Better Commander than Grunt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Commander than Grunt

Ok, I just got off of your server and must say, I'm a terrible soldier compared to a commander. The 3 maps I played as CO we won. And I must say it's a steep learning curve especially on a counterattack map for your first one. My only qualm with my performance was the fact that I wasted the only JDAM of the game :( my inexperience screwed that up, the guy asked for the drop, but I didn't realize he meant to wait. Killed 8 guys though so its not all bad. I will say this much it isn't as adrenaline pumping but its still fun. THe maps were; Counterattack on Zatar Wetlands, Assault and Secure on Assault on Mestia, and Assault and Secure on Kashan.
    I will be modest and say the squads that I worked with were top notch. You and |TF21| I will say are the best clans on the PR network, and the public players on the your server are usually of great quality. WOuldn't have been able to do it without you.
    DeltaFart
    sigpic
    <a href="http://www.metro2033forum.net">metro 2033 forum</a>

Re: Better Commander than Grunt

It's good to see players taking some initiative and stepping up to CO one round, much less three. Don't worry about screw-ups man, it happens to everyone and we all understand. The Kashan 32 round had a breakdown of teamwork on the US team, which made it easier for you to CO the MEC. Anyways, good to see ya trying it out.

| |

Comment

Just keep in mind that even a good comm can only do so much. It still takes at least two good inf squads who follow orders, and can give more than they take.

Comment

Commanding for three rounds and all three victories? I salute you! Every time I command, it's a constant struggle. :p If you need something built, I'm your guy! :D Oh bugger, did I forget my Officer kit? But after awhile of commanding, I panicked less.
        Medic - If you can feel, I can heal

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
          It's good to see players taking some initiative and stepping up to CO one round, much less three. Don't worry about screw-ups man, it happens to everyone and we all understand. The Kashan 32 round had a breakdown of teamwork on the US team, which made it easier for you to CO the MEC. Anyways, good to see ya trying it out.
          You said it, sister. Few people wish to squad lead, and even fewer still actually man up to command. I've recently begun squad leading, but I'm still waiting for my extra gonads to show up in the mail before I start working on commanding. It's always good to have people like you in charge.
          TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

YOu know something, I've never lead a squad before, I just went from low level foot soldier to commander, it was an interesting experience
            sigpic

Comment

I've found that every time I name my squad "badSL" or "I_suck" then my squad does well so maybe I will go commander some day and just tell everyone how badly we are gonna fail and get ripped to shreds!

Comment

I have found that it does help to squad lead before you step up as commander, especally when you have commanded a variety of squads. Infantry, armor, air, spec ops, engineer, ground transport, air transport...you name it, I've done it. At least once,haha. But doing all of this has carried over into commanding. It helps me to better prioritise (spelling?) things, and to understand the overall strategy and the tactics I want each squad to implement. One more thing that squad leading can do for you: Repuation & Respect. Once you have been in the shoes of the guys you are telling what to do, they will know you aren't clueless. They will trust, respect, and listen to what you are saying.

As you command more, you will learn that some squad leaders are best left to their own devices. Just give them a flag to attack and set them loose. Good examples come from the 6th and 10th IHS. You can also learn from those under your command...but if somebody gives you an alternative order they believe will work better, the first thing to do is make sure you both are on the same page. If you are, they know what is going on in their immediate surroundings better than you do...so go with it unless it is completely against your strategy for the map or would leave somebody else out to dry.

Be sure all of your squads pass along any important details to you. This is essential, as without this you are blind. I want to hear these three things from squad leaders:

a) Squad status. Are you getting driven back? Mopped up? Advancing? Stalemate? Tell me!
                b) Surroundings. Where are the enemy vehicles? Are there enemy squads around you? Only one? 3 squads? Is the enemy reinforcing quickly or gradually? Are they reinforcing at all?
                c) Plans. Are you going to ninja your way into the flag radius? Go in loudly? Surround it? Do you need to take out an enemy rally or bunker/firebase before you attack? How about a bunker and some sandbags to defend your flag?

I never jumped into commanding straight away. I learned the game mechanics from the squad member position, then went to squad leading. Since I have started jumping into the hot seat regularly about 5 months ago I have been very successful. You will lose games. You will have games where nobody listens to you. You will have moments where you want to pull your hair out. But it is well worth it. When your team works together, communicates, and is efficient...it over-rides any previous fault you have had. It feels 20x better to command a winning team than to squad lead in one. If you haven't tried out commanding, give it a go. Don't give up on your first screw up, try again. Perfection doesn't come overnight. We need more guys that will step up.

Comment

Keep up the commanding. It gets easier over time. Frustration however grows so patience also needs to grow.

I hope more players take up the reins of commander for a little bit. If not only to realize what a commander has to go through. Perhaps then they will have more respect for a commander who is giving them an order and understand why that order is given.

Understanding of the big picture is always important.
                  "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                  "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

Yeah deltafart-- you were awesome. I was the Gunner for Havoc one on kashan. You gave me tons of targets that were promptly lased and ready to go. My best round gunning a chopper, only got shot down two times. Most of the credit goes to you, Always on your tows, and communicating with the squads. I finished the round 65-2.

Comment

Yeh, i remember leading the Armour squad on Zatar, we held our ground on airfield and did a kick arse counterattack, keep up the good commanding

Comment

Won my foruth battle, a whole round of Zatar Counterattack, got some kills in at the airfield too cause my first squad was being slightly moronic and trying to build a firebase in the hill to the right of it, that kept getting destroyed, and apcs came by to cap it, so i just picked a bunch of guys off, got an APC also and at least a squad with an LMG.
                        Though it wasn't as quick a victory, we still won by 120 tickets. Had some problems wiht americans at the factory and farm, but other than that, we did well. |TG|Zaboo should get a medal for his armor work.
                        sigpic

Comment

Some commanders like to sit at main base and just watch the battle map... bad idea. A good commander is mobile, always adjusting to what is happening to the team, and ALWAYS moving out with CO trucks to go build or help the team.

Also good commanders need not to focus on one particular squad and talk to them the entire round... else other squads feel singled out and have no direction in what to do. Pushing people hard to move on flags are give direct orders is what I like to do, and building is one of the most important things I do before attacking/defending a flag. Commanders have to prepare 24/7 for what might change on the battlefield... if the team isn't prepared or have any place to fall back on, it could very well be game over for the entire team.

So far, I've seen some fairly good commanders lately on TG, but a good suggestion is never become the obvious commander, do things radical, but not too radical ;). Most of all, haul ass in the CO trucks through firefights to get to the other side of the map where a truck is needed, those moments are my favorite :D.

Comment

yeah I had to taxi a truck to near sq 1s position because they didn't want to go to the bottom of the hill to the airfield to grab one. Said he couldnt do it-_- he had a lot of chances cuase he kept getting strafed by a littlebird. And yeah you're not supposed to stay at base, but Im still learnign the finer points of COing, and I know some of these guys are good with an M16. Wish we got some small attack helicopters, the mec equiv of the LB, so we can get some airsupport, we get killed by those friggin littlebirds, and when they keep landing the hueys behind us, we need something to mop up the issues. Yeah you'd need to put a dome of death to keep them from strafing the carrier though
                            sigpic

Comment

The whole northern side of Zatar is an exclusion zone. It needs to be increased because you can still easily sight and fire on the carrier but its better then the stock config

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X