Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR Server Rules, Regulations, UCB info, Maplist, Everything You'll Need To Know

This one sticky thread is being created to help reduce the total number of stickies cluttering up this forum. It is also intended to help guide new players and players unfamiliar with forums to the proper location.

If you're new to Tactical Gamer and our forums, please make sure to read the following:

Required Reading

TG-wide Info

Before you post
    Before you post, please do your best to search and see if your question has previously been asked. Many times you'll find your answer without having to start another thread. Do not be afraid of the search command. You can search across forum groups, in a specific forum group, and even in a specific thread. Look to the upper right hand corner of your browser and you'll see a search link.

Also scan the threads listed below. Many of these answer questions that are commonly asked.

Project Reality Threads of Interest

Project Reality Events!

Current map rotation:
    • Asad Khal (AAS/64)
    • Assault on Mestia (AAS/64)
    • Kozelsk (AAS/64)
    • Ejod Desert (AAS/64)
    • Fools Road (AAS/64)
    • Fallujah West (INS/64)
    • Qwai (AAS/64)
    • Kashan Desert (AAS/16)
    • Operation Archer (INS/64)
    • Jabal (AAS/64)
    • Operation Barracuda (AAS/64)
    • Karbala (INS/64)
    • Operation Ghost Train (AAS/64)
    • Al Kufrah Oil Field (AAS/64)
    • Korengal (INS/64)
    • Kozelsk (AAS/64)
    • Bi Ming (AAS/64)
    • Ramiel (INS/64)
    • 7 Gates (AAS/64)
    • Muttrah City 2 (AAS/64)
    Last edited by FBmantis; 02-11-2009, 01:59 AM. Reason: moved maplist here - update rules link
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Inquiring minds want to know - UCB rules

************************************************** ************************************************** *************

PLEASE NOTE!!!

The server rules were updated for the release of Project Reality .8 and our rules regarding the main/uncap were also changed. Please see the sticky regarding the Official PR Server Rules to get the latest information regarding our rules. Many posts in this thread are now outdated due to the rules changes.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************

A little bit of discussion about the rules of the server, specifically firing into or near the enemy main or uncap.

** DISCLAIMER **

The PR admins have already discussed, debated, eye-gouged, bit, kicked, and indian leg-wrestled over the rules, and the outcome is stickied in this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to clarify the rules regarding engaging enemy units near/in their main. We won't try to stifle any other commentary regarding this rule, your immense displeasure with it, or the lack of "reality" in the rule. However, be forewarned that this is not an attempt to come to a consensus over a change to the rule nor an attempt to solicit possible rule changes or modifications. Again, it is simply to try to clear up some of the obvious misunderstandings regarding the uncap rule(s) that we see on a daily basis on the server.

With that said....

Question: Can I return fire on someone in the main?

Answer:

1) If you are inside the main to conduct spec-ops or whatever - NO.
    2) If you are outside the main, and take fire from someone in the main, you can return fire on that unit. The main is not a safe haven for you to fire on the enemy from without fear of taking fire in return. Example: Al Kufrah - MEC tanks firing out of the main on British forces assembled outside of refinery attempting to take that flag. You are open season if you are firing on the British troops even though your main is not in play.

Today there was a question about firing on troops on the bridge on Fool's Road. The normal rule for this map in particular is that the bridge is not to be camped. However, once again, if British forces are firing at militia targets from the bridge, they are now valid targets.

Please note: This does not give license to continue to fire at will into the enemy main. Return fire on those forces that pose a threat to you and then it is over.

So, let the games begin...

(I'm sure I'll regret starting this thread)
    Last edited by FBmantis; 02-13-2009, 02:59 AM. Reason: updated rules link

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Re: Intriguing minds want to know

Originally posted by pwn3ge106
      And if both parties are at the bridge?
      I think that if that bridge counts as part of the main, then the Militia can't fire at the British unless the British fire at Militia.

And if a car was trying to run you over on the bridge, then I think you should be able to fire back.
      Waldo II

Comment

Re: Intriguing minds want to know - UCB rules

Only thing I have to ask is what constitutes a main base? This should be clarified for the sake of this thread/discussion. Is the entire southern riverbank in Sunset City part of the PLA main or just the fenced-in area? What about Pigfarm on Qwai? I can envision standing on top of the hills south of the helicopters to draw fire allowing you to shoot back.
        |TG-6th|Belhade
        "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
          Only thing I have to ask is what constitutes a main base? This should be clarified for the sake of this thread/discussion. Is the entire southern riverbank in Sunset City part of the PLA main or just the fenced-in area? What about Pigfarm on Qwai? I can envision standing on top of the hills south of the helicopters to draw fire allowing you to shoot back.
          Excellent question....to which there is no easy answer. If we said it was 50m away from the actual flag, then someone would stand at 51m begging to be shot at so they could return fire, or place mines and C4 51m out so they aren't baseraping, etc.

