This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server Rules for Main Bases

Under the new server rules, it has become illegal for a saboteur to fire under any circumstances, while infiltrating an enemy main base to destroy assets. I would like to register an extreme protest to this perversion of reality. I believe it is highly unrealistic, detrimental to fair gameplay, and goes against the spirit of Project Reality in general.

I do not make this argument out of a desire for self-gratification, I am against spawn-camping and base-raping. I am not even a strong advocate of infiltrating enemy bases to destroy assets, an act I perform rarely if ever. However I am still strongly opposed to this rule because of the principle it raises and the hypocrisy it is based on.

You cannot ask a player to restrain himself from firing his weapon, even in an enemy main base, when he is in a self-defense situation. First and foremost I would base my reasons for this statement on a realistic interpretation. I am not a member of a real life armed force, but I know several members of TG are, and I challenge any one of them to step forward and reveal to me a scenario, ANY scenario in which they believe they would not return fire when fired upon were they actually involved in special operations behind enemy lines.

With this understood, the new rule may as well be ordering all players to commit suicide, for it prevents them for taking any defensive measures while in an enemy base. Some might counter this point by saying that such players have the ability to hide and use stealth as their ally. To those people I concede only that they are foolish. Of course an infiltrator uses stealth and hides, but this argument concerns only those times when ones presence is discovered.

Then to anyone who might argue that if you are discovered you have failed in your infiltration and deserve to be shot, I simply again ask, show me any real life soldier who would agree with you.

This rule promotes hypocrisy of the worst kind because it allows a player to enter a main base but then takes away the ability most central to the game which that player is playing. There are only two solutions to this problem: either you accept that special forces operations DO take place and allow those players to defend themselves, or you remove completely the right of any player to enter an enemy base, for any reason.

Bottom line: War is not a game, and though it does have rules, those rules are extremely difficult to enforce, and are often broken. Project Reality is a game, but it is a game based on war, and thus subject to many of the same problems. If you honor the vision of PR's developers then you must accept that people are going to get shot in their main bases, it happens in war, and so it happens in PR as well.

Re: New Server Rules for Main Bases

Sorry disco, but it aint gonna happen. This has been brought up before, and while it is a convincing argument, the headache that allowing people to open fire in main base flags gives the admin staff isnt worth it. You have people that go in and shoot unprovoked. You have people that return fire at the wrong person and the guy who dies complains that theres a camper. You have everyone and their mother screaming "UCB camper!" the second they see someone inside the base, shooting or not. Each time something like that happens, the admin has to stop what they're doing and go investigate. It's easier to just say "no shooting or else", hypocrisy or not. Plus, the usefulness of UCB incursion missions is almost 0 these days as nobody ever really places their command post there anymore, and even if they did, theres no ticket loss for destruction of assets anymore AND the commander can just redrop the thing on a moments notice.

Comment

Thats fair and I respect the fact that the admins want to streamline operations. Then why not just go the final step and make entering enemy bases completely illegal? The way I see it, you are still opening yourself to just as many headaches this way, from people who will argue that they weren't actually "in" the uncap when they shot someone, or that when they detonated their C4 they weren't actually trying to kill anyone, just the Command Post. And if you are going to deal with those kinds of problems what is the difference? All I am saying is that you need to pick one way or the other, right now we are sitting on a fence, and sooner or later, its gonna start to chafe.

Comment

Rules are rules, they aren't going to change. Yes you have to be extremely careful, but that's just one more thing you're going to have to deal with if you want to infiltrate an enemy main to destroy assets. If we make UCB's completely off limits it brings up a whole new set of problems for us to deal with. The easiest way to deal with this situation is just to say no firing at all. If you think it's unfair just don't enter the enemy main.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X