Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it lag so much???

Hi guys,

I have a very low ping on the server (<20). My computer has 2G ram and GeForce 8 graphic card, and I set the graphics to be low. Why does the game still lag so much? One time I had a guy's head in my scope but suddenly he teleported. Sometimes I feel like if I go to a certain direction, the game starts to lag as if on that direction there is a lag source. Anyone know why?

Re: Why does it lag so much???

Depends on a lot of things. Map, punkbuster, view distance, etc. Lately, especially since the .756 patch, a lot of people have been getting increased lag. Try emptying your cache folders in your My Documents folder.

Comment

Lots of different factors. BF2 engine does not fully load the map so until you have looked all over the map in detail during a game then you will still be loading from the hard disk.

Defrag your hard disk will help.

If you printscreen lots of the options screens and give out a full spec I could speculate further but just last night I noticed fools road had exceeded 2 gig, invoking the page file while I played. It didnt lag but dont presume your machine is comfortable even with your spec

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

^^^
        So by that rational if XP Pro 32bit can recognize up to 3.2GB of memory, does that mean if you have 3GB of memory you may not actually have lag on Fool's Road? Call me curious.
        "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
        "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
          ^^^
          So by that rational if XP Pro 32bit can recognize up to 3.2GB of memory, does that mean if you have 3GB of memory you may not actually have lag on Fool's Road? Call me curious.
          I have 3 gigs of ram on my xp pro 32 bit system and I lag pretty badly on forrest heavy maps like Fool's Road and Bi Ming :(. Wasn't laggy as much as it was before the shader check though :(.

Lord of the Mangoes
          In the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
          In the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.

Comment

It didnt lag
            Originally posted by kilroy0097 View Post
            does that mean if you have 3GB of memory you may not actually have lag on Fool's Road? Call me curious.

No, it barely used over 2 gig. Unless you have a graphics card with only 128mb, 3 gig isnt going to solve any problems, nice to have instead of a swap file sure but just keep your files in order and 3 is not needed really.

I recommend more vram rather then main memory. PR uses tons of vram imo, I guess I can measure some and put some charts up but last time I looked it was about 600 or 700mb of vram to fully satisfy the requirements.
            Again it does not explain the fools road lag because main memory can be used instead, its a bit slower but still not a problem afaik. If you were really low on memory then you'd page the textures to disk and then you would notice the lag especially if your hard disk is full up/fragmented.

In the case I mentioned in my previous post, the files paged to disk were not the game files but background window tasks. Theres about 200meg of those that are stored in memory that can be happily shifted on to the disk until you return to desktop. If you get a ton of disk thrashing when you leave the game, thats why

If I found out my memory usage had exceeded 2.3gig or so which can happen then yes you'd be right to a small extent.

If you want my rough opinion, the biggest difference Ive found in performance recently was by 1. increasing vram 2. Changing the graphics card for a model with a greater memory bus width.
            I dont know why really but I think its a dx9 thing where smoke particles and really intensive small processes can clog up the graphics card operations especially where its allready slightly limited.
            Dx10 (bf2 is dx9 no matter what card or os you have) is apparently more efficent and dont worry if you havent clue what Im going on about, because Im guessing myself tbh :p

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/f2guf/

reference material:
            http://blogs.msdn.com/greg_schechter...02/566767.aspx
            Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 04-26-2008, 10:38 AM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Hey guys... You guys think running just 3 gigs is better than my 2 gigs in duel channel?

I tried putting 4gigs in my XP pro (32bit-DOH!) system and got all kinds of problems, even though it only rendered 3.25gigs. I tried adding the /3GB switch into my startup file, etc...but BF2 always seemed to cause crashes.

I didn't think BF2 ever exceeding 2gb ram usage, wow.
              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Its confusing because the actual exe wont exceed 2gb, I dont think xp can handle that ? We've discussed this before but basically bf2 uses like 1.5gig and the rest of the memory used is windows background applications and texture memory.
                If you use a gtx? Then it has that nice 750meg of vram which explains your 3.25gig allocation from the 4 gig installed.
                XP can only count to 4 gig, your vram also has to be counted which leaves xp, 3.25gig of fingers to count on as it were.
                Basically I think you will be fine with 2 gigs. Use task manager to check

Comment

but what do you think about 2gigs in duel-channel versus 3 gigs? I have 2 more sticks of ram just sitting here collecting dust! I might just put in vista 64bit and run all 4gigs.
                  |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I havent used Vista at all yet. If I had the spare memory then I'd use it tbh, 3 gigs sounds good to me and the swapfile should collect dust.

You can have your 2 gigs of duel channel and then add in another stick of ram without disturbing that setup afaik.

I couldnt find that thread and my computer has decided not to let me do a screenshot right now but the util is just basic ctrl-alt-del and the figure is peak commit charge, that shouldnt exceed the total physical memory. I dont think it is in your case unless you use AA

Rivatuner will show a few details about memory and also the util I have attached to this post, see the thread below

http://forums.legitreviews.com/post58379.html
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have an old system warehouse (starting a new build this week, yes sir) but going to 3 gig in my xp sp2 system with an EVGA 7800 GS card (el crappo as I call it) plays PR smooth for me. So I really do think the card plus a nice 3 to 4 gig will help somewhere. Once I upped the RAM all went much better. Also, Bamboo is a great source of info...been helping me a lot.

I have vista 32bit on my new 17 inch lappy (Asus g2-b2) and had issue getting PR to run on it so I just stopped trying, mostly cuz I like it better on my 22 inch screen desktop. It did seem that vista was to blame for its RAM usage. BUT, I am going to Vista ultimate 64 with 4 gig in the new system and from what I heard that with the card I am getting should sweeten it all up.

Tigger, nice link and info!

Good sites for good game/tech info...

www.hardwarelogic.com

www.overclockersclub.com
                      sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X