I guess the best answer is this: If you think you're in the main, then you are. [EDIT] Please don't tell the admins that "I don't think I'm in the main" if someone accuses you of attacking the main and be about 10m away from the flag. That dog won't hunt. [/EDIT]

@pwnage:

The bridge is an area that, while is considered UCB, is technically not. What do we mean by that?

The militia cannot camp the bridge, meaning they can't sit with RPGs in the hills over village and pick off the British vehicles as they cross, they can't wait to detonate C4 until the exact time a vehicle is crossing, etc. etc. They can blow it up, but they can't do that and then sit with their SVD on the hill waiting for the easy kills.

Now, if the militia get caught on the bridge trying to C4 it and take fire, then they can return fire. They are not technically 'in the main', so that rule does not apply here.

Hopefully that clears it up some.

(PR .8) EDIT: The bridge on Fool's Road is now open for business. Yes, this is a rules change. Militia can do what they want to the bridge and anyone on it. British main is still subject to UCB rules, but Village and Bridge are not longer protected areas. Drive safely!
          Last edited by disposableHero; 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
            (I'm sure I'll regret starting this thread)
            You can bet on that.
            "he fired at me first"

Comment

2 questions:

1. on seven gates, is the whole area inside the wall at he chinese "main" considered the main, or just the citadel?

2. you speak of un-capable bases and main bases in the same sentance...so can someone "camp" a base (but not the main) that is not currently "in play" while waiting for another flag to go up, so that they are in position when it comes into play? for example, on Ejod...the US heads for garden at the start of the round, to keep the MEC from capping, and to be in place when the flag comes into play.

Comment

Any capable main flag may be engaged if the previous flag in the AAS is neutralized. This is logical as the main flag is next in line to be capped. If a main is un-capable then the rules are clear in the first post of this thread.

To use an example that should make it clear for every single map that has a capable main base.

Al Kufrah Oilfield
                British troops may not engage any units in or nearby the MEC Mainbase (MEC) until the Refinery CP is neutralized unless they are fired upon first. When the Refinery CP is neutralized this implies that the MEC Mainbase is next in line in the AAS and therefore is free to be engaged. If the MEC take back the Refinery and once again turn it to MEC control the MEC Mainbase is no longer authorized to be engaged. Concentrate on taking back the Refinery before attacking the MEC Mainbase again.

This example should be rather clear and if you don't understand then I don't really know how else to explain it. The spirit of the rules and the letter of the rules are pretty clear with this clarification. If you wish to argue semantics further, I wish you good luck and ask that you take it to PM.

As to 7th Gate. Once the British take Riverfort the entire Chinese complex is fair game. That includes Courtyard CPs and Citadel CP. Why? Because all these CPs are very close to one another and the defense and attack of the entire complex will naturally force British and Chinese alike throughout the complex. This is my opinion.
                "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
                  Any capable main flag may be engaged if the previous flag in the AAS is neutralized. This is logical as the main flag is next in line to be capped. If a main is un-capable then the rules are clear in the first post of this thread.

To use an example that should make it clear for every single map that has a capable main base.

Al Kufrah Oilfield
                  British troops may not engage any units in or nearby the MEC Mainbase (MEC) until the Refinery CP is neutralized unless they are fired upon first. When the Refinery CP is neutralized this implies that the MEC Mainbase is next in line in the AAS and therefore is free to be engaged. If the MEC take back the Refinery and once again turn it to MEC control the MEC Mainbase is no longer authorized to be engaged. Concentrate on taking back the Refinery before attacking the MEC Mainbase again.

This example should be rather clear and if you don't understand then I don't really know how else to explain it. The spirit of the rules and the letter of the rules are pretty clear with this clarification. If you wish to argue semantics further, I wish you good luck and ask that you take it to PM.

Unfortunately, Kilroy, that is not correct when it comes to main flags.

Using Kilroy's example, the MEC main flag cannot be attacked until the British forces establish control of Refinery - meaning the Union Jack is flying over refinery. You may NOT fire into the MEC main until it has the AAS attack symbol on it.

The rule is on the load screen for every map: You may not attack main unless AAS says so. The AAS system does not put an attack marker on the next flag while the previous one is neutralized.

Any other flag on the map is in play at any time if you choose to attack it other than the enemy main flag. We prefer that the flags that can be capped via the AAS system are the ones being fought over, but there may be valid tactics involved in attacking those other flags, so they are open ground. Basically, the whole map is hostile except the enemy main flag.

For the purpose of clarity, the main flag or UCB are interchangeable terms.

The definition is this: The main flag is the flag where the team has a permanent spawn point.

UCBs are mapper defined areas that cannot be captured, such as the carrier on Al Burj or the British main on Assault on Mestia and have a 'dome of death' surrounding them. Those areas may not be attacked by enemy forces, either.

