X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soupy_Norman
    started a topic Mortars

Mortars

Just wondering what people think about adding mortars to PR.

Alot of mods have them but they are implamented very badly. The way they are fired is either by right clicking for an over-head view using a spotters line of sight (unrealistic) o with a very low arc (also unrealistic).

The mortar class could have a scoped rifle and no grenades because of the tubes weight.

A complety new fireing method would have to be made up. I was thinking that when you are aiming all you have to go by is a meterage scale that appears on the screen along side the tube. You guess your enemys (or your SL tells you they are EG:125 meters away from using his binocs) range and fire one off. One of your SQ members then tells you that the round impacted EG: about 30 meters too short and 15 to the left. You then try compensate using your meterage scale. This method of aiming would be far more realistic to any other mods and make the mortar a whole squad effort.

Thoughts or suggestions on new aiming methods?

Or do you think they would be a pointless addition to PR?

• Sabre_Tooth_Tigger
    replied
    Re: Mortars

Militia cant deploy AA so they should get to deploy Zis-3 instead :D

The m203 next to a crate or whatever is definitly possible, I wouldnt call it simple because its easy to just miss any target of significance but creating a smoke screen to advance under is no problem especially if more then one guy did it

Leave a comment:

• DeltaFart
    replied

Yeah the BF2 anim is nutty
    I'd like to see maybe after 30 minutes having ability for CO to call in artillery, and than every 20 minutes after that(to prevent spam) that can be used a certain distance from a set emplacement(spawn it like the COPost) and have a person call in coordinates so a CO doesn't just keep landing it in same area doing nothing

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied

Originally posted by zephyr89 View Post
    It is totally true. if you actually get good with a grenadier you will see what we mean. Grenadier can shoot 300m+ and has a large kill radius like 10-15M.
    Grenadier = love

Leave a comment:

• Supervisor84
    replied

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
    If the mortar was a vehicle then only a bunker would resupply it like that and it seems good that a bunker has a range of destruction or kill area around it.
    When we assaulted miltia bunker the other day we had some home made pr artillery going on with the zis-3 and tank firing down shells on us, mortars could be cool like that
    Yeh or why not have Commander or Squad Leader-deployed stationary field artillery such as one or several mortars or howitzers that could only be deployed near a bunker or firebase?

That would simply ROCK (take it from a former artilleryman hehe) and it could also change the way Artillery missions are granted by the Commander. Like they can't shoot anywhere on the entire map as it is today in BF2, only some X kilometres or whatnot.

My eyes were bleeding when I saw the vanilla BF2 guns pointing straight into the sky to drop shells like 2km from their own position, wtf? haha.. and I guess it was physically true to what was happening in the game engine! :S

___
    Last edited by Supervisor84; 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zephyr89
    replied

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
    Grenadier kit sitting next to a firebase, enough said.
    It is totally true. if you actually get good with a grenadier you will see what we mean. Grenadier can shoot 300m+ and has a large kill radius like 10-15M.

Leave a comment:

• Googol
    replied

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
    Been a suggestion since .1...

Honestly, not worth the time. Teams are already stretched with tank crews, heli crews, jets, and other support roles as it. Having another 3 players (mortar, rifle, spotter/comms) would just take more from the team.
    He's completely right.

Leave a comment:

• Sabre_Tooth_Tigger
    replied

If the mortar was a vehicle then only a bunker would resupply it like that and it seems good that a bunker has a range of destruction or kill area around it.

When we assaulted miltia bunker the other day we had some home made pr artillery going on with the zis-3 and tank firing down shells on us, mortars could be cool like that

Leave a comment:

• Delta*RandyShugart*
    replied

if mortars became available, then the mortar spam (sitting right next to a crate/multiple crates/firebases/bunkers) would be unbelievable........I used to do that type of trickery back in my first tour while playing BF:Vietnam all the time.....i say let the dev's fix the bugs and get some new maps on board.

Or put a nice 3-4 man AWACS (so you know where all the enemy air support is all the time[jk]), or B-52 bomber for some carpet bombing........a little Arc-Light action.

Leave a comment:

• Soupy_Norman
    replied

Originally posted by WarV View Post
    I don't believe a mortars class would be a very good idea. I can already see people just camping out spots with it. Besides getting killed by a random explosion, from the sky that you can't do much about, is one of the most frustrating things in any game.
    Yeah but its also realistic. Maybe people would camp with it. But it would also stop the enmy camping! If it keeps raining HE rounds they aint gonna hang around too long. Either send out a search party of retreat.

Im all for it anyways...

Leave a comment:

• Soupy_Norman
    replied

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
    Norman, there is only one problem I see to your solution to the "cheap" targeting methods of previous efforts to implement mortars.

The squad leaders objective markers... they give range to target and the exact position.
    Damn....i forgot that. Good spot!

Hmm, i supose maybe the first shell could allways land a good bit off after you take the first shot and all shots after this (untill the tube is re-packed) will be gauged off of this. That would mean someone would have to tell you where the first one landed....if you cant see it.

no?

Leave a comment:

• disposableHero
    replied

Originally posted by WarV View Post
    I don't believe a mortars class would be a very good idea. I can already see people just camping out spots with it. Besides getting killed by a random explosion, from the sky that you can't do much about, is one of the most frustrating things in any game.
    Probably pretty much sucks in real life, too ;)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euaIDtL_tck[/MEDIA]

Leave a comment:

• WarV
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thegreatnardini
    replied

Grenadier kit sitting next to a firebase, enough said.

Leave a comment:

• Rafterman1987
    replied

I don't know if the marines or army in the US have a Stryker variant where the main gun is a mortar. But in Canada we do quite well with our LAV III mortar variant. Maybe bringing in the M113 mortar platform or Stryker if it exists on infantry based maps would be good.

I don't like the squad based mortar for lack of man power reasons but vehicle carried mortars would just replace something already used and add a little more depth and paranoia that PR can never have enough of. "I think I hear a mor..." *KAPOW* "tar..."

EJOD and Qwai would never be the same... And maybe a vehicle might be used as infantry support for once!

Just did a quick search and "there IS a Stryker for that!" <- Should sell that slogan to general dynamics
    120mm Mortar in PR for president in 2008!

Last edited by Rafterman1987; 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X