Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Basrah and Op. Archer

Hey guys.
    I remember talking to Disposable about this a while back, and I'd appreciate it if you guys could bear with me for just a bit. I have a few things to say about Basrah and Archer.
    Archer and Basrah, as you all know, are insurgency maps, and they are notorious for crashes. The crashes are the reason why alot of servers don't play them.
    I have recently been looking into it, doing some testing on my own and reading about other peoples' experiences, and have realized a few things about these crashes:

- This might be iffy, but I've read and even tested this out myself.... Basrah and Archer crash when they are repeated in rotation (i.e., Basrah -> Basrah or Archer -> Archer, etc. etc.) However, when they are not repeated in rotation (i.e. Basrah -> Kashan, Archer -> Fools etc. etc.), they do NOT crash. I tried this out myself, and can confirm crashes when they repeated, and no crashes when they didn't. However, I also experienced no crashes on occasion when they DID repeat, which leads me to a certain amount of skepticism.

-Secondly, Archer crashes more, and in different ways. Archer crashes ingame, usually (from what I've heard) after 20 minutes of gameplay. Basrah crashes when loading, or when the game has finished and in the 'debreifing' screen. I read from posts that the reason for Archer crashing is as follows:
    Archer currently has too many static objects ingame. Though I'm not sure the number, there is a limit to how much "stuff' the engine can handle, and when that number is passed, a crash occurs. Archer has tons of destructable buidlings (hence, a large number of static objects for each piece of "rubble", and everytime someone lays down an ammo bag, field dressing, etc., the number increases. For this, the map commonly surpasses the number, and crashes. By the way, I read this from the maker of the map, so I believe this is the reason why this map crashes.

Personally, I think that Basrah and Archer would make for a great, great gaming experience on TG. The times I've played these maps, there were many immature, "unintelligent" people who 'tard rushed' amd had more of a VBF2 mentality. This really ruins the overall experience of this map. However, when the server is full of respectable, mature gamers who use tactics, teamwork, and intelligence, this map is amazing... Insurgent ambushes, Brit insertions and extrats, the whole shabang.

Its because of this that I was wondering if one day, perhaps during PW night or perhaps some other way, we test out including Basrah into the rotation. Make it *some other map* -> Basrah -> * yet another map*. By doing this, perhaps we could be able to play a complete game of Insurgency on this incredible map without experiencing the crash.
    Just consider what I've wrote guys, and write back any opinons/thoughts.
    Cheers, Cody

Re: Al Basrah and Op. Archer

Archer doesnt crash after 20 minutes when it's the only map in rotation though, it then only crashes the server when the round's over and it's 'reloading'.

Comment

I don't see what's the big deal if the server crashes, as long as we have admins willing to put it back up right away. It would be fun to have another "insurgency-day" and play these maps on a friday or saturday night.
      |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

The problem is we don't have 24 hour Admin coverage since they are volunteers and have lives of their own. You can't put a map in the rotation that doesn't play reliably since it will inevitably crash the server at 5AM when no one is around for a few hours.

Comment

Why not just put either one of the maps at the end of the maplist, Server restarts anyways once the maplist is over doesnt it?
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

|TG-X|Elwenil

Are you a mind reader lol...was going to say same words.
            sigpic
            "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
              Why not just put either one of the maps at the end of the maplist, Server restarts anyways once the maplist is over doesnt it?
              Um, if it crashes, I don't think it will restart.

Comment

I think we should schedule a night to place it on the Private Server, a night of an ADMIN's choosing.. and let the Community here know when it is going to happen. Call it a test run. If it crashes.. no big deal, the normal TG server is still up and running, plus there would be a significantly less people on the Private Server as only people that were aware of the event would be there.. possibly less players, less chance of a crash.

It would be a great experiment.. I love the Map..

Could we have an Admin Volunteer to do this??

Comment

I think we've done that with both Basrah and Archer. I was there on the PW Night when Disposable tested Archer and it crashed in the middle of the game every time it ran.

Comment

Once it crashes, I believe BF2CC allows you to have an option to "Auto-Restart" once a server goes down "Crashes" for whatever reason. thebattlearena.com auto restarts their server so even if Basrah crashes them, it starts back up and everyone rejoins.

Either way, I know some people would like to see some Insurgency maps up, and I'm pretty sure that we will get some newer, better ones in 0.8. If putting Insurgency in the maplist is not feasible at this time for any reason whether it be crashing or something else, there's definately more on the way in 0.8, hopefully even more reliable ones.

| |

Comment

The twenty or thirty minutes or whatever that we spent on Archer during a password night last month was the most fun I've had playing PR ever, hands down. Playing as the insurgents with a squad is great. These maps are a LOT of fun, and I would love to see them appear on a password night again. I hope the issues with these maps are ironed out soon... but I know you can't have everything you want right away.
                      TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
                        I think we've done that with both Basrah and Archer. I was there on the PW Night when Disposable tested Archer and it crashed in the middle of the game every time it ran.
                        This is exactly why we run it on the private server..
                        Consider it an experiment..
                        The map runs on other servers..
                        Is it a trade secret on how to get the maps to work or something?

Comment

Both maps may see a surprise visit to the server tomorrow night :)

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                            Both maps may see a surprise visit to the server tomorrow night :)
                            Yea, so hold yout horeses;)
                            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Yay! My playtime on Thors Archer only server may pay out

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X