others - that's not a smacktard that's a really nice person!

Forgeting that that is also the TG codex so you are in the right place - I just want to say, that also means you have alot of respect from others and the tools about you to show people what really counts in this world, which in itself is respectable.

Whatever name you want Bandaid' or Sniper', you are welcome in any squad I make and hope to catch you up, or hope to quad up with you. Though after you wearing your character for 3 years, I hope sniper' doesn't let the real smacktards of prejudice, get at that name.

Comment

Well I think I like the new name better...but thanks for the post. And if people want to keep this thread going, then by all means brainstorm. I'm currently out of ideas, but who knows.

Is your TG name the same as your 'in-game' name?

I was thinking though, instead of automatically kicking insubordinate Squad Leaders off the server. Maybe demote them. Like a second chance thing. make them squad members. Unable to start own squad. If they still don't follow SL orders, they get kicked from squad and unable to join squad, thus kick from server. Only an idea.

As for rewarding good squads (besides the great "Commend Squad" option) I have no clue. I don't think it would be possible without making the playing field uneven.
                        sigpic
                        I'm Back.

Comment

And intelligent demotion system would be cool. If all the SL could vote if a commander should be mutinied or not. Just the SLs. Or if the commander could remove someone from the SL position of a squad after a number of refused commands. It would be nice. Not possible I don't think with the engine, but very nice.
                          "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                          "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Yup, the name's the same.

See ya in there Bandaid.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed