Mortars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortars

Just wondering what people think about adding mortars to PR.

Alot of mods have them but they are implamented very badly. The way they are fired is either by right clicking for an over-head view using a spotters line of sight (unrealistic) o with a very low arc (also unrealistic).

The mortar class could have a scoped rifle and no grenades because of the tubes weight.

A complety new fireing method would have to be made up. I was thinking that when you are aiming all you have to go by is a meterage scale that appears on the screen along side the tube. You guess your enemys (or your SL tells you they are EG:125 meters away from using his binocs) range and fire one off. One of your SQ members then tells you that the round impacted EG: about 30 meters too short and 15 to the left. You then try compensate using your meterage scale. This method of aiming would be far more realistic to any other mods and make the mortar a whole squad effort.

Thoughts or suggestions on new aiming methods?

Or do you think they would be a pointless addition to PR?
    Nihility

Re: Mortars

well i think they should be something like a mortar sq, whit 1 or 2 spotters and a 3 or 4 tubes. then they could be used like the artillery in BF2, only less accurate and less lethal.

1 person in a sq with a mortar i dont think would be very usefull, since mortars are a mass fire weapon.
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

The 51mm mortar is often carried out in the field by small groups of soldiers.

Having a mortar squad would make them unfair. All you would have to do is set up in the main base and no one could attack them.
      Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
        The 51mm mortar is often carried out in the field by small groups of soldiers.

Having a mortar squad would make them unfair. All you would have to do is set up in the main base and no one could attack them.
        True that, I've personally expierenced this in PoE2. It was raining mortars but you could do nothing about it. Can get a bit annoying.

As for adding a mortar to PR I'm for it!

Soupy maybe you should suggest this on the PR forums if its not already done.

Good idea Soup
        |TG|
        ||||

Comment

Been a suggestion since .1...

Honestly, not worth the time. Teams are already stretched with tank crews, heli crews, jets, and other support roles as it. Having another 3 players (mortar, rifle, spotter/comms) would just take more from the team.
          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
            Been a suggestion since .1...

Honestly, not worth the time. Teams are already stretched with tank crews, heli crews, jets, and other support roles as it. Having another 3 players (mortar, rifle, spotter/comms) would just take more from the team.

Very true...
            And for most maps that is the case.Then you would always have the conflict with a fight for the kit.

But, then again what about maps such as EJOD Desert or Sunset City where it is infantry based. Having a mortar team backing you up would be pretty nice.
            |TG|
            ||||

Comment

What specifically don't you like about our mortars?

POE2 Developer

Comment

Wasn't "Mortarman" a class between 0.6 and 0.7, during one of the test releases?

Anyway, if you want Mortars, just go Grenadier... although you barely get any points at all for killing people. You can get the most kills on the server by faaar and still end up 15th place on your entire team. :)
                TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

oh lord, please let-a-hack and give us thine 150 people server..
                  in open source, thine efforts of creators.. bring asset to possibility in verbal tone towards the group which follows anew with your child.
                  listen close
                  to the rat-tat-tat-
                  as the metal flies,
                  we should know as fact:
                  that unearthly demons
                  are part of our pack,
                  and as we engage you
                  in battle we pass.

Comment

Norman, there is only one problem I see to your solution to the "cheap" targeting methods of previous efforts to implement mortars.

The squad leaders objective markers... they give range to target and the exact position.

Comment

I only would support a Mortar in use with Bunkers or Fire Bases.
                      I would also support a TOW Emplacement at Bunkers.
                      They would be Commander Assets.

I do not believe they should be carried in the field by Squads as it has too much potential of abuse. A more powerful Grenade Launcher is not something I want being carried around around the field. I don't care how long it takes to set it up.

Let it be only at Bunkers and Fire Bases for defense and offensive capabilities.
                      "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                      "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I don't know if the marines or army in the US have a Stryker variant where the main gun is a mortar. But in Canada we do quite well with our LAV III mortar variant. Maybe bringing in the M113 mortar platform or Stryker if it exists on infantry based maps would be good.

I don't like the squad based mortar for lack of man power reasons but vehicle carried mortars would just replace something already used and add a little more depth and paranoia that PR can never have enough of. "I think I hear a mor..." *KAPOW* "tar..."

EJOD and Qwai would never be the same... And maybe a vehicle might be used as infantry support for once!

Just did a quick search and "there IS a Stryker for that!" <- Should sell that slogan to general dynamics
                        120mm Mortar in PR for president in 2008!

Last edited by Rafterman1987; 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Grenadier kit sitting next to a firebase, enough said.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I don't believe a mortars class would be a very good idea. I can already see people just camping out spots with it. Besides getting killed by a random explosion, from the sky that you can't do much about, is one of the most frustrating things in any game.
                            |TG-Irr|WarV

Comment

Originally posted by WarV View Post
                              I don't believe a mortars class would be a very good idea. I can already see people just camping out spots with it. Besides getting killed by a random explosion, from the sky that you can't do much about, is one of the most frustrating things in any game.
                              Probably pretty much sucks in real life, too ;)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaIDtL_tck[/MEDIA]

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X