Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shader check, why is it causing so much lag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shader check, why is it causing so much lag?

Hey guys I would like a little help understanding wy the new PB checks are wrecking frame rates left and right.

First my system is not blindingly fast but probably ok by BF2/PR standards:

2.42 dual core
    8800 GTS 320MB oc'2
    2 GB of ram

Now I have seen some very helpful posts suggesting getting more RAM etc but I think that kind of just skirts the issue. I have never had frame rate issues on PR. Not even when I upgraded to a 24" monitor and started running PR at 1900 by 1200. It looked incredible and still smooth as silk.

Since the shader check thing I get bouts of lag that render the game unplayable and I simply have to go prone and wait for it to stop. Not easy in a fire fight. Why have Punkbuster ruined our game again for some people.

I have done the PB sleep thing and that has helped a little but I can't get PR running like it used to. I have also seen it suggested that you should delete your PR/BF2 cache folders etc. I am loathe to do this as I had about 3 weeks of problems getting PB to update correctly last time and I don't want to mess around with anything and make things worse.
    Also I'm sure someone posted that doing this led them to end up re-installing which I'd like to avoid.

Do the PR community ever get on to PB to complain about the problems their lousy software creates?

If anyone has any information on this subject or can think of any fixes or just guide me through how to correctly carry out the ones previously mentioned I'd be really grateful.

This happens on all maps not just the forested ones which leads me to believe (maybe incorrectly) that it is not a RAM/gfx card issue.

Anyway any help or information is welcome. I am not very PC savvy so apologies.

Cheers

Wicks

Re: Shader check, why is it causing so much lag?

I set my pr.exe in task manager to high priority. and one core affinity.
    I set my Bf2.exe to high priority and my affinity to the other core.
    All other process' is at low.
    This is with 24" at 1920 x 1200 also, and hd3870 with crossfire.
    But it worked with a single ati x1600 on 1680 x 1080.
    And on one hd3870 before i built a new system and put in crossfire setup.
    Try it.
    ctrl + alt + del. after pr startup.
    Right click bf2 exe.....select priority.....select high.
    Right click bf2 exe.....select affinity....check one box only.
    Same for pr.exe except. select the other CORE box.
    Try it. It works for me or I do it out of paranoia...not sure yet.
    Ohh yeah, set all the other processes with your user name on to LOW priority.
    I also set them,"the other process'" to a core other than bf2 .exe lately, it works out, maybe im wrong on the last one, but it leaves bf2.exe on one core as a high priority and all else is on the other with the shaders on highest priority.
    Try it, Man.

Comment

Im not sure it is, is it

Anyway try typing into the console

pb_sleep 500, and press enter.

Then type in pb_writecfg

Also defrag the hard drive and reboot before playing

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by jOHNNYdOUBE View Post
        I set my pr.exe in task manager to high priority. and one core affinity.
        I set my Bf2.exe to high priority and my affinity to the other core.
        All other process' is at low.
        I've set the affinity to use 2 cores out of 4 each and I can't really tell the difference..did you noticed a real improvement?

"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Comment

I dont know about PB so much but pr/bf2 does not use very much cpu time at all.
          If you had every player in a separate vehicle all on your screen at once then I would like to see the cpu read out but even then I dont see it troubling a conroe core

I once halved my cpu speed by accident years ago and it made no difference till half way through the game when about 5 vehicles came into view, must be the polygons or something

Try a util called enditall
          It will close random interfering applications without disturbing anything vital to play

Try anything that might work but windows should be delegating separate apps to different cores anyway, bf2 itself is single threaded

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I just had this again. Qwai starts and its lagging worse then usual but not unplayable at all, so I figure its just loading textures which is a normal kind of lag you get on new map starts and qwai has alot of textures
            Anyway it continues to lag, judder occasionally at various points where I encounter new viewpoints in the map. Again I dont normally have this that much but its playable

Then later on in the game I hop into a heli as a passenger, for anyone who doesnt fly you should know this can massively increase this kind of lag due to increased rate at which the map must load - parts of it Ive never seen must be loaded in still

The computer struggles harder to cope, more and more lag till its like really bad merlin or huey lag 1 screen update every 2 seconds then it hangs for 5 seconds while looping the sound and tells me my jabal map is no good Md5 error

Im wondering if the guys who are getting the MD5 error especially are just failing to provide PB with the info it requires fast enough. If you ask a hard drive to do two things at once, its an excellent way to cause lag and triple the time of both tasks.

Loading the current map in play and hash checking all PR maps at once would be very laggy, causing the error?

PB is not tolerant enough of slower computers? If you get a MD5 error in future try to say how long you were playing the map for and were you kicked when visting a part of the map you had not viewed extensively previously

Maybe the MD5 error kick should double check its results before kicking ?
            Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 05-03-2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X