Originally posted by Redd_Wiggler
                  1. on seven gates, is the whole area inside the wall at he chinese "main" considered the main, or just the citadel?
                  Seven Gates is a pain. There is not clear physical delineation between the Citadel, which is the main (at the temple) and the courtyard area (where the TOW launcher is). What also complicates matters is the fact that the Chinese forces are 100% guaranteed to be firing out of that entire area for most of the battle. We view the multiple rally points/spawns surrounding the area as Commander Assets, so they are fair game at any time to be taken out and a valid tactic. Same with a CP and any resulting bunker within the walls. The rules governing returning fire into the main when fired upon from the main when you are outside the walls also apply. Once within the walls, you are not to fire.

Silly, huh?

Comment

Roger Roger. Even more clarification for a possible gray area. A win win.
                    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                      Unfortunately, Kilroy, that is not correct when it comes to main flags.

Using Kilroy's example, the MEC main flag cannot be attacked until the British forces establish control of Refinery - meaning the Union Jack is flying over refinery. You may NOT fire into the MEC main until it has the AAS attack symbol on it.

The rule is on the load screen for every map: You may not attack main unless AAS says so. The AAS system does not put an attack marker on the next flag while the previous one is neutralized.

Any other flag on the map is in play at any time if you choose to attack it other than the enemy main flag. We prefer that the flags that can be capped via the AAS system are the ones being fought over, but there may be valid tactics involved in attacking those other flags, so they are open ground. Basically, the whole map is hostile except the enemy main flag.

For the purpose of clarity, the main flag or UCB are interchangeable terms.

The definition is this: The main flag is the flag where the team has a permanent spawn point.

UCBs are mapper defined areas that cannot be captured, such as the carrier on Al Burj or the British main on Assault on Mestia and have a 'dome of death' surrounding them. Those areas may not be attacked by enemy forces, either.

Seven Gates is a pain. There is not clear physical delineation between the Citadel, which is the main (at the temple) and the courtyard area (where the TOW launcher is). What also complicates matters is the fact that the Chinese forces are 100% guaranteed to be firing out of that entire area for most of the battle. We view the multiple rally points/spawns surrounding the area as Commander Assets, so they are fair game at any time to be taken out and a valid tactic. Same with a CP and any resulting bunker within the walls. The rules governing returning fire into the main when fired upon from the main when you are outside the walls also apply. Once within the walls, you are not to fire.

Silly, huh?
                      thanx :D, but i must agree with this point: 7 gates it a PAIN. my least favorite map...but with some tweaks (which i wont go into here, as its not the place), it could be one of the best (IMO).

Comment

Re: Inquiring minds want to know - UCB rules

7 gates is good if the uk can make any advance otherwise it stalls & sucks

Can you confirm its ok to actively pursue an enemy back to their base and destroy them. Like a jet fight on kashan where one plane flees for his home base.
                        Im not talking about attacking a couple mins after but actually having them in sight but unable to engage till they slow for their base

Also in case we ever play basra again, the uk main base is a ucb but a valid attack for suicide cars?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

This actually came up and I did not know how to react to it.

I was playing 7 gates as the British. I had formed a spec ops squad to go around and knife the rallies in and around citadel. All was going well till we came up to a sniper who saw us. The sniper did not want to fire at us because he did not want us to return fire and kill him. So I walked up to him and knifed him. Now he had plenty of chances to fire at me and kill me first. Yes he would have been shot and killed if he had fired at us since I had my full squad with me.

From my perspective and why I did what I did is, that the sniper knowing that he could not take out the squad should have run for help. The last thing he should have done was let me walk up to him. Now for me knifing him was like me treating him like a civilian in insurgency mode, in essence capturing him.

Now did I do the correct thing or should I have left him totally alone?

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                            This actually came up and I did not know how to react to it.

I was playing 7 gates as the British. I had formed a spec ops squad to go around and knife the rallies in and around citadel. All was going well till we came up to a sniper who saw us. The sniper did not want to fire at us because he did not want us to return fire and kill him. So I walked up to him and knifed him. Now he had plenty of chances to fire at me and kill me first. Yes he would have been shot and killed if he had fired at us since I had my full squad with me.

From my perspective and why I did what I did is, that the sniper knowing that he could not take out the squad should have run for help. The last thing he should have done was let me walk up to him. Now for me knifing him was like me treating him like a civilian in insurgency mode, in essence capturing him.

Now did I do the correct thing or should I have left him totally alone?

Go re-read the PR server rules and post back with the correct answer.

Comment

That's against the rules. I can imagine it seems perfectly logical and justified at the time, but entirely un-enforceable, I imagine.

When I play spec-ops on Seven Gates, I run around with my field dressing out so I can't even accidentally shoot someone. It also seems to fool half of the chinese who catch a fleeting glimpse of me too, which is a nice bonus.
                              | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
                              Charge for the guns' he said:
                              Into the valley of Death
                                Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse