Out of Gas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Gas?

Ok, here's a thought I had. Wanted to get the advice of the TG community before I post into PR forums.

While realizing this is still just a game, we like it to get as real as we can without making it impossible or boring to play. Here's my thought.

What if helicopters had, say, a 10-15 minute flight before it required gas...meaning once every 10-15 minutes a helicopter would have to go back to base and "refuel" for 2-3 minutes. Think about it fully before you draw an early conclusion. From the enemy standpoint, it would change the game play, I think. Say Kashan Desert, an enemy squad is pinned inside the North Bunker by attack chopper. Chopper notices it's low on gas so heads back to base. Enemy sees helicopter leave and realizes they have 2-3 minutes to move to South Bunker (or any of the other bunkers) before flying boom-boom stick would be back.

And if the helicopter "ran out of gas" it wouldn't just plummet to the ground. U'd basically just lose all thrust. (Like if u fly with keyboard, pressing W would do nothing). Which it's still very much landable, like in real life. And if u had to crash land somewhere, maybe an supply crate drop off or command truck could "fill u up".

Again, just an idea to maybe improve game play. If you don't like it, please don't start yelling, just type the faults with this. I know this wouldn't work with all vehicles (total mayhem), but at least for choppers and maybe jets.

(Disclaimer) I don't know squat about the BF2 engine, so if this isn't even possible could an admin just lock it and let it die.
    sigpic
    I'm Back.

Re: Out of Gas?

I know as much about girls as I do the BF2 engine (nothing). So, I don't know how possible it would be, but its for sure a thought.

But, one thing i do know is that helicopters and jets can fly for hours before having to re-feul. And from my experience, jets or attack choppers don't last that long in PR.

Good Idea, (your ideas are always good) but I don't think it would make the game more realistic, but rather more work for the DEV crew and a more complicated game.
    |TG|
    ||||

Comment

You could apply the same to tanks, jeeps, and CO trucks. They would have to go to a bunker or fb to refuel as well as rearm.

Not possible in the engine though, and I don't see it improving game play. Put it in the same category as random gun jams: things that happen in real life but really don't belong in a computer game.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

It sounds cool, but honestly I'd rather have them focus on more important things instead of a fuel supply that won't affect most pilots since you aren't in the air for more than a few minutes at a time anyways.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Yeah, it wouldn't impact gameplay. ARMA has this feature, but most of the time it's irrelevant: if you're flying, you usually land pretty often back at your base anyway...
          Skud

Comment

I can't ever remember having gone below a quarter tank of gas in Arma in ANY vehicle, except for the Strikers that people sometimes use for 12 hours+ clearing all the way across the map. Since the Strikers don't have fuel gauges, we were completely at a loss for why the Striker couldn't be moved out of Bagango... then somebody had a bright idea and brought a fuel truck over, on the pre-Engineer version. :)
            TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

Yeah-- ive never seen a helicopter ever go far enough to lose gas, based on the size of the maps, it would only take a few seconds to get back to base, a minutes to refuel, and a few seconds to get back. barely enough time for a squad to carry out a whole attack.
              Unless you're in my squad, that is :P.

Comment

Originally posted by pwn3ge106 View Post
                barely enough time for a squad to carry out a whole attack.
                Unless you're in my squad, that is...
                Yeah if you were in his squad you would probably spend the round running in circles

lol jking
                |TG|
                ||||

Comment

I realize that helicopters can fly a whole lot longer than 15 minutes on gas, but entire wars aren't fought in 1.5 hours either...I was just using a scale. And if it's impossible to do with the BF2 engine then there's no argument. So I will not post in PR forums as I will probably get flamed. :)
                  sigpic
                  I'm Back.

Comment

Nice thought but not able to be done with the current BF2 engine so it makes the point mute.
                    "Young gamers assault while Older gamers flank."
                    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

if you had to refuel the tanks, kashan would have gasstations allower the map.
                      The abrahms wouldnt even make it to south bunker :)

Comment

Realism rules! How about we add gas prices and taxes as well? We could make it into a full blown country and military budget sim. Name "Military city".

We could make kits like Accountant and Lawyer, equipped with widescreen laptop or regular laptop with extra battery capacity.

Comment

lol^......ok i c ur point...it's good as is.
                          sigpic
                          I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfast View Post
                            Realism rules! How about we add gas prices and taxes as well? We could make it into a full blown country and military budget sim. Name "Military city".

We could make kits like Accountant and Lawyer, equipped with widescreen laptop or regular laptop with extra battery capacity.
                            I heart Sarcasm! lol
                            sigpic

Comment

if you want an engine that support so much realist you will have to look for arma

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X